I was wondering if there is any way to force the phone to 'ask' for more power through USB without tying the data pins together. Basically heres what I want:

- I have a 4 port powered USB hub in my truck. This hub has a 2.6A DC adapter.
    - The hub is for several devices that I have permanently installed, so that I can just have one cord going to a laptop. This includes a webcam, gps puck, and OBD2 interface. None of these require 'charging'.
    - I want to permanently run a USB cord from the hub to the car cradle, for power/charging and wired tethering (which is why the data lines can't be tied).

I know the USB charging mode is very low power (100mA) which from what I understand is actually not enough to keep up with drain if you are using say, Nav with the 3g or 4g modem, Bluetooth, and the display on.

I have also tried, and even when plugged into the powered hub (whether it is connected to the computer or not), the phone still slow charges (says Charging USB). So as is, it's not even bothering to check if extra power is available.

I have root (stock ROM, no changes), so I can install apps if needed. But with the way I will be using it, I need it to be in high power mode (500mA) while being able to use the USB data lines.

Thanks!
    12-03-2011 08:51 AM
    The standard output on USB 2.0 is 100 mA. No way around it. Stick with the 1.0A micro USB plug-in charger.
    USB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    12-03-2011 05:57 PM
    Umm, not helpful, thanks. Since the standard DOES allow for high current devices, there obviously IS a way around it. The device can request up to 500mA from the host. I need to know if the phone can be made to do that via a setting or app.
    12-03-2011 06:20 PM
    Hmm...well the default power output for USB 2.0 is 100mA, and you are right that USB 2.0 can output 500mA, the question is on how this is accomplished.

I know for some devices connected to a PC (like a blackberry), in order to get the higher output draw, the proper device driver has to be loaded for the OS to know that the device can accept the higher power draw. Otherwise it won't know and just stick to the standard 100mA. So in this case it isn't the device telling the OS what it can take, but the driver telling the OS that the device can handle it.

I'm not sure if the device can "ask" for a higher output power draw other than a driver loaded to an OS which allows it to know what to send to the device.
    12-03-2011 09:43 PM
    I have the Samsung driver pack installed - it's a requirement for rooting and tethering. I've done a little more looking and it seems that I should be able to do this by changing the hub for one that is BC 1.1 compliant. BC1.1 is built off the UCS (Universal Charging Standard), which allows a powered hub to supply up to 1800mA per port with no data, 1500mA per port in USB 1.1 or 2.0 mode and up to 900mA in USB 3.0 mode without software negotiation.

I just ordered one of these for $20, so when it gets here I'll let you guys know if it works.

Amazon.com: Plugable USB 2.0 4 Port Hub and BC 1.1 Fast Charger (Supports Kindle): Electronics
    12-03-2011 10:12 PM
    I have the Samsung driver pack installed - it's a requirement for rooting and tethering. I've done a little more looking and it seems that I should be able to do this by changing the hub for one that is BC 1.1 compliant. BC1.1 is built off the UCS (Universal Charging Standard), which allows a powered hub to supply up to 1800mA per port with no data, 1500mA per port in USB 1.1 or 2.0 mode and up to 900mA in USB 3.0 mode without software negotiation.

I just ordered one of these for $20, so when it gets here I'll let you guys know if it works.

Amazon.com: Plugable USB 2.0 4 Port Hub and BC 1.1 Fast Charger (Supports Kindle): Electronics
    Click to view quoted image
    Did it work?
    12-28-2011 12:06 AM
    Did the new hub work the way you expected?

Please post back some results. Not that you owe people here any answers, but it would be extremely helpful for the rest of us.
    I have been searching for a similar setup for a while, and it's amazing how many people will respond to a question with just nonsense.

Reading about someone's attempt to find a solution (whether they did or not) is very helpful.
    01-25-2012 12:38 PM
    I have quite a high end motherboard on a gaming rig at home, It has an option in the bios to make the usb3 ports BC 1.1 compliant. I can confirm this does charge a lot faster than any other usb, i would say same time as the wall charger (htc one). For these adaptors someones talking about I have no idea if they work but BC 1.1 is what you need and can only be gained through a usb 3 port usb2 2 ports will not supply the current needed .
    01-27-2014 08:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD