Improved Sprint Data Connection...

Night Train

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to say that I've been pleased with the improved data service from Sprint lately. In the last couple of weeks I've noticed a strong 4G signal inside my house where before it wasn't there. The 3G signal at my workplace is much improved as well.

Kudos to Sprint for these noticeable improvements.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
They apparently have been working on the network for the last several weeks, and I notice an improvement as well!

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Wish I could say the same. Here in the DC metro area speeds are very spotty. Some spots you will average 700-1100 kbps down and in many spots 100-300 kbps down which is unacceptable. I actually considered switching to maybe At&t if these speeds dont improve. Dont want to but dont know how much more I can take

bravesfan21

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Wish I could say the same. Here in the DC metro area speeds are very spotty. Some spots you will average 700-1100 kbps down and in many spots 100-300 kbps down which is unacceptable. I actually considered switching to maybe At&t if these speeds dont improve. Dont want to but dont know how much more I can take

Is that with a 4g phone?? I tested the SG4GT at a Sprint store with wifi off and got download speeds of 12 mbps.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I was talking about their 3G speeds. The wimax in the DC area is decent with average downloads of 6-8 Mbps but it is spotty. The 3G speeds are not nearly as fast as they should be.......At least in this area.

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Im going to go out on a limb and say that I agree..The speeds are much better and i am happy. All your realistically need is speeds at 450k down and the phone seems fast and efficient enough. Im begginning to enjoy my TOUCH..Altough my LOS has increased..where the hell is the update though..it shouldn't take this long!!! This is Samsungs fault

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I will agree with you about the face that 450k down is more than sufficient but when you are seeing 3G speeds at various times throughout the day at 100-300 kbps down and the network vision map says "we have completed upgrades in your area that will increase speed", thats a problem :-[

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting 171 down, 116 up where I'm at. I rarely see anything resembling decent speeds on Sprint. Nothing like standing around like an idiot places waiting for a simple web page to take 90 seconds to load. :(

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
1 thing to consider especially in DC area is the time of day and how many other people are doing the same. When I get to DC now and then, I average between 700 to 1mb around New York and Florida at the Fedex building but that is usually around 7 pm.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that is true in many of the major metro area's.....Im not asking for super fast 3G speeds, just what they are supposed to be (as advertised by sprint) on a consistent basis.... I can live with 600-800 kbps down but 100-300 :( Not good enough

INCyr

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Glad to know I'm not the only one in the DC area that isn't happy with their speeds. I JUST joined Sprint - picked up my Epic Touch 4g last night, and have spent a large part of today playing with it, and I'm really really frustrated by how slow the speeds seem to be. I just came from Virgin Mobile, and I was hoping my issues were with my phone, but now I'm seriously considering the fact that maybe some of my issues were with the network as well - but even then, it seems like I had BETTER service on Virgin than I do on Sprint today.

I'm down in the NoVA area, so I'm on the other side of the beltway, so I'm wondering if this entire city just isn't worth it for Sprint, which sucks, as I've been looking forward to getting onto Sprint for a while now.

androidpirate

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Glad to know I'm not the only one in the DC area that isn't happy with their speeds. I JUST joined Sprint - picked up my Epic Touch 4g last night, and have spent a large part of today playing with it, and I'm really really frustrated by how slow the speeds seem to be. I just came from Virgin Mobile, and I was hoping my issues were with my phone, but now I'm seriously considering the fact that maybe some of my issues were with the network as well - but even then, it seems like I had BETTER service on Virgin than I do on Sprint today.

I'm down in the NoVA area, so I'm on the other side of the beltway, so I'm wondering if this entire city just isn't worth it for Sprint, which sucks, as I've been looking forward to getting onto Sprint for a while now.

virgin mobile uses the sprint network.

INCyr

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm aware that Virgin uses the Sprint network, which is why it's even more frustrating that I seem to get worse service with the Epic Touch than I did with my Optimus V.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Been with sprint for a while and the speeds were not this bad before......150-300 down is just not average. I will stay with sprint because of future network upgrades and lte, it WILL get better, its just a question of when :mad:

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Been with sprint for a while and the speeds were not this bad before......150-300 down is just not average. I will stay with sprint because of future network upgrades and lte, it WILL get better, its just a question of when :mad:

Exactly! It will get better. Got to remember though, upgrades take a while to complete and is incremental. In my opinion, they are working hard to get better speeds. My speeds here in central Florida were terrible when the Evo was released but after a year, it seemed to even out to 400 - 800 down, sometimes higher, sometimes lower (depending on time of day) on 3G as opposed to 200-400 before.

Although I can digress on the Photon though. It was fast enough but compared to my E4GT here at my house (and anywhere for that matter), the E4GT eats the photon for lunch in 3G speeds. Overall I'm happy with this phone and Sprint. Been with them for 10 years in February and never really had a problem with them....soley my experience....yours might vary.

Disclaimer: No animals were harmed in the making of this post....

bobvanjr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I haven't checked mine in awhile because it was so crappy but I just checked on 3g and got 7-800 down and around 100 up. Sadly, that is an AMAZING improvement. My buddies at work routinely get over 2mbps on Verizon and Att. I used to get under 100 down so I guess I shouldn't complain.

It does seem like an improvement and it makes the phone functional.

Mid-Michigan btw

bobvanjr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
So it's now about 5:45pm...traditionally a REALLY slow time on the network and I was just pulling 1.4-1.7 mbps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never had speeds that fast on 3g with Sprint ever. Something changed.

It's funny but I just mentioned somewhere yesterday on the forums that I experienced my first Los yesterday and I was worried. Restarts and battery pulls didn't help. It probably lasted around an hour or so with a spotty connection.

Anyways, I'm wondering if they were transitioning or doing something yesterday to improve the network? Sure seems like it. Speeds like this can't be a fluke. I'm at work and I can't wait to get home and try it and see if it's any better in my town. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

qfnol31

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

Do not use AT&T in DC. I had it for two years and Sprint has been a huge improvement.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I wont....I am gonna stay with sprint, I am disappointed with the 3G speeds right now but the best things comes to those who wait, so I will be patience..............For now :)