OTA Update seems to have failed

Lancair

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
On Monday I was in Virginia and got a message that the update was ready to install. I selected "Install now" but apparently because my phone is rooted I got an almost immediate error message and the installation aborted. Today in Colorado I got the message about the update being available so I selected "Update Later". I then un-rooted the phone and ran the update. For about 15 minutes the screen was frozen with an Android logo and that triangle. I had pretty mush given up and was about to remove the battery when I got some lines of code coming across and it rebooted. When I checked the "about phone" page I still have the original Gingerbread 2.3.4 and the EG30 kernel. Does anyone know if this means the update failed? I thought for sure I'd see a different kernal number

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Post a screenshot of your About phone screen where it shows your Baseband and Kernel version please. Your system is likely not completely stock EG30.

Lancair

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Not sure how do do that so I will manually copy the screen info for you.

Model Number
SPH-D710

Android Version

Baseband Version
S:D710.10 S.EG30

Kernel Version
2.6.35.7-SPH-D710.EG30-CL435734

BuildNumber
Gingerbread. EG30

Harware version
D710.10

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Okay thanks. Next question then, do you still have Clockwork Mod Recovery on your phone? Or do you have the stock recovery? In other words, when you boot your phone holding down Vol-Up and Power at the same time, what recovery comes up? My last guess here is you still have CWM as your recovery, and this will cause the update install to fail.

Assuming you still have CWM, your best bet is to return to full stock by doing this [ODIN][STOCK][TAR] SPH-D710.EG30_CL435734 (EG30 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Factory Restore) - xda-developers

Keep in mind however that this will wipe all of your system data.

Reactions: Lancair

Lancair

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I am aware that rooting is the cause of my failed update. There are work arounds. And to me it is worth it to have all the advantages of a rooted phone.

Lancair

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks very much. That is what I was looking for. I'll have some time tonight to play with it and get everything back to normal with the update before I root again.

Thanks again

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta