01-21-2012 08:15 AM
28 12
tools
    I bought a battery that doesn't appear to have a brand name for $10.99. Any thoughts? it was on ebay from a "trusted seller". I am not sure what to expect. Am i gonna get ripped off? Or am i just buying a very low quality battery? i would have ponied up for a name brand, except i cannot afford it so close to christmas, but really need the extra juice during the day when i am at work. thanks for your thoughts. I just ordered today so i will post when/if I get the battery and let you know how well it works.
    12-12-2011 08:54 PM
    You would also need a new back.
    12-12-2011 09:25 PM
    Hopefully the battery doesn't explode and destroy your phone.
    12-12-2011 09:31 PM
    back is included, but i havnt used it, still using the seidio batttery
    12-12-2011 10:05 PM
    Hopefully the battery doesn't explode and destroy your phone.
    I have never seen ebay batteries explode. Do you have any proof of this happening?
    12-13-2011 03:27 AM
    If a battery wants to blow it will. Regardless of manufacturer.
    case in point, i was working on a batch of iPhone 4 for a customer and about 75 units into the repair job i was removing a battery and it bent slightly and caught fire. Im glad i work on concrete floors.
    It was an OEM battery. Out of 200 of them i have worked on i found 3 that were so bloated they popped off the battery doors. I have run across this with Blackberry OEM batteries as well.
    I think the aftermarkets are more likely to have capacity issues. I will admit i am not a huge fan of aftermarket, but if i get one cheap enough i will surely use one.
    I had one for my EVO 4G, EPIC 4G, EVO 3D and soon to buy one for my Epic Touch.
    12-13-2011 09:21 AM
    I been using these batteries for a week now. So far so good. Bought the double pack with 2 batts, 2 backs and some weird charger for 22$

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    12-13-2011 10:38 PM
    I got one also that I paid 10 bucks for. It works great. .I get bout 18hours on normal usage..no over heating issues, no crazy discharge issues. .and the back door is great its not bulky at all considering the battery is 3800
    12-14-2011 02:28 AM
    Shipped from Hong Kong
    12-14-2011 02:29 AM
    Glad to hear it. I cant wait to get all 3800 of those mah hooked up to this beast. Hope i get a battery from a good batch
    12-15-2011 09:44 AM
    When i checked my mailbox today..... My battery was waiting in there for me. It was packaged very well in a bubble wrapped manilla envelope. I got the 3500 mah battery and the extended back for the phone.it is very glossy and i am gonna have to do something that. It does fit very good, snaps in good and feels solid. Gonna leave it plugged in for a few hours after it is 100% charged. I will get back with you after it discharges completely. Oh and now there is another battery icon in the notification bar that says 100%. Sweet!
    12-20-2011 06:45 PM
    Knotsure - thanks for keeping us up to date on this venture.
    12-21-2011 05:51 AM
    So far so good. Just got to work and the battery appears to be working fine. I charged up the factory battery and noticed when it was fully charged it had the second battery icon in the notification bar. I never noticed that before so i thought it was due to the new battery, whoops. I listen to local sports talk and use the espn radio app, so i burn through my battery in 4 hours or so. We will se how long 3500 mah lasts. Have a good day.
    12-21-2011 06:50 AM
    I bought 3 regular (1800mah) batteries plus a charger for $11 shipped. The problem with the extended batteries is no cases will fit. I would not use this phone without a case.

Carrying an extra battery is no big deal as they are quite small and light and with 3 I can leave one at work, in the car and carry one if I think I need it.
    12-21-2011 09:08 AM
    That makes me a little nervous as well. I carry my phone in a canvas pouch hanging on my tool belt so it is safe when in here. I have been listening to the espn radio app since about 7:30 (central time) and i have about 60% battery left. Yesterday, with the stock battery, i was at 28% at this time with the same usage. I am very impressed so far and will be buying a decent silicone case and gonna cut a hole in the back of it for the larger battery door. Sweeeeeeet. Uninterrupted streamage!!!!!!!
    12-21-2011 10:37 AM
    So the battery is almost totally discharged(5%). i streamed espn eadio on 3g for 7 1/2 hours and had a 45 minutes phone call with my pops. I connected 4g and used the internet here and there today as well as using a flashlight app for a total of about 15 minutes.after i got off work i used google maps and made some more phone calls. I leave gps on all day and turn everything else off. i am very happy to be able to listen to my sports talk ALL day without turning it off or changing batteries . Overall i am very happy with day 1. Great buy at 10.99.
    12-21-2011 04:40 PM
    Knotsure, thanks for keeping us updated with your purchase. I am thinking about getting an Epic Touch from Amazon tomorrow for 79.99 and want the 3800mah battery too. I was thinking about getting one of those cheap TPU cases off ebay. Do you think they can stretch over the battery casing, or should I cut a hole? Thanks!
    12-22-2011 08:00 PM
    TPU's dont really stretch. The silicone case might but look to cutting the back off.
    12-22-2011 08:59 PM
    Knotsure, thanks for keeping us updated with your purchase. I am thinking about getting an Epic Touch from Amazon tomorrow for 79.99 and want the 3800mah battery too. I was thinking about getting one of those cheap TPU cases off ebay. Do you think they can stretch over the battery casing, or should I cut a hole? Thanks!
    Yeah, stretching will be a no-go for a battery cover that size. The TPU cases aren't as flexible as you'd think. They twist left-to-right, but stretching out back won't happen. I'd love to rock my E4GT without a case, but I worry that the camera lens will scratch. I wish we had a multimedia dock that could be used with a TPU case in landscape mode. Wishes, I suppose....
    12-23-2011 12:58 AM
    He's right, those silicone cases dont stretch any, there just really flexible. I am still using my phone without a case. I am in construction and when at work i leave my phone in a canvas case that hangs off of my tool belt or my pocket. Either way the phone is nice and safe in there and i am worry free. i am going all day (17-18) hours with heavy usage, 5 hrs of espn radio, all kinds of internet on 4g, phone calls, netflix. Love this massive battery. need to hurry up and get a silicone to try the cut the hole in the back idea. will get back with you then. Merry Christmas everyone !!!
    12-23-2011 09:10 AM
    It works well. This is under normal usage for me. Screen at max bright the whole time.
    01-16-2012 11:33 PM
    Hmmm interesting. Do you have a screen shot of the two battery icons? That interests me, and I have been considering an extended battery for awhile. I'm not too sure about the purchase, but by reading all of this, it seems worth it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    01-18-2012 09:46 PM
    It was a mistake. When charging the extended battery the first time i saw two batt icons. Upon further inspection the phone shows two icons when using oem batt and it is plugged in fully charged. Just to let you know it is 100%. Sorry bout that. If you can get past the extra bulk( which is a nice addon considering the phone is so thin) than it is well worth having this massive battery. I never have to worry about running out of juice and i love it.
    01-19-2012 11:14 AM
    I am def interested in getting one of these. Unfortunately, there are like 80 different listings on ebay for a 3800 extended battery. Idk if its against the rules or whatever, but can you send the sellers name or something like that? I'd only be interested in getting one if I can get similar results as what you did...
    Thanks!
    01-19-2012 01:47 PM
    I just wanted to let ya'll know I bought the Trexcell 3800mah batt about 2 weeks ago. It comes with the back cover, but they ALSO just custom-made a black TPU case for it. I ordered it on Tuesday and should be here next week. But in the meantime, I've been using my standard TPU case and I just cut out a section in the back.

For people like me, who use their phones only sporadically throughout the day, texts here and there, don't use GPS, 4G, or Bluetooth rarely, and have brightness set to Automatic, this batt is a godsend. It's awesome only having to charge every 3-4 days. I have wifi on when I'm home, and turn it off when I go to work. I'm still conditioning the battery, so it will get better and better with time. In case you're wondering, the extended cover only adds about 3.5mm to the outside of the phone. Even with the battery, it's still thinner than my Samsung Intercept I was using before.

This is just info from my experience....take it or leave it. If you just have snide remarks, keep'em to yourself. I agree, the case looks unattractive now with my cutting, but the custom TPU case from Trexcell will be nice once I get it. I'm sure there are users out there like me though, who love Android and the mfr's for allowing batt changes and aren't power users. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
    01-19-2012 03:10 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD