Anyone get a replacement for GPS?

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I just did the command for my sprint device and it worked. I completely forgot it asks for the msl though. I understand your issue. It was just a suggestion to hopefully try and help solve your issue. Like I said, I have never had these issues so I have not messed around with my gps. I was just trying to help.

It doesn't work unless you use the stock dialer. I tried it (search for how to find your mls) with the stock dialer and it did reset. However, the GPS still does not lock onto any satellite if I go into airplane mode.

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
As far as I know that is the normal behavior. Doubt they would exchange your phone for it. If they do you should expect the same behavior from the new one.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
As far as I know that is the normal behavior. Doubt they would exchange your phone for it. If they do you should expect the same behavior from the new one.

Why would that be normal? Why should you need data to get a GPS signal?

It is not a huge deal as I normally have a data connection, but when overseas or in more rural areas, the GPS doesn't work which sucks.

cruiserandmax

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

It is not a huge deal as I normally have a data connection, but when overseas or in more rural areas, the GPS doesn't work which sucks.

I completely agree. My Optimus S locks onto GPS with no wifi or data assist nearly instanty.. In rural Mexico I was able to cache Gooogle Maps for entire area when I had a connection, then drive around using navigation with zero data service of any kind...

IMO there is no excuse for a GPS that doesn't work well entirely on it's own with a reasonable view of the sky. GPS performance on the ET4G is the only thing that has kept me from upgrading since it came out. Otherwise it's the perfect phone- but with no GPS forget it.

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I completely agree. My Optimus S locks onto GPS with no wifi or data assist nearly instanty.. In rural Mexico I was able to cache Gooogle Maps for entire area when I had a connection, then drive around using navigation with zero data service of any kind...

IMO there is no excuse for a GPS that doesn't work well entirely on it's own with a reasonable view of the sky. GPS performance on the ET4G is the only thing that has kept me from upgrading since it came out. Otherwise it's the perfect phone- but with no GPS forget it.

GPS = Global Positioning System. If it only works in certain parts of the US, it isn't global and it isn't GPS.

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't know why it would be normal. I only know that this isn't the first time I've seen a thread about it, and that it does seem to be normal for our phones.

sparkeater79

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I just got a replacement this past week. Went into a sprint store and showed them my google maps. It was showing me somewhere across town. They uninstalled my gmap update then reinstalled it... Nothing. So they ordered me a new phone and had it shipped to the house. And now all my digital copy movies are useless. That really pisses me off.

Reactions: evilgenyus

E_Cross

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

Because your garmin or tomtom has map data, you don't have a secret rom with all the map data in it on a smartphone. GPS sats don't just "magic" that info to the GPS, it is already present.

The GUI and how well a particular manufacturer uses Android seems to be the biggest problem as far as I can tell. The 3rd party GPS apps with downloadable region maps are pricey, and each subsequent region of data is a seperate charge, which blows. I hope Garmin makes an android nav app, I'm sure it would be reasonable and actually have full data for the country included, but I would want to be able to only load regions, as the whole US would be quite large I'm sure.

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Because your garmin or tomtom has map data, you don't have a secret rom with all the map data in it on a smartphone. GPS sats don't just "magic" that info to the GPS, it is already present.

The GUI and how well a particular manufacturer uses Android seems to be the biggest problem as far as I can tell. The 3rd party GPS apps with downloadable region maps are pricey, and each subsequent region of data is a seperate charge, which blows. I hope Garmin makes an android nav app, I'm sure it would be reasonable and actually have full data for the country included, but I would want to be able to only load regions, as the whole US would be quite large I'm sure.

Well, that is not really correct. As I said, I cached the map data. Google maps allows that now. Having the map is not the issue. Even with it cached, the GPS doesn't work. The issue is there is a software problem or they are using a cheap gps cheap that needs a data connection to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674