This just in ...

An updated ROM just leaked this morning, dubbed "EL13". XDA forum member and developer Calkulin who wrote a popular ROM for our phone ran the Voodoo CIQ detection app on it and confirmed that this updated ROM is free of any traces of Carrier IQ software.

If this comes to pass, it will mean at least some combination of Samsung and Sprint (who knows who is pushing this, but my money is on Sprint since they told Sammy to install it in the first place) is moving fast to get out of the way of CIQ negative PR freight train. Choooo choooooo! That train has gathered a lot of momentum and I personally can't blame them for not wanting to be further clobbered by it.

Here's the source thread: [ROM][EL13][Stock 2.3.6][Modified: 2011-12-13] - xda-developers
    12-13-2011 09:23 AM
    one word. Awesome.
    12-13-2011 11:36 AM
    That would be a great move by Sprint. If they do it, the other are sure to follow, if the others don't then that puts a Halo on top of Sprints head, I mean, Dan Hesses head ;-)
    12-13-2011 03:40 PM
    Thats good news. lets keep our fingers crossed. Im still waiting for the latest update to hit my phone.
    12-13-2011 05:07 PM
    Thats good news. lets keep our fingers crossed. Im still waiting for the latest update to hit my phone.
    LOL I know. Some people don't even have EK02 yet and another build leaks. This build was literally created today though (E=2011, L=December, 13=today!).
    IAmSixNine likes this.
    12-13-2011 05:31 PM
    JayWill72 Thanks for sharing how EK02 is broken down. Well at least how Samsung breaks down the builds. reminds me of Motorola Date codes on their batteries.
    12-13-2011 05:49 PM
    JayWill72 Thanks for sharing how EK02 is broken down. Well at least how Samsung breaks down the builds. reminds me of Motorola Date codes on their batteries.
    Haha I just learned it recently myself, from someone who knows a lot more about this stuff than I do. *waves at sfhub*
    12-13-2011 06:06 PM
    Thanks for the heads up... Installed!

Attachment 18932
    12-14-2011 02:08 PM
    Well well well ... http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint...ics-carrier-iq

Sprint isn't owning up to it yet, but the fact that a Carrier IQ free firmware leak hits for our phone followed by this news cannot be coincidence. I think the switch flip is the first step to placate phone owners and more importantly, lawyers and law makers. I predict the next step will be an announcement of firmware updates removing the software entirely as I speculated about above and as was rumored in the Geek.com article.

Hopefully the carriers will go back to square one and do this right next time. Do a proper job of disclosing the software at the point of sale, and give the owner a chance to opt-out at activation. Yes it means the carriers may have to spend money on software licenses and services that don't get used, but some diagnostic data is better than none right?
    12-16-2011 06:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD