Hi Everybody!

I just recently picked up my Epic Touch and really like the phone, but have been annoyed by one thing:

The phone doesn't have an option to delay the phone's lock when I turn off the screen. This means that I have to re-input the password all the time and is disruptive to my workflow. I know that there is a timeout option if I just leave it alone, but I hate putting it in my pocket with the screen on.

Also, I've looked up options in the market, on Google and in this forum, but none I've found work with my company's enterprise security. I would really like to keep this phone and realize this is a shortcoming of Touchwiz, but is there any way to keep security, but have a delay on the lock coming on? I'm open to rooting the Epic Touch, but haven't yet. I would also be ok with trying out a different rom if need be.

Thanks a bunch in advance!
    Naa

TL;DR: Is there a way to have a delay to the manual lock screen with a enterprise mandated security lock via an app or rom?

UPDATED: Solved if you are ok with flashing a rom:

I recently flashed Calkulin's Rom for the E4GT. He's included a modification to the exchange security that allows for a removal of the need for a password. This means I can now use J4velin's "Delayed Lock" application.

So far it works well and allows me to keep the 6 digit Pin with exchange security AND have a delay for the lock screen.

Try it out if you are ok with rooting and flashing his rom which you can find at the link below:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1332837

nb
    12-19-2011 10:53 AM
    NOPE I use an exchange account from work and my EVO 3D had a lock delay, and Exchange will allow up to a 5 minute max window between screen off and lock. I had 1, 2 or 5 minute window options with the 3D.
    BUT on my Epic Touch that option doesnt work. Every time the display goes dark, BAM it locks.
    12-19-2011 01:13 PM
    NOPE I use an exchange account from work and my EVO 3D had a lock delay, and Exchange will allow up to a 5 minute max window between screen off and lock. I had 1, 2 or 5 minute window options with the 3D.
    BUT on my Epic Touch that option doesnt work. Every time the display goes dark, BAM it locks.
    Yeah, I think Touchwiz is the problem here. One thing that may help: you can set a delay for the time out (meaning you just wait for the screen to turn off) in Settings/Location and Security/Timeout. That doesn't really help me since I like to turn the screen off, but maybe it'll help a bit for you.

Do you happen to know of any roms that may have this enabled?

and thanks for the reply!
    Naa
    12-19-2011 01:17 PM
    I have not rooted yet. I am happy with stock so i am sticking with it for now.

I turn off my screen when not using it. I dont like to put it down with the screen on. So setting the screen time out to a longer period wont help me.
    12-19-2011 01:39 PM
    The bigger problem is that the phone only allows a strong password when encryption is required with an EAS account. It won't allow a pin which is all my company requires. iPhones and other Androids work fine but Galaxy S II devices all have the issue.
    12-19-2011 02:30 PM
    The bigger problem is that the phone only allows a strong password when encryption is required with an EAS account. It won't allow a pin which is all my company requires. iPhones and other Androids work fine but Galaxy S II devices all have the issue.
    Are you sure? I have a PIN enabled, although it's a 6 digit as opposed to 4 digit. Look into Settings/Location and security/Change Screen Lock. It should ask you for your current password and then give you an option to use a pattern (which won't work with enterprise) or a PIN or password.

Hope that works for you. I'd hate to have to use a full password every time as well.

Naa
    12-19-2011 03:11 PM
    Are you sure? I have a PIN enabled, although it's a 6 digit as opposed to 4 digit. Look into Settings/Location and security/Change Screen Lock. It should ask you for your current password and then give you an option to use a pattern (which won't work with enterprise) or a PIN or password.

Hope that works for you. I'd hate to have to use a full password every time as well.

Naa
    The IT guys and I have tried every option on the Exchange server and we haven't been able to get it to work. I think part of the problem depends what version the Exchange server is on. Here is a google support thread with others who have the same problem.
    Screen Lock: Only the "password" option is availble on the new Android 2.3.4! - Google Mobile Help
    12-19-2011 03:50 PM
    The IT guys and I have tried every option on the Exchange server and we haven't been able to get it to work. I think part of the problem depends what version the Exchange server is on. Here is a google support thread with others who have the same problem.
    Screen Lock: Only the "password" option is availble on the new Android 2.3.4! - Google Mobile Help
    Are you still on 2.3.4? Have you accepted the update to 2.3.6? maybe that's the difference. my Epic touch came 2.3.6, so I don't know what changes may have been made.

Naa
    12-19-2011 07:53 PM
    Here's another way to skin the cat. Download Screebl from the market. It will keep the screen on or shut it off based the angle at which the phone is held. When it is placed flat on the table, it will begin to time out based on the menu setting, which you can easily set at 15 seconds. The screen will not lock itself if it automatically shuts itself off after those 15 seconds.

This is the best compromise method I've found to deal with the Exchange lock on manual screen off issue. Good luck.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Biggnaa20 likes this.
    12-19-2011 09:32 PM
    @drk65 thanks, I'll try to see if that'll work with my usage pattern.
    12-19-2011 10:31 PM
    Hi All,

Just to give an update, I solved the dilemma I posted, but it's a bit of a kludge and will become expensive.

If you use Touchdown for your enterprise exchange mail and use a screen delay app (I'm using Delayed Lock Trial). you can have the delay that should have come baked in.

The downside: Delayed Lock cost about $1.50 in the market and the full version of Touchdown is $20.00(!) in the market. It's a hefty price to pay, but it is doable apparently.

Also Touchdown has a 30 day trial for you to see if you like it.

Naa
    12-28-2011 09:30 AM
    And another update:

I recently flashed Calkulin's Rom for the E4GT. He's included a modification to the exchange security that allows for a removal of the need for a password. This means I can now use J4velin's "Delayed Lock" application.

So far it works well and allows me to keep the 6 digit Pin with exchange security AND have a delay for the lock screen.

Try it out if you are ok with rooting and flashing his rom which you can find at the link below:

[ ROM ] Calkulin's E4GT v2.8.1 [ EL29 l Fast l Tweaked l Battery Saver Script ] - xda-developers

nb
    02-10-2012 09:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD