02-06-2012 02:48 PM
30 12
tools
    I don't know why it would be normal. I only know that this isn't the first time I've seen a thread about it, and that it does seem to be normal for our phones.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    01-22-2012 09:56 PM
    I just got a replacement this past week. Went into a sprint store and showed them my google maps. It was showing me somewhere across town. They uninstalled my gmap update then reinstalled it... Nothing. So they ordered me a new phone and had it shipped to the house. And now all my digital copy movies are useless. That really pisses me off.
    evilgenyus likes this.
    02-04-2012 10:43 AM
    Try a factory reset. Has helped people with their gps
    02-05-2012 01:32 AM
    Why would that be normal? Why should you need data to get a GPS signal?

It is not a huge deal as I normally have a data connection, but when overseas or in more rural areas, the GPS doesn't work which sucks.
    Because your garmin or tomtom has map data, you don't have a secret rom with all the map data in it on a smartphone. GPS sats don't just "magic" that info to the GPS, it is already present.

The GUI and how well a particular manufacturer uses Android seems to be the biggest problem as far as I can tell. The 3rd party GPS apps with downloadable region maps are pricey, and each subsequent region of data is a seperate charge, which blows. I hope Garmin makes an android nav app, I'm sure it would be reasonable and actually have full data for the country included, but I would want to be able to only load regions, as the whole US would be quite large I'm sure.
    02-06-2012 01:29 PM
    Because your garmin or tomtom has map data, you don't have a secret rom with all the map data in it on a smartphone. GPS sats don't just "magic" that info to the GPS, it is already present.

The GUI and how well a particular manufacturer uses Android seems to be the biggest problem as far as I can tell. The 3rd party GPS apps with downloadable region maps are pricey, and each subsequent region of data is a seperate charge, which blows. I hope Garmin makes an android nav app, I'm sure it would be reasonable and actually have full data for the country included, but I would want to be able to only load regions, as the whole US would be quite large I'm sure.
    Well, that is not really correct. As I said, I cached the map data. Google maps allows that now. Having the map is not the issue. Even with it cached, the GPS doesn't work. The issue is there is a software problem or they are using a cheap gps cheap that needs a data connection to work.
    02-06-2012 02:48 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD