04-15-2012 06:05 PM
60 123
tools
    Okay well unfortunately I had a screen cover on my phone and I took it off because I was told there was gorilla glass already equipped on my phone and that the phone came with a built on removable screen cover and that doesn't seem to be the case. Now, I have a scratched phone and its too bothersome to use.so is there a good method of getting a new screen or any recommendations?
    12-20-2011 04:44 PM
    Do you have insurance from sprint?
    12-20-2011 05:07 PM
    Unfortunately I do not have insurance.
    12-20-2011 05:11 PM
    So sorry to hear that. How did it get scratched (with what)?
    12-20-2011 06:15 PM
    My outer screen actually got cracked from a fall from vehicle roof at 55mph..... but phone still works fine. I put a screen protector on it too keep from getting cut by little shards of glass... I have insurance but this isn't the time of year I want give away $100...... so ya does anyone know where too get the glass?? How difficult of a change out will it be???
    12-20-2011 07:01 PM
    Probably fairly difficult. You should call your local tech store and see how much they would charge to order a new screen for you.
    12-20-2011 07:37 PM
    Sooooo.....this phone doesn't have "gorilla glass"??
    12-20-2011 08:11 PM
    I don't know if it does, I had it in my pocket with some change and I happen to take it out to an actually ridiculously scratched screen.
    12-20-2011 08:35 PM
    gorilla glass isnt unbreakable, its more scratch resistant. you cant just replace the glass either as it is part of the screen itself.
    12-20-2011 08:37 PM
    So I am stuck with a phone I purchased three months ago for the next two years or I can pay the unreasonable price of breaking the contract? I can't just sit here with a scratched screen, its too unbearable. =[
    12-20-2011 08:40 PM
    "Gorilla Glass" does nothing for falls. Not one bit.

Gorilla Glass is meant to resist small, every day scratches from occuring. This could happen from your finger nails, your phone is in your pocket with your keys, you put your phone face down on a plastic or soft metal surface, etc etc.

Have you ever dropped a glass in the kitchen? Now imagine if instead of that glass shattering, it stayed where it was but just cracked. Yea, take your "Gorilla Glass" phone and drop it and that's what happens.
    12-20-2011 08:44 PM
    No, it got scratched in my pocket with coins in one day. It's messed up.
    12-20-2011 09:22 PM
    My outer screen actually got cracked from a fall from vehicle roof at 55mph.
    Sooooo.....this phone doesn't have "gorilla glass"??
    Gorilla glass won't stop scratches or breakage from a car at 55pmh -- heck a gorilla won't do so well falling from a car at 55pmh. :P
    syphex likes this.
    12-20-2011 09:55 PM
    So I am stuck with a phone I purchased three months ago for the next two years or I can pay the unreasonable price of breaking the contract? I can't just sit here with a scratched screen, its too unbearable. =[
    Some will say the insurance isn't worth it -- but as you are finding out now, it very well may be!!
    12-20-2011 09:56 PM
    Some will say the insurance isn't worth it -- but as you are finding out now, it very well may be!!
    I'm just a kid man, I don't need unnecessary payments that I can't make.
    12-20-2011 10:00 PM
    Then you'll have to live with a scratched screen. You should never have taken off your screen protector. Next time, do some research. You should've looked up gorilla glass; you would've found that it actually does scratch/break (sometimes very easily).
    12-20-2011 10:36 PM
    I'm sure replacing the screen will be a larger payment than the insurance. I would take it back to Sprint, tell them it got scratched with just normal everyday use and demand that they replace it.

You might get lucky. If not your no worse off than you are now
    12-21-2011 02:15 AM
    I'm really questioning the quality standards of gorilla glass these days. I remember when it first made an appearance two years ago there were many videos of people using their keys and knives trying like **** to scratch the screens on OG Droid and such even with very high pressure yet they never scratched. Now you put it in a pocket with some change one time and the screen is junked. Maybe there is a reason Google chose not to use it on the Galaxy Nexus.
    12-21-2011 05:43 AM
    I highly doubt that the screen was scratched by the coins in your pocket. Glass is a very hard substance and as such can only be scratched by something harder. The metal the coins are made of is much lower on the hardness scale. I suspect you had some sand in your pocket (probably specs of sand mixed in with lint/dust). I have been using smartphones since the iPhone 3G came out and never have used a screen protector. I accidentally scratched one of my Evo 4G phones using my tungsten wedding ring, but that has been the only screen scratch in over three years.
    crzycrkr likes this.
    12-21-2011 09:26 AM
    Maybe there is a reason Google chose not to use it on the Galaxy Nexus.
    I'll bet the reason was the curve of the glass...it isn't available from Corning in the convex shape.
    12-21-2011 09:28 AM
    Just as a word of caution...put your phone in a separate pocket. Items such as keys, coins, etc. CAN scratch gorilla glass given enough pressure/time. Why take the risk? As such, your 3 month old device is scratched due to this.
    basketthis and Uncle Louie like this.
    12-21-2011 09:57 AM
    The OP could wait until the next 'open enrollment ' (can't recall the correct term) that Sprint offers for the insurance, add it, then replace the glass.
    AddversitY likes this.
    12-21-2011 11:33 AM
    Depending on how bad it's scratched, you might try a screen protector. Some of the stick on protectors actually do a good job of hiding existing scratches. I used a Phantom Skinz on an older Palm Pre and the existing scratches pretty much disappeared.
    12-21-2011 12:12 PM
    I highly doubt that the screen was scratched by the coins in your pocket. Glass is a very hard substance and as such can only be scratched by something harder. The metal the coins are made of is much lower on the hardness scale. I suspect you had some sand in your pocket (probably specs of sand mixed in with lint/dust). I have been using smartphones since the iPhone 3G came out and never have used a screen protector. I accidentally scratched one of my Evo 4G phones using my tungsten wedding ring, but that has been the only screen scratch in over three years.
    You're right, I'm lying?

Anyhow, I thought the purpose of Gorilla Glass was to specifically avoid these types of scratches from keys, coins, and other small potentially dangerous threats to the phone's screen. It's how it was advertised, to say the least. I put a screen cover back on, but obviously I can still see the scratches which were on it because they are not minor but at the same time no huge gashes. It's an inconvenience at the least and it bothers me that my brand new phone has scratches on it and it is in no way replaceable.
    12-21-2011 12:30 PM
    Was it ever actually confirmed that the phone has gorilla glass ? I ask because I ran with a Droid X for a long time with no cover. Constantly tossed it down in my pocket with pens, coins, keys and other items and never had so much as a mark.

The first time I put my 4GT in a pocket with a pen it got a few small scratches after having been in there for less than 10 minutes. I have a screen protector on now and its enough to cover the scratches so I cant see them.

If it is gorilla glass the quality has definitely changed. Before I tossed out my X I did the knife test and it took a sizeable effort to make a mark on the screen. Definitely more than just a pen in the pocket.
    12-21-2011 01:14 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD