Did you notice non-visual improvements after the latest update?

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, can someone who has already received their update share if their Android OS percentage under battery usage has changed? I read that it is supposed to be "fixed" in Android 2.3.5, and if we are getting upgraded to 2.3.6, I would like to know if its battery usage has gone down. Also, did anyone notice any better signal, improved 4G connection and internet speeds? Still no update for my device yet, and I am itching to know if battery life and connection strengths have improved. Please share your experience and any noticed non-visual changes after the update.

elyeh

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: Did you notice non-visual improvements after the latest updat

Noticed my signal strenght in my office is almost full bars compared to the single bar i had before.

GPS finds my postion now when down in the parking garage. Before it had me located a block away.

Knoidea513

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

My 3g speed went from .28 mbps to 1.02.. And my 4g went from 4.2 mbps up to 12.3 mbps

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I see no change in the android usage. One problem I was having was that the worse suggestions in the keyboard would cover what I was typing. Now when I click on a text box it scrolls up so that I can see everything.

fivegear

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

Oh and the notification bar doesn't fight me when I try to swype it up anymore.

I know it is silly but I got really frustrated with that before and am very glad they addressed that issue!

uncleanbeast

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

This update along with the flash update fixed streaming video problems on some sites. Cough* xhamster* cough. Which lagged like crazy before. :)

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for reporting back that the update worked. Im leary of them because of what happened with the Epic 4G

sparkeater79

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

How do i get this upgrade you speak of. tried to get it manually. it says i m up to date bt i still have android 2.3.4

Nozzles Brewin

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

Knotsure: it's randomly pushed, you'll know when you have it

It didn't fix the os bug, mine was running at 60% an hr after the update and it was close to idle

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site

I also noticed the lack of "fighting" when trying to swipe the notification bar up. Realized this was a nice little change that I didn't recognize at first. Overall, I seem to have slightly better service (was pretty good to begin with), and the phone still seems snappy. I'll be running a full speed test in different locations and will report back if I see anything different.

treotimAC

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

Updated yesterday and haven't seen much of an impact on signal strength, cellular or wifi. I didn't have the LOS issue but signal strength, especially wifi and sprint data download speeds, has never been that great.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I'm getting an extra confirmation message when trying to delete an open email using the stock email client. Before the update I could open an email and quickly hit the trashcan icon at the top of the client to immediately delete an email and open the next email. Now, after I click the trashcan icon, I get a message asking me to confirm the deletion. I can't find any setting to change this behavior. Not really a fan of the extra click.

spudly12

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

Updated yesterday and haven't seen much of an impact on signal strength, cellular or wifi. I didn't have the LOS issue but signal strength, especially wifi and sprint data download speeds, has never been that great.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I'm getting an extra confirmation message when trying to delete an open email using the stock email client. Before the update I could open an email and quickly hit the trashcan icon at the top of the client to immediately delete an email and open the next email. Now, after I click the trashcan icon, I get a message asking me to confirm the deletion. I can't find any setting to change this behavior. Not really a fan of the extra click.

I noticed this too. The other annoying thing I noticed is that on the keyboard, instead of holding the "Q" key down for a smiley, I need to hit the home key to get an 'insert smiley' option. Too many extra steps to do the things I want to do quckl;y. :-\

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

So I got the update finally this morning. All went well, except I am noticing decreased speeds after the update :(... Immediately before update I was pulling at rate of 1300-1500kbps on 3G, and immediately after update it went to 600-700kbps. On 4G, speeds went from 9Mbps range to 7Mbps range. These tests were done immediately before and after the update. Signal at my home also went from 4 bars to 3 bars. However GPS probably seems to have improved by a very tiny bit. Any suggestions for me to try??

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

I noticed this too. The other annoying thing I noticed is that on the keyboard, instead of holding the "Q" key down for a smiley, I need to hit the home key to get an 'insert smiley' option. Too many extra steps to do the things I want to do quckl;y. :-\

I just noticed smiley option is gone from Q or W, cant remember which key had it originally. Cant find it at all now. Which home key are you talking about?

spudly12

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

I just noticed smiley option is gone from Q or W, cant remember which key had it originally. Cant find it at all now. Which home key are you talking about?

_
The permanent |=| key on the far left / bottom row of the phone. Press this while the keyboard is up and you get an 'insert smiley' option.

I would not classify this as an improvement!

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
If you are using Skype, they moved the language key to be the upper key on the Q.

Also, a whole bunch of apps broke on me.

I personally wish I could go back to the firmware I had before.

Rob

Rob sent this from his SPH-D710 via Tapatalk

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

So I got the update finally this morning. All went well, except I am noticing decreased speeds after the update :(... Immediately before update I was pulling at rate of 1300-1500kbps on 3G, and immediately after update it went to 600-700kbps. On 4G, speeds went from 9Mbps range to 7Mbps range. These tests were done immediately before and after the update. Signal at my home also went from 4 bars to 3 bars. However GPS probably seems to have improved by a very tiny bit. Any suggestions for me to try??

Update Profile and PRL. Shut off phone. Pull batt for 1 minute and replace. Turn on phone. That should help.:p