So the Epic Touch...

Unibrow

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
freaking RULES. Words cannot describe how incredibly happy I am thus far with this phone. To compare it to my Evo 4g, it's just not even on the same level. Not sure why people knock Samsung for the build quality, seems about a million times better than my Evo 4g. No flex or creaking, battery door actually fits the back snugly and no light leakage.

Got it Friday, on all days but my daughters birthday, and managed to capture some high quality video (in the dark mind you) of her blowing out her candles. Video editing on this is a dream, just played around with it for the first time today. I haven't had any LOS issues yet but I've not had it that long.

Only problems I have are that Carrier IQ business, I know root and rom but I'm wanting to leave it stock at least for now and the other minor quibble I have is the Android OS showing up high on what's eating the battery. Battery life seems pretty good so I"m not sure it honestly makes a difference. I am thinking that it might be related to screeble pro (keeps the screen on in certain orientations) but others have said this is a known bug that some people are having. I'll have to get a better evaluation of battery life over the next few days.

Anyone that is thinking of getting this phone should, I have suffered ZERO lag and honestly I"m actually impressed with touchwiz.

-Uni

fivegear

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I am betting that the Carrier IQ thing will result in an option to disable it. If not I guess I will root the phone, I am like you and would rather just leave it stock though.

Android32

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I came from an Evo as well. I really like my E4GT. Can't wait for the 4.0 update. I've heard everything from very soon to the 2nd quarter of 2012. I read today that Samsung started testing the ICS today w/ Nexus S w/ their employees. And yes, it definitely blows away the ole Evo 4G! Been thinking about rooting, but I'm gonna wait as well. Looking forward to that ICS update! :)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I am with you Unibrow, love this phone!

The LOS is only an issue if you're in a fringe area and the phone switches from Sprint to roaming while receiving and sending data. There is a fix for this being tested so hopefully we will get that update soon.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Only problems I have are that Carrier IQ business, I know root and rom but I'm wanting to leave it stock at least for now and the other minor quibble I have is the Android OS showing up high on what's eating the battery.

I think this whole Carrier IQ thing is being blown WAY out of proportion.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I think this whole Carrier IQ thing is being blown WAY out of proportion.

Probably, but the way people are finding out about it is the problem. The fact that it exists on our phones should have been more in the face of buyers, like an additional one-page document that the buyer signs in addition to the service contract acknowledging that the software exists on the phone and a bit about what it does. People finding out about this after the fact makes people think something sneaky is going on, especially when a video is taken showing the service recording keystrokes and the content of text messages.

Sprint spends money for every copy installed on a handset, so they obviously don't want to allow for a user based opt-out. So, with the only opt-out option being "don't buy the phone" then it should be better stated at the time of purchase that the software is on the phone so the buyer has the choice.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Im extremely happy with mine too! I had been on Android since June of 10 with my og evo. I made the mistake of buying an iphone (jesusphone) on Black Friday, I could only take it until yesterday, it was generic and locked down, I couldnt take it any longer.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree.....Came from a htc eve, original from launch day 1 and the epic touch BLOWS it away. I couldn't be more pleased with this phone.........Enuf said :)

mike104393

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I definitely have to agree with the OP. I had my doubts about this phone, after 3 months of owning it, I can truthfully say that I am still impressed everytime I use it. Also, welcome OP to the forum and congratulations on your new purchase. A few tips I would suggest to make your experience just 10 times better. Root your phone to unlock the hidden gems that this phone offers. Secondly, get lcd resolution which will give you so much more surface space to work and will make your screen a high def resolution. Lastely, jump on to ebay or amazon and pick yourself a spare battery. This will ensure you maximum usage without worrying about your phone dieing out. Ether way, Enjoy!!!!!!

luigidk

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
:Yes - this is a GREAT phone.

My son just got the EVO 3D - and that is nice - but the size/feel/performance of the E4GT is much better. I put on a really great screen protector "Steinheil-Ultra FINE" and love it. I go back and forth with a case - just have a simple TC rubber liner that adds some protection without bulk.

HOWEVER - the phone w/o a case is SO sleek... as long as I have the screen protector - the case may go...

I have rooted my device - (running BlazerROM) and am very happy I did so. It is quite easy.

That said - totally understand why you would not root and flash! Main reason I did was for tethering.

I put together some pretty basic steps on how to do this as I couldn't seem to find any one consistent instruction... you can find it here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...38344-ready-flash-some-final-help-please.html

Reactions: Android32

Unibrow

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm only shying away from rooting and roming my sgs2 because with my Evo it always had some kind of bug that annoyed me. Nearly not even the same level as the Pre but still. The epic just works, so far anyway, and thus I don't want to monkey around with it at all...at least not yet. Only reason I'd root at this point is because of tethering, granted I don't even use it that often but when my daughter is on her galaxy 5.0 and wants to download an app or chat with her friends i would just tether my Evo. :cool:

saleen2002

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
hey every one i just got my new S2 and i wanted to know whats the easiest way to get my contacts and stuff from my evo4g transfered over ? thanks

Android32

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
All your contacts, (#s & emails) ... Should be already in your phone once you enter your email... They are attached to your gmail.. Soon as you type your email and password in they will sync..

Reactions: saleen2002

luigidk

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
All your contacts, (#s & emails) ... Should be already in your phone once you enter your email... They are attached to your gmail.. Soon as you type your email and password in they will sync..

Assuming you keep all your contacts and such in a gmail account. If they are on a device or not in a web account then you have to find a way to export and import them.

My Pre had a nice little app that exported all my contacts into a file - which I then imported into my gmail account.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes