I thought we had gorilla glass and it was mostly scratch proof. I have a scratch pretty deep and I can't figure out where it came from. I only dropped it once and at that time there was no damage so it can't be from that drop. Anyone know if I can swap my phone out for a new one? I have been babying this phone so well that a scratch like this is a shocker.
    12-31-2011 03:53 PM
    Gorilla Glass is more scratch resistant than plastic, but is still scratchable. You probably had it in your pocket with something harder like keys and leaned up against something pushing metal onto glass.

If your within your 14 days you can swap it. Otherwise, you can pay the deductible and have it replaced via insurance if you have it. Worst case you could cover it with a nice screen protector like the Steinheil Ultra Crystal so you can't see it as much and deal with it.

Scratches are a bummer. I feel for you. I highly suggest a screen protector. I use the Steinheil and you can barely tell its there.

Sent from my HTC EVO View via Tapatalk
    ready2rise and hawaiijedi like this.
    12-31-2011 06:50 PM
    That's the reason is If I have to put it in my pocket, I put it by itself never with anything else

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    12-31-2011 07:03 PM
    I have a scratch on mine but it doesn't effect the screen at all. I covered it with a screen protector and you can't see it. I only had mine in a pocket by itself and still got a small scratch.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    01-01-2012 03:43 PM
    So pissed but same here. A little scratch in the middle very annoying. but it is what it is. I wonder if the same stuff they use to fix windshields can be used on these screens? Hmmm
    01-02-2012 04:30 AM
    I doubt it just use a screen protector

hawaiijedi likes this.
    01-02-2012 09:06 AM
    That's the reason is If I have to put it in my pocket, I put it by itself never with anything else

A single grain of sand in your pocket can do that to your screen. All it takes is something harder than your screen, and a grain of sand qualifies. Total bummer though.
    hawaiijedi likes this.
    01-02-2012 07:15 PM
    A single grain of sand in your pocket can do that to your screen. All it takes is something harder than your screen, and a grain of sand qualifies. Total bummer though.
    Exactly...and diamonds.
    $20-$25 for a good screen protector is a small price to pay for "insurance" against daily wear and tear.
    hawaiijedi likes this.
    01-03-2012 04:15 PM
    I heard that there is a type of polish that can be used on gorilla glass. Its a type of glaze i think. It can fill in small surface scratches. Its made by 3m.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    hawaiijedi likes this.
    01-03-2012 11:11 PM
    JayWill is right - Gorilla Glass is not scratch proof (as you've found), but scratch resistant.

User here tried some not cheap 3M stuff with success: Gorilla Glass DOES Scratch... But I Know How To Repair it. - PPCGeeks

Though we haven't seen the damage, your scratch can likely be improved upon, but a polish is pretty risky - you can make it much worse.

I'd go with trying a screen saver over the scratch first.

Good luck.
    01-04-2012 07:07 AM
    Any polish you use on the screen will remove the oleo-phobic coating on the screen. Of course, with the screen scratched this may not be an issue for you.
    01-05-2012 08:41 AM
    Exactly... I've carried all of my phones over the years in my left front pocket and nothing else. Just makes sense to me.

I doubt it just use a screen protector
    Again... Exactly... Nothing is scratch proof, not even diamonds. You don't want scratches on your screen, use a screen protector. Their are so many different opinions on the market, it almost makes no sense not to do the research and find one that works for you.

Ever device I've bought from my Treo700p, Pre, Moment, EVo4g and now my ET4G I've bought a case and a screen saver for before I left the store. Even if they weren't exactly what I wanted. At least they were protected till I had time to find exactly what I wanted.

And because I've done that I've been able to sell my old devices for 200$ or more. And because of that everyone of my new devices have perrty much been free. Heck... I made 150$ upgrading to my ET4G... Sold my eVo for 350$.

Sent from my Galaxy10.1 TouchWiz/ADWex equipped Starship.
    01-05-2012 09:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD