Un-Root before Switching Phones?

bobvanjr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I recently rooted my ET4G primarily to get free wifi tethering. That was a bust as none of the apps I have tried have allowed it to work. I am running stock.

I had an EVO that went to the wife. Because I have a few upgrades to use (I have even considered just paying full price to save an upgrade) I have decided to get another ET4G for the wife and replace my daughters Pre with the EVO. I think I will get it in white and I don't think the wife will like it. If she doesn't I will keep it for me and she can have my black one.

what I'm wondering is if I will need to un-root mine to swap it to her line if we end up going that direction.

I know the Nexus is coming but I'm honestly not too thrilled with it. I'll have to wait and see one in person. If only it had an SD card!!! What I really want is a Galaxy Note. Please Sprint! I beg you! As it stands now I have two upgrades and one coming up in Feb so if I burn one now for the ET4G I still have 2 more to last me a while just in case something sweet comes along.

Do you think I should buy it off contract at full retail and save all 3 upgrades? After activation it's only $250 more and if you spread that out over 2 years it isn't that big of deal.

Anyways, what to do about root?

Triple Threat

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
No you won't have to unroot. Once the swap is complete, do a factory reset, and the go

menu >> settings >> about phone >> system updates >> update profile. This should get the phone to grab your wife's number

If the phone refuses to grab the new number (rare but I have seen it) you will need the MSL and to get into the ##menu to wipe the programming info and start from scratch. Again, no unroot needed here either. PM me if you get to the point of needing the MSL and/or help with the ##menus

Reactions: TPCSnoopy

bobvanjr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I think I will just swap them and see what happens. I just bought a new one at full retail and I want to activate it on my line. I was going to swap her evo with my "old" SII. Then I'm going to replace my daughters pre with the evo. I just want it to go smooth.

Get this, the wife is unhappy and doesn't want to switch. She just went to my evo when I got the SII in September. It's too much switching, blah, blah. Who in the world wouldn't want am SII?

The main reason I did it is for battery life. I easily make it through a day with the SII and the evo barely made it to lunch. Also, we may someday get ICS.

The daughters pre is horrible and I figure if we're paying through the nose we may as well have phones that can make the most of it.

Anyways, my wife is really mad that I bought it and it's very frustrating.

Maybe I'll just switch her back to a pre and get her thinking clearly again.

I'm still unsure about whether to unroot or not. I don't have any apps dependent on root so no biggie there.

Btw, I went in to get the white one but was unimpressed. It looked cheap with the silver accents. I wish they had gone ALL white or something.

Thanks for the help. I will pm you if necessary.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781