I live in Indianapolis, and as of right now there is no 4G signal here. I just bought the E4GT and was wondering if anyone knew when sprint does roll out its LTE network if this awesome phone will support that service. If not I will be sad.... just like the rest of you I'm sure.
    12-07-2011 12:36 PM
    It's not an LTE phone. WiMAX only. They are not expected to start rolling out LTE phones until mid to late 2012, with the service going live late 2012 to early 2013. However, they ARE going to be running the WiMAX network and LTE side by side until LTE is established.

Have you actually tried turning on 4G or are you just going by the map? Because the Sprint map doesn't show all of the active 4G sites. Go by the map at CLEAR | 4G WiMAX Internet Coverage Map with Service Area., because that shows where the WiMAX service has gone live but is still 'unsupported'. Indianapolis is shown to have 4G coverage inside the beltway.
    12-07-2011 01:00 PM
    So what your sayIng Is Im a sucker. You know I have no problem with sprint but I see why every one gets upset. Stuff lIke this, this phone will be useless once the lte Is lIvee
    12-07-2011 01:52 PM
    Umm, no? Did you read what I said? They aren't going to just shut down WiMAX when they turn on LTE. They are going to run WiMAX 'overlaid' with the LTE system while LTE is being built out. You'll be long out of contract before that phone will be useless. Believe me, it's going to be at least two years beyond the date they sell the last WiMAX phone, unless they are planning on doing free upgrades to in-contract customers with WiMAX phones. They can't just sunset a technology while people are stuck in a contract with equipment that runs on it. To do so would be a legal nightmare.

People get upset because they don't pay attention to the full story and they overreact. The sky is not falling.
    12-07-2011 02:19 PM
    Thanks for the info I checked the CLEAR coverage but it looks like you have to pay for it. Do they have some sort of deal with sprint
    12-07-2011 02:56 PM
    Clear is the company that Sprint contracted with to build the WiMAX network. Every 4G area on the Sprint map is Clearwire. You don't have to pay for it, it's included in the $10 fee you already pay (Clear sells their own plans with their own phones/devices too). The phone will just start using it if it grabs a signal. In fact, when it connects, if you go under Settings -> Wireless and Networks -> 4G settings, it'll say Sprint under the network name.

Trust me, I tried it myself. My little hick town in Kansas is in one of the Clear 4G bubbles, but not on the Sprint 4G map. I turned on 4G on the phone, lo and behold I got a message "4G Network Connected", and it says Sprint under the 4G network name. I ran a speed test and it's definitely running on 4G - 1.5-2Mbps up and 9-10Mbps down.
    riggs170 likes this.
    12-07-2011 04:56 PM
    Same for me. I'm not on Sprint's coverage map at all. But Clearwire has a tower here and my 4G works on it.
    12-08-2011 10:37 AM
    It says there is Clearwire everywhere around me still no connection. Does it take a significant amount of time with the 4g radio enabled before finds a signal.
    12-08-2011 12:24 PM
    It could just be not strong enough to work inside the house where you are, or you might be towards the edge of reception. If you can, try it somewhere closer to the center of one of the 'bubbles. It looks like there are three, so if you're in the area between, you might just not be getting a strong enough signal from any one tower. if you're in an area that should be relatively strong, try cycling the 4g radio off/on. If it doesn't detect a signal, it goes to sleep then tries again later.
    12-08-2011 01:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD