Bad ESN

Status
Not open for further replies.

slopra

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
There's a guy selling an epic 4g touch on craigslist with what he says is a bad esn. Is there anyway i can verify thats whats wrong and whether its fixable before i buy it?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

L A Z I Z A

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
There's a guy selling an epic 4g touch on craigslist with what he says is a bad esn. Is there anyway i can verify thats whats wrong and whether its fixable before i buy it?

If you plan on using the phone on Sprint, which I think you are, then don't. Do not buy the phone. The problem with it is just that: the ESN is bad. Which means the phone either has been reported lost/stolen or the Sprint bill hasn't been paid. Bad ESN phones are NOT able to be activated on the Sprint network under any circumstances. The reason that there is a market for bad ESN phones is that they can be flashed and activated on Boost Mobile, Cricket, etc., 'prepaid' no contract companies.

My assumption is that you're interested in it because the price is low. Bad ESN phone prices are always lower than market value of good ESN phones. The good thing is that the seller is open about the phone having a bad ESN. Sometimes you will find a seller selling a phone as good ESN, and it may have a good ESN when checking with Sprint over the phone at the point of sale, only to find out 1-2 business days later that the phone's ESN has gone bad because of it being reported lost/stolen.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: chew dz

slopra

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It helped a lot. Thanks man. I wont be buying it cause yea I want it for sprint lol
Well if anybody reads this and wants an epic touch with a bad esn for cricket...there's one on sanantonio Craigslist for 200

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Yet another reason not to buy a used phone on Craigslist. You have no recourse. On Ebay at least you are somewhat protected against a seller mis-representing an item and you can get a refund.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site

I know this is a little late, but there is a way to verify what is wrong with it. First of all Sprint will tell you. Secondly, there are ways to get bad esns fixed depending on what is wrong with them. I know people will shout from the root tops that it's impossible, but it's not. It also does not require anything un-ethical or illigal to do it and it doesn't include changing the esn - which is questionable to the legality and ethical-ness of it. I am also not talking about insurance fraud. If you want some more details PM me.

njt462

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
If you call Sprint and be nice yet firm about how the phone is yours and you want to use it Account Services / Cancellations have the power to remove and ESN from the black list and make it usable. It may take a few tries to get a rep to do it but if they wont be nice and say well then I guess I am going to have to leave to go somewhere else because this phone is owned by me and in perfect working order.

If it was reported lost or stolen through the Insurance company and not Sprint then the ESN is still good. When you call into the insurance company to do a claim or online they ask you did you call Sprint to report this if you say yes they take your word for it that they locked the ESN and will replace your phone if you never reported it to them there system will still read the ESN as good.

Darlenii

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
I know this is a little late, but there is a way to verify what is wrong with it. First of all Sprint will tell you. Secondly, there are ways to get bad esns fixed depending on what is wrong with them. I know people will shout from the root tops that it's impossible, but it's not. It also does not require anything un-ethical or illigal to do it and it doesn't include changing the esn - which is questionable to the legality and ethical-ness of it. I am also not talking about insurance fraud. If you want some more details PM me.

Can u please help me fix or tell me how to fix the esn on a
Phone ivrecently bought!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith