I was on the phone w a sprint rep yesterday complaining about two towers being down where I work and she told me that it was because sprint was rebuilding all of its towers for the new lte. I explained to her how I thought that was great but I was concerned with the 3g signal because my galaxy s2 epic 4g wasn't going to be able to take advntage of it since it was on the old winmax system and the radio wouldn't pick up lte and she was quick to correct me and told me al of the old 4g devices wouls now run on the new lte network. Anyone know how true this is ?or was she just talking crap to keep me from cancelling my two lines?
    12-13-2011 06:20 AM
    I have read where "some" wimax devices can be upgraded on the software side to support LTE. I don't think that is going to be the case though with most devices and she is probably just talking crap / doesn't know any better.
    12-13-2011 09:06 AM
    WiMAX radios are NOT upgradeable to LTE via software. Totally different system requiring totally different hardware.

However, the new Clearwire deal has Sprint committed to running WiMAX until at least 2015 while the LTE network is being built, so it is not out of the question that they (actually Clearwire since it's their network) will still see some WiMAX expansion.
    12-13-2011 10:37 AM
    Yeah, the rep is wrong ... current devices will not work with LTE. But Wimax will be around for quite some time, and latest reports are that it's probably going to take longer than expected for LTE to get going. I think it's really only an issue for those who have to have the latest greatest tech. No regrets from me on the E4GT ... although if someone's looking for a new phone later this year it might be a consideration.
    12-13-2011 11:16 AM
    If you wait long enough you might get a free phone out of it. I was a subscriber on Sprint Spectrum, their first stab at digital cellular back in 1996.

Only DC, Baltimore, and New York - it was PCS1900 and completely incompatible with the nationwide CDMA plant they rolled out a year or two later.

Got a free phone to get off that network...
    12-13-2011 11:27 AM