After falling for the gimicky 3D hype, I'm considering swaping that out for the SGSII.
    One thing I read was that on the SGSII I can't talk and use data/browse internet at the same time? I'm with Sprint in Los Angeles.

Just tried it on the 3D just to make sure and I was able to browse and talk and I was without a problem while on 4G.

This is the last concern I have before making the switch.

Can the pros shed some light please. Sorry I'm a noob.
    12-08-2011 02:42 PM
    CDMA networks like Sprint and Verizon are not capable of utilizing both data and voice while on 3G mode. If the phone is on 4G or on WiFi, you can use both voice and data. This applies to the Evo 3D and the Epic Touch.
    12-08-2011 03:47 PM
    I wish I could shed some light on the 4G surfing and talking but I don't have 4G here. I am however a former EVO 3D owner and can tell you without hesitation that I don't regret getting rid of the 3D in favor of the SGSII. I love my Epic Touch! I did however have a hard time deciding between it and the Motorola Photon because of living in an area with poor Sprint service. The Photon is hands down the winner in signal strength and call quality. I ended up staying with the Epic Touch mostly because of having a 2 year old son and I love the camera and screen on this phone. You won't regret leaving the EVO 3D for this phone.
    12-08-2011 03:49 PM
    mikephenix: thanks for the reply, that makes sense now.
    fivegear: in the same boat. 1 month old at home and I want to be able to take the best pix possible at a moments notice.

Hope I can get used to the Touchwiz UI. Looks like I can custimize it to bring in some things from Sense and appreciate and use some of the features of Touchwiz.
    12-08-2011 05:02 PM
    Touchwiz does get criticized a bit, but I do like it. The biggest benefit to Touchwiz is that it's GPU accelerated, so live wallpapers (if you use them) will not impact homescreen performance as it does other launchers. Samsung also optimized the stock browser, so it's smoother than most other stock android browsers (it uses a backing store similar to iPhone's browser).
    12-08-2011 05:57 PM
    I did the deed yesterday. Had an EVO 4G original with which I'd had a love/hate only because of the bootlooping issue But it was a good phone.

This one looks like a nifty winner! Had tons of fun playing with it last night and will be doing more to learn tricks as I go.

One knock on it was that the power button is in an awkward place, and I agree with that. If I grasp the phone to turn it off, I invariably hit the volume rocker on the opposite side. But that's something I can live with so will do so.

The rest has been delight so far, and I'll be eagerly reading about all the things I can do with it.

MM
    12-08-2011 06:00 PM
    Coming from the EVO 4G, then the EVO 3D, it's still taking some time to get used to the location of the home and menu buttons lol. However, rooting the E4GT was WAY easier than the EVO 3D. The screen is much better and the camera is awesome.
    12-09-2011 10:36 AM
    Best phone I've had hands down.
    I'd suggest getting at least some sort of protector for it. I ordered a TPU case.... this phone is so much thinner than the evo and 3d ... took thin if you ask me. Screen is of course beautiful.... camera... could I even ask for me? I set up the E4GT to HDMI on my TV.. started playing Onlive... put it in driving mode in the background... "Hi Galaxy " I mean the phone is Amazing. Hookup BT keyboard and mouse... plug in my USB 32 gb memory stick... I have to figure a way to output display via HDMI and plug in a memory stick so I can watch movies off the memory stick over my TV in 1080p. Its faster than any computer I have in my house. Now to only hook up my Wii controller and play Asphalt 6 on the big screen! Yeah definitely the best. No boggy sense either.
    Camera is stunning, just not as quick as iPhone 4S (but much better options + editing choices)
    12-09-2011 11:32 AM
    My wife and daughter both recently got their upgrades and chose the E4GT. The phone is so much better than my EVO3D in all the ways stated above that its not even funny. My only choice is whether I'm going to pick up a used Nexus S, so I can get ICS sooner, or whether I'll go for an E4GT and wait for ICS.
    12-10-2011 08:59 PM
    I did the deed yesterday. Had an EVO 4G original with which I'd had a love/hate only because of the bootlooping issue But it was a good phone.

This one looks like a nifty winner! Had tons of fun playing with it last night and will be doing more to learn tricks as I go.

One knock on it was that the power button is in an awkward place, and I agree with that. If I grasp the phone to turn it off, I invariably hit the volume rocker on the opposite side. But that's something I can live with so will do so.

The rest has been delight so far, and I'll be eagerly reading about all the things I can do with it.

MM
    I too upgraded from the Evo. Another annoyance I have is the placement of the home button and the settings button. The home button should be to the far left, then settings button. Minor annoyance. Love the phone so far.
    12-10-2011 10:45 PM
    I too upgraded from the Evo. Another annoyance I have is the placement of the home button and the settings button. The home button should be to the far left, then settings button. Minor annoyance. Love the phone so far.
    i also had the evo3d at one point but returned it as the battery was mediocre. just got the epic touch and it's a fantastic phone, the battery life is noticeably better. definitely agree the home/menu button placement is quite annoying.
    12-11-2011 02:50 AM
    I switched and I'm glad
    I did.
    12-16-2011 07:52 AM
    Went from original EVO 4G to EVO 3D and then Epic 4G Touch.
    Was extremely happy with EVO 4G but did not like EVO 3D at all. GPS issues and pool call quality.
    Now I am happy again with Epic 4G Touch. Everything I liked about my trusty EVO 4G and much, much more. I liked Sense but TouchWiz on Epic 4G Touch is actually really good and I seldom miss Sense.
    I agree that power button placement and Home/Menu button placement are still annoying even after 3 months of owning it.
    12-16-2011 06:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD