Iphone 4s or E4GT

maxima24

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Im getting a new phone soon and im not sure if i should get the iphone 4s or the epic 4g touch. I have the original epic and i wanted the iphone because i have an ipod touch and i thought it would be better to get an iphone since it has an ipod built into it. I like the customization of android, so its a hard choice, and also i like the music player on the iphone better than i like the android one.

lilotimz

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
If you're so adamant on getting an iphone 4s, why are you even asking us? Your entire post basically tells me (us) that you want / like an iphone.

But to answer your question. I've dealt with an Iphone 4s from sprint alongside my own epic 4g touch.
My E4GT has much more vibrant colors than the retina display (which is really good), has a bigger screen (screen size is almost as big as the entire iphone), and i can do whatever the hell i want to do with it.

If you don't like the stock music player, android market has plenty of alternatives. Same with MMS (handcent, gosms etc) and anything else you dislike.

Also the 3g speeds on sprint is... absymal and the Wimax 4g is bearable (100-300 kbps vs 2-4 mbps) which can affect your decision.

So yep. I'd take the E4GT.

ReggieTee

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I was faced with this choice this weekend. I've been due for an upgrade since August. I was going to go iPhone once it was announced Sprint would get it. I was disappointed with the minor upgrade to the 4S. Then I read how horribly the 4S performed on Sprint's network. This weekend, I decided that I'd just get the 4S and see if the data speed was as bad as I've read. Then as I was perusing Craigslist yesterday morning, I found a NIB E4GT. My wife told me to go ahead and get it as an early Christmas present. I met the guy at a Sprint store last nite and even though it was new, I still had them check the ESN. The E4GT kicks all kinds of ass. My Evo is now a distant memory. If I were you, I'd go E4GT. I'd stay away from the 4S. I paid a bit more off contract so my upgrade is intact and I get to see what happens with Sprint's LTE launch and maybe the next iPhone.

maxima24

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
If you're so adamant on getting an iphone 4s, why are you even asking us? Your entire post basically tells me (us) that you want / like an iphone.

But to answer your question. I've dealt with an Iphone 4s from sprint alongside my own epic 4g touch.
My E4GT has much more vibrant colors than the retina display (which is really good), has a bigger screen (screen size is almost as big as the entire iphone), and i can do whatever the hell i want to do with it.

If you don't like the stock music player, android market has plenty of alternatives. Same with MMS (handcent, gosms etc) and anything else you dislike.

Also the 3g speeds on sprint is... absymal and the Wimax 4g is bearable (100-300 kbps vs 2-4 mbps) which can affect your decision.

So yep. I'd take the E4GT.

Yea i like the bigger screen, i was a little hesitant with getting the iphone because of the 3g issues since im always browsing the web, hows the battery life?

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
speaking from experience, I just had to have an iphone (jesusphone) it just seemed like it was the phone to have lol, I bought one on Black Friday.........I could only deal with it until December 6 before returning it and exchanging it for the G II Epic. best move Ive ever made! if youre used to any sort of Android based phone the iphone will be a major let down, its so generic and locked down its pathetic

Reactions: hlbiii#AC

Drummerboy1975

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I'll never own another Apple product. They want to control what you do with your phone through iTunes. ;ever again.

Besides, the iPhone4 has envy. It's so tiny.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Whatever the iPhone had going for it in the earlier years is now a distant memory. Gone are the advantages of the great amount of apps and great games, they have all come to the Android Market as well. The tiny screen size is a plus for some users (girls mostly), so is the lack of customization (for the people that are less nerdy than us who are happy with what Apple gives them, or should I say, forces them down their throats), but for us a real smart phone users, the iphone is, as stated above, a let down. I guess the only thing it still has going for it is the better battery life, but again, we have options here on most phones. I don't even find the iPhone comfortable to hold in my hand without a case, it feels sharp and is heavy as a brick. Top it off with the fact that the iPhone 4S and it's older siblings can't even do 4G is the last nail in its coffin.

Having said all that, most people are uninformed and drank way too much of the Apple Koolaid. Android had it's shortcomins in the earlier years, and not all android devices are created equal. Herein lies the problem with certain people thinking the iPhone still is the latest and greates, some people tried Android in its earlier days or made a misinformed decision and bought the wrong Android phone, and these people assume that innovation is stagnant in the Android universe, just as it is in the Apple world where they add minor upgrades from generation to generation and people get all excited about the same crap they bought last year with a better camera, a novelty personal assistant the use of which just makes you look like a geek, or a fool if Siri doesn't understand you. They have no clue how Android devices have evolved and one generation is leaps and bounds over the next one. Compare the Evo 4G with the Epic Touch, it is a huge upgrade in every possible way. From the much improved performance to the much better display, from lightness and thinness that makes the Evo 4g feel like brick in comparison, the difference is huge! Ask your averge Apple user to differentiate between the iPhone 4 and the 4S, and they probably can't tell the difference. Add to that the growth of the selection and quality of the apps in the android market, and you know you're sitting on the right horse if it's got a little green robot stamped on it's butt.

The choice is clear for real smartphone users. The iPhone will live on in the pockets of the people that buy it because their friend told them, because the media buzz told them, and because the rest of the world just doesn't know any better.

Apple will have to pull a huge bunny out of the hat next year, because minor upgrades like what they have produced over the last 4 years, just won't cut it in this competitive landscape.

If the next generation won't have 4G and a significantly larger display, or at least a choice in size, even the media will start criticizing it.

We'll see, but for now, I couldn't be happier with my Epic Touch. The only thing missing is a quad core cpu, ICS, and a 720 Super Amoled plus display. :)

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I guess the only thing it still has going for it is the better battery life,
all great points! but not so much on the battery, I have to say my Epic's battery is right on par with the 4s I had, maybe even better. besides we can swap to an extra battery if we choose to, which I so happened to order the Samsung charger and battery system earlier.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
all great points! but not so much on the battery, I have to say my Epic's battery is right on par with the 4s I had, maybe even better. besides we can swap to an extra battery if we choose to, which I so happened to order the Samsung charger and battery system earlier.

Yeah, not sure how much better the iPhone 4S battery life is if you turn location services off. I heard it helps, just not how much. It's interesting how it doesn't seem to affect every phone, also, unusual for Apple to have such a hard time figuring it out.

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Not to mention, if something breaks on your iphone you have to go to the Apple store! Sprint does not support issues with the phone what so ever! Were as you can walk into any service center with any other phone and receive help through your manuf. warranty or the insurance through sprint! Oh and apple care is not cheap!

Good luck!

sledgie#AC

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Don't even think twice about this. Go get that E4GT now!! (Or buy mine once I put it on the Marketplace)
No seriously, i have both. The iPhone 4S (i have 32gb one) is nice....if you have small hands and love to zoom in all the time and make whales and monkeys/owls while typing txt messages (if you don't know what this is it's ok).
E4GT fast fast fast. Siri will speak to you. So will E4GT (Hi Galaxy)
the Screen and processor are so amazing it's basically replaced every computer in this house. Buy a good HDMI cord and MHL adapter - you'll get instant mirroring on your 1080i/p tv. Buy BT mouse and BT keyboard (use apple bt keyboard if you must) and you'[ve just turned your phone into an freaking amazing on screen computer. Hook up the BT phone adapter and you can make calls while typing on screen. Seriously. Look at some of the Youtube videos featuring this phone. Oh yeah, buy a USB jig and plug in any memory card to your phone!! seriously!! or a wired mouse.
Can iphoney do that?

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
my suggestion is, if you really feel you wanna try the iphone out, you have 14 days to decide but you will have to pay that $35 restocking fee, but I can pretty much guarantee you feel so locked down with the iphone that you will return it

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Here are 25 Reasons to Consider the Sprint Epic 4G Touch.

Have you ever wished your phone could go slower? More likely you wished it could go faster? You will pay just as much for slow iPhone 3G service as full Android 4G service.

Click for details on dozens of features missing from the iPhone 4S including:
1. 4G
2. Any size other than Extra Small
3. Notification LED
4. microSD
5. Removable Battery
6. HD Video Chat (still VGA, WiFi)
7. LED Display
8. DLNA
9. Facebook Sync
10. Flash
11. NFC
12. Haptic feedback (vibrate on key-touch)
13. Full Gmail (Priority Inbox, etc.)
14. DRM-Free Music like Google & Amazon
15. Toggles
16. Widgets
17. Amazon Appstore free paid app of the day
18. Other app stores like GetJar with dozens of free paid apps
19. Goggles, Voice, etc. and Notification bar apps like the Weather Channel
20. Full Notification control: how often to repeat, vibrate, LED, etc.
21. 15-Minute free trial on apps
22. Theming
23. Visual Voicemail with Contact Photos
24. True hands-free Voice Coomands
25. Turn-by-turn navigation
26. Live Wallpaper
27. Swype
28. Real predictive keyboards like SwiftKey
29. Bluetooth Mouse/keyboard
30. See the actual files from your phone to delete, rename, move just like on a PC

The 3.5" iPhone was a great phone in 2007 but a lot has changed since then.

D.P.G.

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I can tell you this if you want an iPhone get it first because once you get use to the screen size, speed, display quality among many other things with the Samsung then pick the iPhone back up you almost laugh and feel quite good that you have your Samsung. This comes from experience.

JackG058

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I own the 3rd Generation iPod Touch, 64GB, as well as the Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch. The only thing I don't like about my Sammy is the long name. :) Seriously, to me there is no comparison. I rarely use my iPod now, and certainly don't use any of the apps. I do still occasionally use it on a Sunday afternoon to listen to music while I nap. My GS2 Epic 4G Touch gets used constantly. Games, video, music, calendar, Gmail, phone, texting, Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Netflix, etc. etc. Battery life is the best I've had on Android, and it exceeds what I get on my iPod. Screen is gorgeous. I'm running a Christmas HD Live Wallpaper. Others who view it do so with oohs and ahs. It is just so gorgeous. And the Exynos processor is fast. I rarely experience lag. And for those who think Apple products don't lag, I can tell you my OG iPad has lag from time to time.

One final thought of disclosure. I used to be a huge Apple fan. I have the iPod Touch, the iPad, and a Macbook Pro. Love all of those devices, but Android is so much more refreshing for me. Plus, Apple's policy to start suing everyone under the sun has turned me off to them. I'm giving my wife my iPad as I have an Asus Transformer Prime on preorder, and my Macbook is being set aside for my Samsung laptop. I also hate iTunes. In syncing, it has totally screwed up my album covers for my music videos. Well, I rant now but have done so in order to show you clearly where my opinion stands. Best wishes to you on your decision. You need to get what you like and what works for you!

chosenhobo

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, the data on the iPhone 4S is horrible. My dad and brother got the 4S, i got the ET4G. My dad keeps wishing he got the ET4G as well now, and so does one of my cousins, who also got a 4S. Basically, it comes down to your preference of OS, and even then, having a 4S on Sprint will honestly give you a diminished experience. Data is horrible, thus Siri is almost useless; you pretty much jailbreak it just to get many basic customizable options of the Android.