Hello,

I have Android 2.3.6 on my Samsung Epic 4G Touch. I rooted the device about an hour ago following the instructions I found here.

I installed the android tether application, it didn't work. I powered off, on, and then I got stuck on the Android splash screen. I took the battery out, started up again, and now everything is very buggy. Fancy Widgets won't show my location for weather, I'm getting constant 'sorry: the application___stopped unexpectedly' which I can then only force-close...all kinds of random problems.

I'd really appreciate some help. What should I do? Should I unroot (how to do that?). Thanks in advance.
    01-08-2012 07:44 PM
    These are my recommendations based off of your symptoms. It sounds as if you have some corrupt data plus the method you used to root is very out dated.

I would flash the official stock firmware from sprint via this method: [ODIN][STOCK][TAR] SPH-D710.EK02_CL704398 (EK02 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Factory Restore) - xda-developers be advised you will lose all your data but data sounds like the problem.

Then if you are feeling bold again re-root following this method: [ROOT][NCIQ][EG30/EG31/EK02] Auto root your existing stock ROM (w/o ODIN/ROM Flash) - xda-developers
    blues runner likes this.
    01-08-2012 08:17 PM
    Thanks.

Definitely having all kinds of little buggy problems. I tried doing a wipe/factory reset by holding the power and volume buttons but, while the phone looked like it did right out of the box, it still had the yellow triangle and android splash screen. Pages still don't reload correctly and connectivity is erratic. I assume the stock flash will remedy all this though.

I'll try what you've suggested later this afternoon and post back my findings. Appreciate the help.
    01-10-2012 11:49 AM
    Yeah I would try another Rom and flash it to see if your problems go away. It definately sounds like a rom problem. If something is wrong with the rom your on it might not help to factory restore. You should be able to stay rooted and just try another flash using your recovery.
    01-10-2012 12:20 PM
    OK. Can you tell me how to go about doing that? I've reset while on the phone with Sprint and everything's been wiped but I still have the yellow triangle while booting as well as the Superuser application. This tells me it hasn't completely been reset to factory status. Now what to do? Should I go ahead and try to reset it with the previously mentioned method (didn't work the first time), or should I try something else? If I flash another ROM, as you say, will it fix the problems that were caused by the outdated root in the first place?

I really need to fix this so your help is greatly appreciated.

ETA: As the return to stock method didn't work for me (serious pain in the *** with the download procedure - wants to install iLivid and further nonsense), can I or should I try doing it via method instead? My screen still isn't reloading properly. For instance, if I turn the phone from upright to horizontal position, all the icons don't re-show after switching unless I tap the screen. If I can flash another ROM that should fix these problems, which ROM is that and how do I go about it? Please advise.
    01-12-2012 09:25 PM
    Could somebody please help me with this problem? As I'm unable to flash the original sprint stock reset I don't know what to do. My phone is still rooted with the outdated rooting procedure, I'm having all kinds of problems. I won't go ahead and list them all again, they're mentioned in the above two posts.

I understand that I made a mistake and no one here is obligated to help but I would truly appreciate some help with this issue. How do I go about flashing another ROM? I've not done this before and wouldn't know which "ROM" to flash even if I were familiar with the procedure. My phone still has the yellow triangle during boot, still has the Superuser application and still shows all different kinds of little buggy symptoms that make using it a real difficulty.

If anyone has any suggestions, could you please post instructions along with relevant links to help me out? I'll duly thank you, rest assured.
    01-16-2012 08:17 PM
    I would follow the steps in this thread: [ODIN][STOCK][TAR] SPH-D710.EG30_CL435734 (EG30 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Factory Restore) - xda-developers

It will give you stock EG30, make sure you use the one that says "Reset user data"

Once that has successfully flashed and booted, I would then go into settings> about phone > system updates and update firmware/android which should give you stock EK02( which is the official sprint release). This should get rid of the yellow triangle.

If the settings update doesn't work then use this part of the thread near the top: "It WILL allow you to successfully install the official Sprint EK02 OTA update (manual d/l using ext-SD and Stock Recovery is quicker). " Just download the hyper linked file and put it on your internal sd card, turn the phone off. Then power on holding power and the volume down button. This will bring you to the stock recovery and from there select install zip from sd card and select the file you put on your sd card.

You have to try odin files. You cannot flash another rom unless you wipe all data via the clockwork recovery because the issues you are having are from corrupt data. Simply doing a factory reset via recovery or the settings menu will only increase your problems.
    01-16-2012 08:49 PM
    ETA: As the return to stock method didn't work for me (serious pain in the *** with the download procedure - wants to install iLivid and further nonsense),
    There are 8 mirrors for that file. I just downloaded the other day. Click on the link, enter the captcha, and download away, pretty standard stuff. I have no idea what iLivid is, have never been asked to install that. Perhaps you clicked on one of the advertisements that makes itself look like the download link?
    01-16-2012 11:29 PM
    I would follow the steps in this thread: [ODIN][STOCK][TAR] SPH-D710.EG30_CL435734 (EG30 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Factory Restore) - xda-developers

It will give you stock EG30, make sure you use the one that says "Reset user data"

Once that has successfully flashed and booted, I would then go into settings> about phone > system updates and update firmware/android which should give you stock EK02( which is the official sprint release). This should get rid of the yellow triangle.

If the settings update doesn't work then use this part of the thread near the top: "It WILL allow you to successfully install the official Sprint EK02 OTA update (manual d/l using ext-SD and Stock Recovery is quicker). " Just download the hyper linked file and put it on your internal sd card, turn the phone off. Then power on holding power and the volume down button. This will bring you to the stock recovery and from there select install zip from sd card and select the file you put on your sd card.

You have to try odin files. You cannot flash another rom unless you wipe all data via the clockwork recovery because the issues you are having are from corrupt data. Simply doing a factory reset via recovery or the settings menu will only increase your problems.
    Thanks for your reply. I've tried the above, followed every step in the thread, but ODIN won't show yellow COM port in the 2nd column when my phone is connected to my PC. I've done everything right and am eager to move forward, but the phone isn't showing.

Have I missed something? Please advise. Thanks.
    01-17-2012 07:05 AM
    Thanks for your reply. I've tried the above, followed every step in the thread, but ODIN won't show yellow COM port in the 2nd column when my phone is connected to my PC. I've done everything right and am eager to move forward, but the phone isn't showing.

Have I missed something? Please advise. Thanks.
    Is your phone booting into "download" mode? Do you have the USB drivers installed? If so, unplug/plug-in the cable twice just to make sure is has a chance to register. If that doesn't work, try a different cable.
    01-17-2012 09:19 AM
    If Odin won't show up a valid COM port (be advised, everyone's COM port may be different) then that means either the drivers for the phone are not installed and recognized by the computer (step 1 in the link) , you haven't entered download mode (power phone off completely, wait 30 seconds , pull battery, put battery back in, HOLD volume down and HOLD power until confirmation, then press Volume UP (that's how I've done it)) , or you have a faulty USB port or a faulty micro-USB cord. Trust me, these last two may not seem possible but they happened to me on 2 different occasions. One of the ports on my net book for some reason did not give e ought power thus essentially corrupting my connection, and my desktop didn't recognize my phone because the USB cord had bent at some connection and wasn't working.

Suggestions: if you have verified that your Samsung USB drivers are installed nd have verified that the is an android with a shovel in "download mode" on your phone (it actually might just be a yellow exclamation sign, I forget) then check your ports or use another plug and another USB port. This should most definitely work.

After doing all that and it still doesn't work - try ODIN and USB Samsung drivers on another computer. Plug your phone in normally with it on first after installing the drivers. Wait for the computer to recognize the phone and let everything set up before going into Odin and download mode. Let us know how far you get.
    01-17-2012 09:21 AM
    Hi everyone. First of all, let me thank you, each of you, for the careful and detailed help you've offered me. I've finally managed to factory reset it with the indicated link you posted. The yellow triangle is gone, the phone is apparently in perfect working order, and I'm in the process of setting it back up again. The problem with the phone not showing in ODIN was indeed a driver issue.

I'd like to be able to use my phone as a tether. I know for that I'd have to have it rooted. Could you guys please advise as to the most effective way to get this done? Also, I was curious about the Ice Cream Sandwich version. Is it an option to set my phone up with ICS at this point? If so, please advise on how to go about arranging this? Thanks again.
    01-17-2012 05:36 PM
    First thing awesome job, I know how difficult/stressful/PITA these processes can be.

To root follow the steps posted here [ROOT][NCIQ][EG30/EG31/EK02] Auto root your existing stock ROM (w/o ODIN/ROM Flash) - xda-developers

-Then make sure you check out reference C and pick a kernel with CWM, it actually doesn't matter which one.

Now that you have root and CWM you can install a rom.
    -I recommend this [ ROM ] Calkulin's E4GT v2.8.1 [ EL29 l Fast l Tweaked l Battery Saver Script ] - xda-developers or this [ROM][EL13 2.3.6] UnNamed v2.0.1 - (12/15/2011) - xda-developers because they are the most stable and user friendly. Calkulin's rom is also very well supported with themes.
    -Also of note both of these will flash a different kernel than the one you flashed previously in the reference C section. This really isn't a big deal, I usually try to keep my kernel and rom version the same but it does not make a difference, just a preference of my own.

Or if you want to stay on the official sprint version EK02 during the reference C portion select the EK02 + CWM kernel then flash this [ACS][Mod][EK02][EL13][EL26][Deodex][Odex]Hotspot Mod Now With 4G! - xda-developers
    -This will give you the tether ability and retain an almost completely stock set up.
    -If you stay on a completely stock EK02 setup make sure you flash the odexed version

Using the sprint hotspot app will work on all three set ups and should satisfy your requirements.

Remember to make your backups before flashing anything!

Good luck, ill be on here all night if you need help.

**One last thing in the CWM recovery use the volume keys to move the selection, the home key to select, and the power button to back up. If you are on the ACS recovery or the team rogue it is volume keys to move, power to select and back button to back up.

**Oh and there is no ICS rom available right now. From the sounds of it, probably won't be for a while. (Ultimately we need a leak)
    syphex likes this.
    01-17-2012 05:52 PM
    Now I'm having problems with the network. Very often the phone seems to have no internet connection, it tells me it's trying to connect, etc. Why has this happened? This wasn't happening before. Please tell me how to remedy this problem. Thanks.
    01-19-2012 03:38 AM
    Now I'm having problems with the network. Very often the phone seems to have no internet connection, it tells me it's trying to connect, etc. Why has this happened? This wasn't happening before. Please tell me how to remedy this problem. Thanks.
    I'm going to need more information. What step were you at? Did you install a custom rom, if so which? Is it the 3g connection or is it the wifi?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    01-19-2012 05:34 AM
    Hi Stretch. Well, it seems I got rid of the culprit application that was causing that network error message. However, while it's pretty much set up the way I like it, my phone has GPS problems. It cannot get a fix on a satellite. No, I have not rooted it. I haven't done anything after resetting it to stock condition. That's all I've done. I'd still really like to be able to use it as a tether. What should I do next?
    01-22-2012 01:46 AM
    Hi Stretch. Well, it seems I got rid of the culprit application that was causing that network error message. However, while it's pretty much set up the way I like it, my phone has GPS problems. It cannot get a fix on a satellite. No, I have not rooted it. I haven't done anything after resetting it to stock condition. That's all I've done. I'd still really like to be able to use it as a tether. What should I do next?
    Have you tried the steps i posted earlier?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    01-22-2012 05:03 PM
    Do I need to root it before using it as a tether? I've been away for a while, haven't focused on the phone issues in a couple of days. However, I'm ready now. I think I'll check out your link, see about rooting the device that way. If I hit any snags, I'll post here for further advice. You've been really helpful to date, I appreciate it. Anyway, here I go.
    01-29-2012 01:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD