clean esn????

sparkeater79

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
What is the deal with the esn? Is my esn restricted to my account and number until my contract is up? Or does one neeed to call and say it was stolen or whatever? I was just curious. Already thinking my next phone purchase and dont know if i can wait until september 13. Even though i absolutely love my e4gt.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Your ESN is tied to your phone. Your phone is related to your account. If you report it lost or stolen that ESN will be blacklisted and will not able to be related to any other account. You can certainly sell your phone, privately, before your contract is up and replace it with a different phone, but you will have to buy one privately or pay full retail price for the phone (not upgrade price unless your you've had your phone for a year - then you will get $75 off retail. You have to wait 22 months for full upgrade pricing).

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
If you try to sell the phone at any point, the buyer will likely ask if the ESN is clean. If you have the phone activated on Sprint, then obviously the ESN is clean since Sprint is allowing it to be used on the network. in Mikey's example if your phone was reported stolen, the ESN would not be allowed to be activated on Sprint.

I'm such a fan of this phone, I'm not even thinking about my next phone purchase. LTE sounds nice, but I'm willing to wait until the "better" bunch of LTE phones come out. I loved the Evo 4G but it wasn't a real 4G phone since you couldn't REALLY use 4G without killing the battery. I'm leaning towards that second generation of LTE phones.

kingsway8605

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
You don't own your phone. Sprint/Verizon will blacklist your phone if you don't pay. It is one of the advantages of gsm (att and Tmobile), the carrier controls the simcard, not the phone itself.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
With Sprint or Verizon you absolutely own your phone. From Day 1 of a purchase, even if that phone is subsidized, I own the phone. I can turn around and sell it to someone, and reactivate my old phone.

Any carrier is not going to be happy if you don't pay. They will deactivate your SIM or deactivate your ESN on their network.

At the end of the day an ESN is just a SIM carried that is buried in your phone that can't be taken out.

Reactions: ladyc0524

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If you are happy with the device the no need to worry. There is always going to be the next big thing out.

If you must have the new thing buy off contract. It's expensive, but you can start saving now and supplement by selling the Epic Touch.

Technology moves so fast. I can't fathom what devices will be out in two years.

kingsway8605

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
With Sprint or Verizon you absolutely own your phone. From Day 1 of a purchase, even if that phone is subsidized, I own the phone. I can turn around and sell it to someone, and reactivate my old phone.

Any carrier is not going to be happy if you don't pay. They will deactivate your SIM or deactivate your ESN on their network.

At the end of the day an ESN is just a SIM carried that is buried in your phone that can't be taken out.

You are wrong, on cdma you cannot sell your phone until the phone is replaced with another phone, or until all your fees, including the 300 etf fee, is paid. With gsm, none of that matters. You just pop in a new Sim and all is good. When you hear the word "bad esn" that is usually what it means.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
You are wrong, on cdma you cannot sell your phone until the phone is replaced with another phone, or until all your fees, including the 300 etf fee, is paid. With gsm, none of that matters. You just pop in a new Sim and all is good. When you hear the word "bad esn" that is usually what it means.

Kingsway8605, that is incorrect. I've sold multiple phones that I had. I had a BB Curve years ago that I sold because I wanted to get something new. I replaced the phone on my account with an old phone I had laying around until I bought the replacement. Didn't pay any additional fees,a nd certainly no ETF because I didn't cancel the contract.

Additionally I sold a HTC PPC 6700. After I shattered the screen for the second time, resulting in no longer being insured by the insurance company I NEEDED to sell the phone. I sold it on eBay and the same day I put it in the mail I went out and bought a replacement at full retail. Again, NO fees, NO ETF, and NO issues with Sprint.

A "BAD" ESN only refers to phones that have been blacklisted as it has been discussed earlier.

kingsway8605

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Kingsway8605, that is incorrect. I've sold multiple phones that I had. I had a BB Curve years ago that I sold because I wanted to get something new. I replaced the phone on my account with an old phone I had laying around until I bought the replacement. Didn't pay any additional fees,a nd certainly no ETF because I didn't cancel the contract.

Additionally I sold a HTC PPC 6700. After I shattered the screen for the second time, resulting in no longer being insured by the insurance company I NEEDED to sell the phone. I sold it on eBay and the same day I put it in the mail I went out and bought a replacement at full retail. Again, NO fees, NO ETF, and NO issues with Sprint.

A "BAD" ESN only refers to phones that have been blacklisted as it has been discussed earlier.

Facepalm, please just read....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance