On Monday I was in Virginia and got a message that the update was ready to install. I selected "Install now" but apparently because my phone is rooted I got an almost immediate error message and the installation aborted. Today in Colorado I got the message about the update being available so I selected "Update Later". I then un-rooted the phone and ran the update. For about 15 minutes the screen was frozen with an Android logo and that triangle. I had pretty mush given up and was about to remove the battery when I got some lines of code coming across and it rebooted. When I checked the "about phone" page I still have the original Gingerbread 2.3.4 and the EG30 kernel. Does anyone know if this means the update failed? I thought for sure I'd see a different kernal number
    12-15-2011 02:53 PM
    Post a screenshot of your About phone screen where it shows your Baseband and Kernel version please. Your system is likely not completely stock EG30.
    12-15-2011 02:57 PM
    Flash stock, update profile and PRL, reboot a few times and eventually they'll push it to you.
    12-15-2011 03:16 PM
    Not sure how do do that so I will manually copy the screen info for you.

Model Number
    SPH-D710

Android Version

Baseband Version
    S710.10 S.EG30

Kernel Version
    2.6.35.7-SPH-D710.EG30-CL435734

BuildNumber
    Gingerbread. EG30

Harware version
    D710.10
    12-15-2011 03:35 PM
    Okay thanks. Next question then, do you still have Clockwork Mod Recovery on your phone? Or do you have the stock recovery? In other words, when you boot your phone holding down Vol-Up and Power at the same time, what recovery comes up? My last guess here is you still have CWM as your recovery, and this will cause the update install to fail.

Assuming you still have CWM, your best bet is to return to full stock by doing this [ODIN][STOCK][TAR] SPH-D710.EG30_CL435734 (EG30 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Factory Restore) - xda-developers

Keep in mind however that this will wipe all of your system data.
    Lancair likes this.
    12-15-2011 04:24 PM
    Why would you say the OTA failed? You would not have this problem if you did not root.
    12-15-2011 04:43 PM
    Yes, I am aware that rooting is the cause of my failed update. There are work arounds. And to me it is worth it to have all the advantages of a rooted phone.
    12-15-2011 04:57 PM
    Thanks very much. That is what I was looking for. I'll have some time tonight to play with it and get everything back to normal with the update before I root again.

Thanks again
    12-15-2011 05:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD