04-15-2012 06:05 PM
60 123
tools
    To the OP:

I'm sorry your phone got messed up. Regardless of whether you pay for insurance or not, that sucks.

I'm at work and don't really have time to research, but look up iFixit to see if they have a guide or can show you how to replace the screen.

Also, you can always ask a sprint technician. You might get a nice/useful one who will do the switch for not to much. I got some of my older phones fixed when I thought I was out of luck this way.

Good luck
    12-21-2011 01:15 PM
    XO skin claims to fill in scratches good

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    12-21-2011 01:19 PM
    XO skin claims to fill in scratches good

Looks good, thanks for the mention!

Guess I'm stuck scratched though. =[
    12-21-2011 02:47 PM
    It does look like removing the screen is a bit of a pain since it require a heat gun:
    Samsung Epic 4G Touch Teardown - Page 2 - iFixit

Screen also isn't cheap:
    Samsung Epic 4G LCD and Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement
    12-21-2011 04:42 PM
    That link is for the original Epic 4G screen...the screen for the Touch is probably more money. And to the OP, I wasn't saying that you were lying, I was saying the coins did not cause the scratches..I'm sure that your glass got scratched, and that is a bummer.
    12-21-2011 05:06 PM
    Sand is perhaps the biggest cause of scratches to screens in pockets.

I know it's not glass, but three years ago had a neighbor who washed and waxed his mustang every week. One time while buffing the car with a power buffer he set it down in the driveway to answer a phone call. Picked it up and didn't notice the sand on the pad. Scratched the heck out of his hood.
    12-21-2011 08:32 PM
    My OG Droid was invincible. I have slammed it off walls thrown it in parking lots. Even tossed it out of a moving car going 50 onto the street, came and got it the next day. The case is all scratched and busted but the screen is flawless. It still opens and closes like the day I got it. I'd get drunk and it would freeze or the battery would die and off a wall it would go. Had the phone since a couple days after it was released. Gorilla glass is some strong stuff or at least it used to be. I just put it into retirement when I got my nexus.

12-21-2011 08:49 PM
    It is just a phone, and eventually I will find some sort of repair for it as the months progress...hopefully. Thanks for the help though guys, I appreciate it.
    12-21-2011 11:23 PM
    CORNING GORILLA GLASS | SAMSUNG

Well I don't know if that's just the international-gsm version that has it
    12-22-2011 12:22 AM
    I'm just a kid man, I don't need unnecessary payments that I can't make.
    Welcome to the world of $500 phones.
    To replace the glass means replacing the whole front assembly with LCD included. 100 insurance deductable is a fair price.
    If you dont have insurance which i think you said you didnt, then the part is probably around 100-200 bucks. Depending if its OEM or aftermarket. BUT since your dealing with a SAMOLED display your better off getting OEM.
    12-26-2011 04:04 PM
    Personally I don't think this phone has gorilla glass, my phone has a couple of scratches and ive only had it a couple of times in my pocket with keys so either it doesn't have gorilla glass or or gorilla glass sucks!
    12-26-2011 08:14 PM
    I concur - if the E4gT had Gorilla glass then I'm certain they would promote that on the Samsung official website. I can't find any mention of it.
    Specs - Sprint Cell Phones SPH-D710 | Samsung Cell Phones

I would love to be wrong, however I have only seen mention of Gorilla glass on non-official sites/blogs.
    12-27-2011 08:57 AM
    I concur - if the E4gT had Gorilla glass then I'm certain they would promote that on the Samsung official website. I can't find any mention of it.
    Specs - Sprint Cell Phones SPH-D710 | Samsung Cell Phones

I would love to be wrong, however I have only seen mention of Gorilla glass on non-official sites/blogs.
    FWIW, the Corning site says the "Galaxy S II" has Gorilla glass. Doesn't specifically call out the US variations. Also, there's a "semi-official" post from a Sprint rep saying it is Gorilla glass here:

[Confirmed] Epic 4G Touch DOES have gorilla glass - xda-developers

No scratches on mine yet, but I don't put it in the pocket with keys/coins.
    12-27-2011 11:16 AM
    FWIW, the Corning site says the "Galaxy S II" has Gorilla glass. Doesn't specifically call out the US variations. Also, there's a "semi-official" post from a Sprint rep saying it is Gorilla glass here:

I foolishly started a new thread for the same topic and I am sorry about that. I also have a scratch and cant figure out how the scratch was even made. I don't have insurance and I guess I am stuck with a phone with the scratch even though I was meticulous about babying my phone. This fully sucks. I wish I could just swap it one for one like tmobile allows.
    [Confirmed] Epic 4G Touch DOES have gorilla glass - xda-developers

No scratches on mine yet, but I don't put it in the pocket with keys/coins.
    12-31-2011 06:42 PM
    I highly doubt that the screen was scratched by the coins in your pocket. Glass is a very hard substance and as such can only be scratched by something harder. The metal the coins are made of is much lower on the hardness scale. I suspect you had some sand in your pocket (probably specs of sand mixed in with lint/dust). I have been using smartphones since the iPhone 3G came out and never have used a screen protector. I accidentally scratched one of my Evo 4G phones using my tungsten wedding ring, but that has been the only screen scratch in over three years.
    This guy is absolutely right. Everyone else saying keys/coins should do a tiny bit of research.
    12-31-2011 06:51 PM
    I always go with screen protectors even tho it has guerrilla glass. What gets scratched is the coating not the glass itself.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    12-31-2011 07:01 PM
    I always go with screen protectors even tho it has guerrilla glass. What gets scratched is the coating not the glass itself.

No, gorilla glass actually scratches too.
    12-31-2011 07:44 PM
    Yeah it does but after the coating

12-31-2011 07:50 PM
    I'm just a kid man, I don't need unnecessary payments that I can't make.
    I'm just a girl kid!
    01-04-2012 06:05 PM
    Hey guys just talked to sprint about my scratch they won't let you swap out phone one for one even if your under the warranty. That kind of sucks. Oh well I love my phone but I am broken hearted about the scratch.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk
    01-04-2012 07:19 PM
    Hey guys just talked to sprint about my scratch they won't let you swap out phone one for one even if your under the warranty. That kind of sucks. Oh well I love my phone but I am broken hearted about the scratch.

Why would they give you a new phone for a scratch?
    01-04-2012 07:28 PM
    http://www.wirelessground.com/saguaki.html
    Idk if this stuff works, but it's worth a try. Anyone without insurance should probably get it.. But then again, it doesn't cover a scratch.. I had an Evo 4G with a scratch... Sucked a**! I feel your pain!! Never go out of the store again wout a screen protector & a case.. That was a lesson i definitely learned the hard way..

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    hawaiijedi likes this.
    01-04-2012 08:49 PM
    My wife got a new screen at a 3rd party cellphone store in Houston.. Sucked!! They can't get it like the factory can. Idk if all places are like Affordable wireless but it cost $90 and dust and crap would get under the screen. Guy told us "afterwards " that noone could get the seals for em.. Probably full of sh**... Try that sealer stuff online. & if that doesn't work find a place that can replace it that's reputable.. If there is such a thing.. Good luck!
    hawaiijedi likes this.
    01-04-2012 09:09 PM
    So even if you have insurance they won't replace phone for scratch on screen? Oh well, I ordered the steinheil ultra clear screen protector and hopefully it will hide the scratch.

01-05-2012 05:07 AM
    Depends how bad it is... If it's some small scratch, no insurance won't cover it.. But if it's broken or cracked glass, they will....

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    hawaiijedi likes this.
    01-05-2012 07:21 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD