Samsung Epic 4g touch from SPRINT

slowride66

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Hey howdy HI hows it going .

I am A nOOb to Android my last smart phone was a Palm Treo 650 so I feel as if I went thru a Star Trek Transporter.

Now I searched & did not find a thread that had to do exactly with this subject .
ANY WAY!

I really like the Android its nice & simple but after biting the bait I learn SPRINT has some restrictions like Tethering {new term for me} used to be a hot sync {sort of}

So I really want / need to make a all in one place for me to learn & anyone else to share.

OK I am GREEN! go ahead make you punny jokes feel better?

Where can I get a translation to all the new terms I spend too much time stopping & googling them.

I also want you all to step up & make a Pro's & Con's list for

the QUESTION ;

To ROOT or not to ROOT! because SPRINT will do it for you I guess for about $40 MORE A MONTH!!!!!! sort of.

RANT RANT RANT!!!!!!

SO People treat me as if I been in a cave & have never seen a cell phone or contemplated the thought of a Smart phone & try to Educate us up.

Please that is.

I hope to learn a lot here thanks for your help!

Slowride66

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Well to start off....

Hot sync on the Treo is nothing like tethering. Tethering is another term for hotspot if you will. What it does is use your phone as a gateway to the internet for other devices. Say you have a tablet that's wifi only (no 3G, 4G, etc.) but has tethering capabilities and you really need to connect that tablet to the internet, you can tether that tablet to your phone and surf the web via 3G/4G using wifi on the tab. There is a data cap tethering though and overages are pretty steep.

I know at one time, rooting gave you free tethering capabilities via an app in the market but not sure now as I don't root. But bear in mind though, every update breaks root and you will have to wait for the devs to conjure up a new root method before you can tether again. Again, I'm not sure if the app is still available for root users as I don't root.

As far as learning Android, you're going to have to read, read, read,....break, then read some more. Sorry though, we don't hyraglyph on mud tablets here, so if you need hard copies, you're going to have to print it out....that's if you have electricity in that cave..er...home you live in! Anywho, there is too much to type to help you learn but by reading the articles and forums, you can get a basic understanding and if you need help on a particular subject or to just ask a question don't hesitate to ask as we are here to help you if we can!

Good luck to you and you new E4GT!!

Reactions: slowride66

porpherion

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android! For an explanation of terms that my confuse you, AndroidCentral has an Android dictionary located here:

Android Dictionary

And as Gator said, tethering and hot sync are nothing alike. But there are still tethering options available for root without the extra 30 dollars, as long as you root your phone.

Other than that, to quote gator again, read, read, read. Search for threads that deals with things you might need and see what others have to say. Browse the Rooting subforum for information on the more techy stuff with your phone. And always, feel free to ask if you can't find a thread on something.

cjones

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
My GS2 is rooted but I have not been able to find a way to get wireless tether to work yet. Really the only small hiccup with this wonderful phone.

porpherion

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Most custom ROMs come with the hotspot unlocked, and some even have a 4g hack built in for 4g wireless tethering. Other than that there is a hack posted on XDA with a flashable zip to unlock the hotspot.

Foulwx

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I came from a Blackberry last October. There is a wealth of information here and also on the XDA forums. Here is a link to the E4GT forum there:

Samsung Epic 4G Touch - xda-developers

Only post your questions in the Q&A section. They are sticklers for that. There is an excellent set of tools by sfhub on the first post of the Android Development section (and also here in the rooting section). It will easily help you root and add ClockwordMod recovery to your phone. You will also find the 4G hotspot mod in that section. The actual developers frequent that forum. Where you go from there is up to you.... have fun!

lilotimz

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a custom rom that has the hotspot hack installed on my GS2... one of the better ones and you can find it in the XDA forums for the E4GT.

Name starts with a C and its version 2.8.1 EL29 based.

But yes... read...read.. and read some more. It helps!

slowride66

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Thank all of you so far I have.

Yes read read read I agree then do do do & read read read.

Thanks for the Dictionary I read read read it once so far.:p

prett cool stuff amazing actualy by kinda busy & not have time to play with stuff but its on my lists.

I will post more as I learn more

Thanks So VERY much

SR66:)

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the Android world Slowride. I too came from PalmOS/webOS.

Milo's stickys are a wealth of information. Hopefully you've read these:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/31622-getting-started-android-tips-tricks.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/33254-palm-webos-homebrewers-guide-android.html

There are a lot of videos that will also walk you through a lot of things also.

Before answering if you should root or not, I'd ask why do you want to? Just for the tethering? As others have stated, tethering is not the same as Palm's hotsync. I do not remember the Treo 650 having tethering capabilities (though it may have - it's been a long long time since I used one). But if you do want to connect your laptop or tablet or whatever, there are plenty of apps in the Market that will help you out.

Lots of folks here are very helpful. Good luck.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers