Anyone get a replacement for GPS?

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I, like many others, have posted about poor GPS lock. I had it again yesterday on the outskirts of the Chicagoland area. When ever I don't have a cell signal, GPS doesn't get a lock. Yesterday it said I had 5 satellite in view, but it wasn't using any.

My question is, has anyone got a replacement phone from Samsung or Sprint for this problem? If they did, did it fix the problem?

I am wondering if it is a software issue rather than a hardware issue.

Can the people that don't have problems verify that their GPS works when they DON'T have a cell signal or wifi on?

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
If you have no cell signal, you will not get a GPS lock...at least not on the three SG2"s I've owned.

They lock instantly if you have a signal but no signal / communication with servers, no gps

Kikoshi

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
If you have no cell signal, you will not get a GPS lock...at least not on the three SG2"s I've owned.

They lock instantly if you have a signal but no signal / communication with servers, no gps

Kind of BS when the A-GPS should be able to get a lock and find the satellites even in airplane mode or no signal at all, try it out with airplane mode, and you'll see what i mean.

Sadly for some ridiculous reason, Samsung hasn't fixed this damn problem.

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I thought it was awesome when the cached map data features came to Google maps. Thought I would be able to just use my GPS in situations where I has no signal. I was dissapointed to see that it was not the case

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
So if you drive through areas with spoty coverage, the gps/navigaton is useless. That is ridiculous. A GPS chip does not require any kind of cellular or internet connection to work.

I guess it makes no sense for me to get a replacement phone.

Last edited:

crumbkake

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Probably safe to assume replacements won't happen. Samsung is, unfortunately, notorious for poor GPS performance (at least so far as their Sprint phones are concerned).

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch

Flyboy1100

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Kind of BS when the A-GPS should be able to get a lock and find the satellites even in airplane mode or no signal at all, try it out with airplane mode, and you'll see what i mean.

Sadly for some ridiculous reason, Samsung hasn't fixed this damn problem.

I seem to remember getting mine to work w/o data enabled, and actually it locks faster

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

luigidk

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I did get a replacement. Was not getting GPS lock - and within the first 7 days of having my phone I put in a call. After several discussions I was able to get a replacement phone. However this was still during my 14 day replacement period.

And no - there was no difference.

However - my GPS works once I use GPS Test to refresh aGPS as well as running GPS Fix and rebooting... Once I get a lock I'm ok.

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
In Europe, I had pre-cached the maps. I connected to wifi and update AGPS data. I rebooted the phone like 10 times, pulled the battery, etc. I could not get a lock at all. In GPS test app, it could not see 1 satellite even though I was in a wide open area.

scaryhumor

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm really disappointed with how long it takes to recalculate when you intentionally pass up a turn. Typically about a 1/2 mile for me. Otherwise, I love this phone.

bobvanjr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I did get a replacement. Was not getting GPS lock - and within the first 7 days of having my phone I put in a call. After several discussions I was able to get a replacement phone. However this was still during my 14 day replacement period.

And no - there was no difference.

However - my GPS works once I use GPS Test to refresh aGPS as well as running GPS Fix and rebooting... Once I get a lock I'm ok.

Same thing here but I was 1 day outside the 14 day return window. The replaced mine under insurance. Mine still doesn't lock at sometimes unless I use the GPS Test method which is total BS. I always think, "what if my wife or kid was trying to use this phone?" There'd be no way they could figure it out nor should they have to.

crumbkake

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Is this a major problem with this phone ?

It can be, but as I said earlier it seems to be a major problem with Samsung. Which is unfortunate because they make some really slick phones. I had poor GPS on the original moment and have no better than OK GPS on my S2.

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I had the same or a similar problem sometimes on my HTC Hero. I have to believe the GPS chips work fine. I think the way the manufactures integrate it into Android must be the issue.

I have never heard of anyone with a standalone GPS unit having these type of problems and they certainly don't have data connections.

teejmac

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I have not seen this issue with my E4GT

Have you tried a ##GPSCLRX#

##GPSCLRX# code resets the GPS on Android phones. After using the code, make sure that the GPS locks after the phone reboots. To verify that the GPS gets a lock, tap the navigation arrow and it should say it is accurate to within 20 meters. Anything more than 20m probably means the phone is only using wifi to get a location. Also, it can take up to 5 minutes to get a lock after reset so just keep that in mind.

Maybe this will work? I have not seen many problem with gps to be honest.

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I have not seen this issue with my E4GT

Have you tried a ##GPSCLRX#

##GPSCLRX# code resets the GPS on Android phones. After using the code, make sure that the GPS locks after the phone reboots. To verify that the GPS gets a lock, tap the navigation arrow and it should say it is accurate to within 20 meters. Anything more than 20m probably means the phone is only using wifi to get a location. Also, it can take up to 5 minutes to get a lock after reset so just keep that in mind.

Maybe this will work? I have not seen many problem with gps to be honest.

I dialed that code and it says the number or code is incorrect. I believe those are carrier specific and it doesn't work on Sprint. Besides that, rebooting the phone would certainly reset the GPS chip anyway.

You say that your GPS works. Mine works too...when on wifi or 3g or 4g. That is the issue. Turn on airplane mode and see if your gps works in an area you haven't tried to get a location with the radios on.

If I go to airplane mode at my house and open GPS Status, it doesn't find any satellites. If I have 3g or 4g on, it finds 8 at my house.

I know the GPS chip works though as it can pinpoint me at my exact location if the GPS and radios are on. If it was using triangulation, it wouldn't be that accurate.

Last edited:

teejmac

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I dialed that code and it says the number or code is incorrect. I believe those are carrier specific and it doesn't work on Sprint. Besides that, rebooting the phone would certainly reset the GPS chip anyway.

You say that your GPS works. Mine works too...when on wifi or 3g or 4g. That is the issue. Turn on airplane mode and see if your gps works in an area you haven't tried to get a location with the radios on.

If I go to airplane mode at my house and open GPS Status, it doesn't find any satellites. If I have 3g or 4g on, it finds 8 at my house.

I know the GPS chip works though as it can pinpoint me at my exact location if the GPS and radios are on. If it was using triangulation, it wouldn't be that accurate.

I just did the command for my sprint device and it worked. I completely forgot it asks for the msl though. I understand your issue. It was just a suggestion to hopefully try and help solve your issue. Like I said, I have never had these issues so I have not messed around with my gps. I was just trying to help.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stark