I have had an evo 3d since it came out.

It was my 2nd android phone, the first being a Evo shift 4g

I had used a palm pre webos phone for nearly 2 years before then...but i figured webos was rapidly becoming a dead platform so opted to switch to android.

i had briefly picked up an iphone 4s but hated it so much I quickly returned it.

I do like the EVO 3d and I have not had any MAJOR issues with it.

But I never use the 3d. Battery life is not always great, even if I disable most of the background sync stuff and keep gps/bluetooth/wifi off

I know the Samsung G2 Epic 4g touch has a better screen--better camera--any owners can comment on the build quality, battery life? GPS

touchwiz vs sense?

I guess I should wait until after jan and see if sprint will ever get the galaxy nexus, but just debating--I still have an upgrade available on my account but not sure when to pull the trigger!

David
    12-30-2011 01:24 PM
    I came from an EVO 3D and can honestly say NO REGRETS. I really miss Sense at times, but 90% of the features from Sense are available in the market or come with TouchWiz.

The battery life is pretty darn nice for a phone of this caliber, I can normally get through the day with no problems.

The camera and screen on this phone are by far the best of any phone I have had (I have had every high end smartphone on Sprint).

Signal strength is stronger on this phone than the EVO 3D, my 3D would lose signal completely in areas this phone keeps it. If signal is a big deal to you then the Motorola Photon is by far the best Android phone on Sprint right now.
    12-30-2011 01:52 PM
    I had the EVO 3D for a few weeks when it came out. I switched to the Nexus S because I couldn't stand the phone. It was laggy as hell, battery was terrible and I didn't like sense. I have the Epic 4G Touch now and this is much better than the Nexus S. Its probably the best phone out right now including the Galaxy Nexus due to better processor and camera. This phone is on another level than the Evo, it really isn't close. I still don't understand why people sight 3D as a reason for switching though. The E3D doesn't force you to use it so who cares? As far as speed, screen and battery life though its not even close. Depending on your cost of switching it is a no brained.
    12-30-2011 01:52 PM
    I had an Evo 4G and my wife still has an Evo 3D and I love my Epic 4G Touch. The screen is just AWESOME and the lightness of the phone is great. I know many wonder if the build is flimsy since it is so light but I am not finding that at all. I just live the feel of the phone in my hand. My wife's Evo 3D feels super heavy now.

Now when it comes to battery life I think the Evo 3D id pretty stinking great. My wife can go two full days before she starts to get nervous. That is unheard of with the Epic Touch, so the Evo 3D wins there.

Over all the Epic Touch wins in my book every time. Good luck!
    12-30-2011 04:11 PM
    Went through 3 evo 3d's before I gave up trying to get a good signal anywhere. I could be standing next to a tower and it would drop a call. Batt life was OK with some tweaking but nothing stellar. So I decided to go with the photon.

The photon was, and still is, a great phone paired with go launcher. I gave it to my dad when I decided to get the e4gt. I don't regret it, but at times I miss the photon due to its awesome radio's.

I love my e4gt and would say it's the best phone on sprint right now. There are so many things to describe what I love about it but most of the other guys summed it up pretty good for me. The best thing for you to do is though, go to a sprint store and play with it for a while. You won't be dissapointed.
    12-30-2011 06:13 PM
    Both phones are great. The samsung is better for me as i have larger hands. My wife will be using the 3D soon enough as its more of a fit for her...

Both are very fast and can be customized to your hearts desire. Some of the features of the epic touch are better simply because its a newer phone. The battery life on the galaxy is great too! If you have an upgrade eligibility, i would say to go for it, otherwise stick with the 3D...
    12-30-2011 07:02 PM
    I also had an Evo 3D, and I like my epic touch better, mainly because of the screen and battery life.
    12-30-2011 10:07 PM
    You will not regret getting the epic touch. The battery life is awesome and the screen is top knotch!! :thumbup:

Sent from my Galaxy S II using Tapatalk
    12-30-2011 10:34 PM
    I had the EVO 3D since the day it dropped. I was a true blue HTC fan for all of my smartphone owning days. Had the Original EVO then waited for the 3D, but I felt like SAMSUNG really stepped it up with the Galaxy S2. Just was not satisfied with how thick my 3D was. The camera is so bad compared to the galaxys2. Sense was pretty nice, but was so bloated in my opinion compared to TouchWiz which is closer to stock. Even things like the boot time on my 3D bothered me. The Galaxy boots so much faster and the battery life is amazing. The screen is better..I could go on, but I do not think you will regret it.
    12-30-2011 11:15 PM
    I absolutely love my Epic Touch! I am just like you with sticking with palm until the bitter end. I am sooo glad i switched to Android and I will never look back. I had the original Epic 4G, The Evo 4g (wife using it now) The Evo 3d (wifes next phone) and now the Epic Touch. The Epic Touch I think cannot even be compared to any of the phones I have had. It is truly amazing. I thought it was going to be a flimzy phone, but I am blown away by it. I usually get a new phone (toy) every six months because I get tired of them. the phone that I have had the longest in my life was the Palm Pre. I had that for 1 1/2 years! This phone is going to stick around for a long time!(well until the Galaxy 3 comes out..lol).
    12-31-2011 07:51 AM
    I too am happy with my Epic Touch.
    I came from a 3D. The larger screen, SAMOLED+ display, and the thin profile overall are plusses to the device.
    Its very responsive. I definitely recommend testing it out and taking advantage of the limited return policy.
    01-01-2012 07:41 PM
    Never bothered with the evo 3d, this epic touch is awesome! I've had tons of phones on lots of cariers and this is the BEST phone I've ever had, second and third are the Blackberry 9000 and the original iphone. Of course, when I get one , I must get one for the wife within a week! Oh well, we won't need another phone for a LONG time, at least for a year...at least until the Nexus Galaxy comes onto Sprint...lol

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    01-01-2012 09:16 PM
    Never bothered with the evo 3d, this epic touch is awesome! I've had tons of phones on lots of cariers and this is the BEST phone I've ever had, second and third are the Blackberry 9000 and the original iphone. Of course, when I get one , I must get one for the wife within a week! Oh well, we won't need another phone for a LONG time, at least for a year...at least until the Nexus Galaxy comes onto Sprint...lol

That galaxy nexus is a whole heap of mess check out its forums its loaded with problems

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    01-02-2012 12:21 AM
    I heard stuff here and there but hopefully the updates fix it...I guess this epic touch is the BEST phone out now, huh?

01-02-2012 12:48 AM
    Hi, I just left the EVO3D right after Christmas. I had the 3D since it launched and loved every minute of it. My roommates got the E4GT and I couldn't get my eyes off of it.

I used the 3D, my girlfirends Iphone 4S, and my good friends Blackberry Bold touch and everyone is loving my E4GT

You won't regret switching. I sold mine EVO3D on ebay and got my money back from what I paid for it back in June. It's a win win

Good luck!!!
    01-03-2012 06:56 AM
    Hi, I just left the EVO3D right after Christmas. I had the 3D since it launched and loved every minute of it. My roommates got the E4GT and I couldn't get my eyes off of it.

I used the 3D, my girlfirends Iphone 4S, and my good friends Blackberry Bold touch and everyone is loving my E4GT

You won't regret switching. I sold mine EVO3D on ebay and got my money back from what I paid for it back in June. It's a win win

Good luck!!!
    I'm in the same exact boat. I had the 3d since launch day and loved it but I didn't use the 3d features that much and missed having a decent camera (you realize quickly how much you use the camera when you have kids). So I purchased best buy's buy back program and I was just under my 6 months the day after christmas and got $350 back, so I got the Epic and haven't looked back!
    01-03-2012 12:17 PM
    These are both great phones but...

The EVO 3D is bigger: 4.96" x 2.56" x 0.47" = 5.97 in

The Epic 4G is smaller: 5.10" x 2.70" x 0.38 = 5.2 in

The EVO 3D has a smaller screen: 4.3" vs. 4.52".

The EVO 3D weighs more: 6 oz vs 4.55 oz.

See the Phone Comparison for details.

As to the iPhone 4S, here is more on the iPhone 4S' 40 missing features: Apple Users Guide to Android.

But iIf 3D is your most important feature, there is no comparison, get the 3D phone.
    01-03-2012 03:05 PM
    I just recently gave my wife my Evo 3d and got the Epic Touch. It's my first Samsung phone in quite a while. I've been an HTC fan from back in my Windows Mobile days before I switched over to Android with the Evo 4g. Both phones have a pretty solid feel to them in spite of their lightness. The 3D aspect I've always thought was a gimmick but there are other differences I notice:
    Switching from Sense made me realize how much work HTC has put into the look. The weather/time applet looks really snazzy compared to Samsung's simpler one. However, the TouchWiz widget opens to a full week of forecasts, which I like. I'd rather Samsung hadn't put the for stock icons at the bottom. I'd rather have that space free for other apps. Sense seems to make a little better use of screen real estate while still making sure the phone and all-apps are always available. I also like the look of the built-in HTC message app better. On the other hand, sense is far more resource intensive than TouchWiz.
    I switched to the S2 for the additional internal memory and the NFC chip. I was a bit surprised that the internal memory is divided between what we typically think of as phone ROM and about 14GB of storage. This has a number of repercussions, one of which is that applications that usually would install on or store data on an inserted microSD card use this memory instead. That's because the internal storage is at /mnt/sdcard and it places the inserted microSD card at /mnt/sdcard/external_sd.
    It would be nice if the "external" card were placed at the same level so you could have a choice of installing to internal or external memory and that programs would look there for program data as well.
    I almost immediately bought an extended capacity battery for my Evo 3D. I haven't had to for the S2. One reason I can immediately see is the display. The S2's display requires a lot less backlight to be readable (and it seems easier to read in direct sunlight as well). Less backlight means lower power consumption. There are probably some other reasons as well, but my S2 has just gone though a full day without charging overnight. My 3D would not have done that.
    I also noticed that the maximum volume level seems a bit higher on the S2. I can listen to an audio-book in the car without having problems with road noise and without having to hook into the cars audio system.
    01-03-2012 03:59 PM
    I did the upgrade.
    I am happy so far.
    Battery life is improved
    Screen is obviously different-brighter even at a lower setting than the 3d--the resolution is lower, but..the larger text is easier to read I find.
    Camera and Camera App is way better than evo 3d
    I never used the 3d on the old evo.
    The device feels better in the hand an easier to hold than 3d, even though the screen is larger

I like both devices but am happy with se4gt so far.

But does the Samsung Epic 4g Touch have an NFC chip??
    01-03-2012 05:17 PM
    I just recently gave my wife my Evo 3d and got the Epic Touch. It's my first Samsung phone in quite a while. I've been an HTC fan from back in my Windows Mobile days before I switched over to Android with the Evo 4g. Both phones have a pretty solid feel to them in spite of their lightness. The 3D aspect I've always thought was a gimmick but there are other differences I notice:
    Switching from Sense made me realize how much work HTC has put into the look. The weather/time applet looks really snazzy compared to Samsung's simpler one. However, the TouchWiz widget opens to a full week of forecasts, which I like. I'd rather Samsung hadn't put the for stock icons at the bottom. I'd rather have that space free for other apps. Sense seems to make a little better use of screen real estate while still making sure the phone and all-apps are always available. I also like the look of the built-in HTC message app better. On the other hand, sense is far more resource intensive than TouchWiz.
    I switched to the S2 for the additional internal memory and the NFC chip. I was a bit surprised that the internal memory is divided between what we typically think of as phone ROM and about 14GB of storage. This has a number of repercussions, one of which is that applications that usually would install on or store data on an inserted microSD card use this memory instead. That's because the internal storage is at /mnt/sdcard and it places the inserted microSD card at /mnt/sdcard/external_sd.
    It would be nice if the "external" card were placed at the same level so you could have a choice of installing to internal or external memory and that programs would look there for program data as well.
    I almost immediately bought an extended capacity battery for my Evo 3D. I haven't had to for the S2. One reason I can immediately see is the display. The S2's display requires a lot less backlight to be readable (and it seems easier to read in direct sunlight as well). Less backlight means lower power consumption. There are probably some other reasons as well, but my S2 has just gone though a full day without charging overnight. My 3D would not have done that.
    I also noticed that the maximum volume level seems a bit higher on the S2. I can listen to an audio-book in the car without having problems with road noise and without having to hook into the cars audio system.
    Great points, I just wanted to say you can change the stock dock icons. The only one that can't be replaced is the "applications" icon because it's used as a "home" icon when viewing all apps in the app drawer.

01-03-2012 07:34 PM

But does the Samsung Epic 4g Touch have an NFC chip??
    Nope, no NFC chipset in hardware.
    01-03-2012 07:41 PM
    ...The weather/time applet looks really snazzy
    ...The S2's display requires a lot less backlight to be readable (and it seems easier to read in direct sunlight as well). Less backlight means lower power consumption...
    Try the Beautiful Widgets. One of their clocks is a copy of the HTC.

The Galaxy S2 does not have a backlight. It is a SAMOLED display.
    01-03-2012 10:44 PM
    No regrets after going from the 3D this phone. The battery life lasts all day and still has 30% left over at the end of the day. With the 3D I felt tethered to an outlet. Now with this phone I feel free to actually USE it and enjoy all of the features that ANDROID and the APP world have to offer.
    01-05-2012 09:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD