Hello all. I just purchased my Epic 4G this week and, generally speaking, I am pleased with the phone though getting to undertsand it fully is overwhelming. That said, I have a couple of very strange issues that I can't seem to find any answers to. These two issues combined are making me want to take this phone back to Sprint and get an iPhone.

# 1 - When I send a text message, as soon as I hit 'Send' and the message is gone, my phone IMMEDIATELY opens a solid black page with the logo or name "Life is Crime" at the top and an "X" at the lower left-hand corner to close the screen. It looks as though I am trying to be tricked or forced into downloading this game or app. What in the ^&#^% is this? Malware? Adware? Do I have to buy something stupid that I don't want everytime I send a text? How do I remove this or stop it from happening? I have NOT downloaded this game at all.

# 2 - When I choose to ignore an incoming call for whatever reason, as soon as I hit the red "Decline" button a random video advertisement opens up on the phone for about 10 seconds. Again, what in the *^&^^W&%^&% is this??? Does this mean I have to be bombarded with video advertisements every single time I refuse to answer my phone? Can I not just use my phone like a phone?

There are many people on this forum smarter than myself and I would greatly appreciate any feedback or suggestions with regards to these two uber-irritating problems. Thank you in advance for you assistance and time.

Kelly
    12-14-2011 01:58 PM
    Totally bizarre. I've never heard of this happening sine the phone's release, and yes it sounds like malware to me. Sounds like you downloaded a bad app.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    12-14-2011 02:11 PM
    I agree, I'd do a full factory reset ASAP. Who knows what else the malware is doing in the background.
    12-14-2011 02:45 PM
    Thanks for the responses. I have really only downloaded 'standard' apps and nothing weird (GasBuddy, NetFlix, and the like). I hate to reent the entire phone and lose all of my contacts data and everything else. That means I'll probably spend an entire day of my life that I'll never get back messing with a stupid phone instead of working or doing anything productive. Do you have any possible suggestions or tips or tricks I might try to help narrow down IF I have malware (didn't know it even existed for phones)?

It's little technology issues and time-vampires like this that kind of make me wish for a simpler time - like the stone age.
    12-15-2011 11:44 AM
    Contacts should be backed up on google. Before wiping, go to gmail and on the left click where it says "Mail" with the down arrow, and you should be able to change it to "contacts." Make sure they're all there (should be).

Also there are some antivirus prorams that you might run before wiping, just to see if they catch anything. If they do, I think they'll tell you the app that installed them, then just avoid that app next time
    12-15-2011 02:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD