Epic 4G can't get a GPS lock

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Okay, thanks, I'll give that "use sensor aiding" thing a try. Anybody know exactly what that does? What are we losing by turning it off?

It uses the non-gps sensors to figure out where you are. For example, if you enter a tunnel and GPS is lost, it will try to use the compass and gyroscope to figure out where you are by taking the last GPS location and extraopolating using sensor data. If you have an accurate GPS signal, I don't believe it does anything.

handsomeprince#AC

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
WHAT...THE...HELL!!! The GPS locking on this thing sucks...I keep getting a looping and circling "Waiting for location" message while in the notification bar just see that crosshair symbol looking icon for GPS with a constant blinking dot...but NO LOCK on gps. What gives?? This is so frustrating...is it related to the recent update??

luigidk

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I do think it is an issue with the E4GT in general. I sent my original one back - thinking it was faulty due to lack of GPS lock. However my replacement phone behaves pretty much the same way. I am on EL13 but not sure I see an improvement.

I will run GPS Fix from time to time...

However - after reading these forums - what seems to help the best is a reboot from time to time...

Also - have noticed it does better if I use my wifi to help.

Hopefully some firmware update will help correct this at some point.

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I do think it is an issue with the E4GT in general. I sent my original one back - thinking it was faulty due to lack of GPS lock. However my replacement phone behaves pretty much the same way. I am on EL13 but not sure I see an improvement.

However - after reading these forums - what seems to help the best is a reboot from time to time...

I have a topic on here...I was in Europe for 12 days and couldn't get a GPS lock once. Without Wifi or carrier service, you are really screwed.

handsomeprince#AC

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

I think its safe to say that the GPS locking issue is for real across the board with the majority of these units. For those that say they havent experienced such issues with their device; I'm envious. Another thing ive noticed is that if an 'update PRL' is done...it greatly helps in getting a lock.

I have a topic on here...I was in Europe for 12 days and couldn't get a GPS lock once. Without Wifi or carrier service, you are really screwed.
I remember reading you saying that; that sucks. Without GPS working; seeing as how so many of us are dependent on it...it can be an unnerving thing.

wildacex187

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
do you guys leave your gps antennas on all the time? does that kill the battery faster?

p.s. i also have a hard time getting a lock. usually takes about 20 secs or more while im already driving in the car. will sticking my hand out the window help? lol

Dixie

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
do you guys leave your gps antennas on all the time? does that kill the battery faster?

p.s. i also have a hard time getting a lock. usually takes about 20 secs or more while im already driving in the car. will sticking my hand out the window help? lol

Be sure to hang on tight if you do. Otherwise you might get an surprise gorilla glass test, LOL!