02-04-2012 09:51 PM
71 123
tools
    The reason the boot animation change is because you are now on a stock repacked kernel that does not support boot animations. Not a big deal.

Do NOT format! Unless specifically given directions to do it.

No need for a factory reset yet. Have you tried installing the market.apk?? WHat about just reflashing SFhubs package again?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    No, I would not format that emmc, I don't know what the heck it is anyway. I tend to be careful and not to to crazy. LOL!

I did try installing the option M and that still gave me root but no CWM, it was back the way it was, so I guess that is stock.

So I will of course put it back. And it's good to play with this, it helps build up my confidence in doing this stuff. At a certain point, I will feel that I can offer some help to users. I do like what we had on PreCentral, it was a very active group of users. I was a little surprised by how quiet it was over here on Android Central, but things seem to have picked up a bit. I know a lot of WebOS users are now here now.

Alright, back to the Market issue:

Where do I find the market.apk? I was trying to do that. I only removed it and did a restore from backup, which just might have put back the bad data.

I don't know what you are talking about when you say flashing the SFhubs package.

Can you tell me where to find the Market.apk and what this flashing SFhubs thing is?

I'll try and not get so trigger happy about going to a factory reset. The only thing good about a factory reset, is that it cleans out crap that gets leftover over time.

Rob
    02-04-2012 01:52 PM
    Oh, the SFHubs package is the upgrade package that I used to get from EL02 to EL29. I tried that already. I can try it one more time.

Rob
    02-04-2012 02:00 PM
    No, I would not format that emmc, I don't know what the heck it is anyway. I tend to be careful and not to to crazy. LOL!

I did try installing the option M and that still gave me root but no CWM, it was back the way it was, so I guess that is stock.

So I will of course put it back. And it's good to play with this, it helps build up my confidence in doing this stuff. At a certain point, I will feel that I can offer some help to users. I do like what we had on PreCentral, it was a very active group of users. I was a little surprised by how quiet it was over here on Android Central, but things seem to have picked up a bit. I know a lot of WebOS users are now here now.

Alright, back to the Market issue:

Where do I find the market.apk? I was trying to do that. I only removed it and did a restore from backup, which just might have put back the bad data.

I don't know what you are talking about when you say flashing the SFhubs package.

Can you tell me where to find the Market.apk and what this flashing SFhubs thing is?

I'll try and not get so trigger happy about going to a factory reset. The only thing good about a factory reset, is that it cleans out crap that gets leftover over time.

Rob
    Option M is the completely stock EL29 kernel.

As for the community thing it varies. When I had the original epic, the phone was not as popular as the touch, yet the community was mouch more active. I think that says a lot about the phone though, were as the old epic a lot of people were disatisfied with it and came to forums like this to get help. But I think the majority of Epic 4g Touch users (the non-geeks) are 100% satisfied with their phones.

Google search android market apk 3.4.4 and download the apk file put it on your sdcard and open up a file manager. Then install.

If that doesn't work, just reflash the odin package, built by Sfhub, that gave you EL29 without wiping your data.

02-04-2012 02:04 PM
    Option M is the completely stock EL29 kernel.

Google search android market apk 3.4.4 and download the apk file put it on your sdcard and open up a file manager. Then install.

If that doesn't work, just reflash the odin package, built by Sfhub, that gave you EL29 without wiping your data.

Ok, I'm trying to download the Market apk. I will try the SFhub once again.

But I did something again.. Whoops! I hit a key, while looking at options.

Anyway, I noticed in the restore option in CWM, that you can restore the boot, the system, or just the data.

That's interesting, it looks like you can pick what part of the backup you want to restore in the advanced mode.

So here is a question when thinking about my market issue, could I be selective and restore maybe just the data? Is that were the Market problem is coming from. Or is it coming from the System?

Now what happened, I went back to look at the regular backup, not the advanced options. And it looked like the only option is to restore a particular dated backup file. No other options, like you get in the Advanced Restore area, which makes perfect sense.

I guess in the regular Restore, I am assuming it restores everything.

While looking at the dates, I hit the select key, heck, my hand is always over that power button, I'm left handed.

So now it's doing a restore from December. So that would get me back to EL02, if things go correctly. I was not going to pull the battery because of the mistake, I didn't want to take a chance of really getting things corrupted. So it's almost done now. Yes, it does restore everything... I just looked at the phone's screen and it's saying:

Erasing boot before restore...
    Restored Boot image..
    Restoring System...
    Restoring Data.....
    Restoring .android_secure...
    Restoring cache....

Restore complete!

Well that does that. I've learned how to do a restore using CWM.

Now let's see what happens when I reboot...
    02-04-2012 02:19 PM
    Wow, I did the restore and the Market thing is still messed up? What the ....!

But the rom is still saying EL29 after the restore, I used a backup from before I did the upgrade?

The phone popped up with a message asking if I wanted to upgrade to EL29 but when I go into the Applications and look at the About Phone, it's saying it's on EL29?

I'm running the SFHub EL29 package again, it's now doing a restore EL29.

After that is done, I will try to delete the Market app and install the Market.apk that I just finished downloading.

Rob
    02-04-2012 02:23 PM
    Wow, I did the restore and the Market thing is still messed up? What the ....!

But the rom is still saying EL29 after the restore, I used a backup from before I did the upgrade?

The phone popped up with a message asking if I wanted to upgrade to EL29 but when I go into the Applications and look at the About Phone, it's saying it's on EL29?

I'm running the SFHub EL29 package again, it's now doing a restore EL29.

After that is done, I will try to delete the Market app and install the Market.apk that I just finished downloading.

Rob
    Are you sure you are reading the correct place? Baseband version will always stay the same unless you odin a "modem" package. Build Number will show the version of the rom you are on and that is where we want it to say EL29.

Check the market before you unistall and install the other. In fact you shouldn't even need to delete the market app it should install right over it.

Also are you 100% sure you are talking about the android market? Can you describe your issues with the market a little more clear?

02-04-2012 02:41 PM

Also are you 100% sure you are talking about the android market? Can you describe your issues with the market a little more clear?

Mmmm.... I was thinking last night that I should post a screen shot of what I'm getting and then you will know exactly the issue.

I have to remember how to do the screen shot, I'll figure it out and get back to you with the screen shot to help you know what my problem is.

Rob
    dtm_stretch likes this.
    02-04-2012 03:04 PM
    Here is the screen shot!

Rob sent this from his SPH-D710 via Tapatalk
    02-04-2012 03:12 PM
    Here is the screen shot!

Click to view quoted image

Rob sent this from his SPH-D710 via Tapatalk
    Oh how strange! I have never seen this. Honestly, I hate to do this but unless someone jumps in here, I think you should ask how to fix this in a post on xda in the epic 4g touch q&a section. More people frequent there and might have seen this before.

I am guessing none of our attempts fixed it?

02-04-2012 03:50 PM
    Oh how strange! I have never seen this. Honestly, I hate to do this but unless someone jumps in here, I think you should ask how to fix this in a post on xda in the epic 4g touch q&a section. More people frequent there and might have seen this before.

I am guessing none of our attempts fixed it?

Yeah, I've already done that. And I did try all the suggestions from everyone there and here.

None of them worked. I did say that clearing the Framework did work but as soon as I download a file from the Market, it went back to that.

I guess I should just bit the bullet and do a factory reset.

So my only question is, can I just do the normal factory reset now with the EL29 and the CWM installed?

Or do I have to some special thing at this point?

Thanks!

Rob
    02-04-2012 03:56 PM
    Yeah, I've already done that. And I did try all the suggestions from everyone there and here.

None of them worked. I did say that clearing the Framework did work but as soon as I download a file from the Market, it went back to that.

I guess I should just bit the bullet and do a factory reset.

So my only question is, can I just do the normal factory reset now with the EL29 and the CWM installed?

Or do I have to some special thing at this point?

Thanks!

Rob
    Don't use the factory reset via the settings, it will just cause you headaches. Where you downloaded the EL29 package that preserved your data, just download the package that will wipe your data and use that with odin.

Make sure to backup your apps that way you can easily restore them after flashing the wipe package. Just make sure not to backup and system/system settings/ or system apps with titanium back up just your user apps.

02-04-2012 05:07 PM
    Don't use the factory reset via the settings, it will just cause you headaches. Where you downloaded the EL29 package that preserved your data, just download the package that will wipe your data and use that with odin.

Make sure to backup your apps that way you can easily restore them after flashing the wipe package. Just make sure not to backup and system/system settings/ or system apps with titanium back up just your user apps.

OK, but I wanted to do a full wipe with a format, or is that not possible?

I have the external card in, should I remove that, so then I don't wipe that card accidentally?

Rob
    02-04-2012 06:52 PM
    OK, but I wanted to do a full wipe with a format, or is that not possible?

I have the external card in, should I remove that, so then I don't wipe that card accidentally?

Rob
    No need to format, it will be done through that package. It is a whole new system image.
    It won't hurt to take out the sd card, I haven't heard of cards being wiped but I guess you can never be to cautious.
    02-04-2012 07:06 PM
    Ok, here we go! Wish me luck! I decided I had to do this, things just seemed a little off.

Rob
    02-04-2012 07:09 PM
    Ok, here we go! Wish me luck! I decided I had to do this, things just seemed a little off.

Rob
    If things feel off like that, I will usually do the same thing and start fresh.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    02-04-2012 07:51 PM
    I'm back and guess what... it did NOT solve the problem!!!!!!

So I guess this issue need to be addressed by Google themselves.

If not I will take the phone to Sprint!

All that work for ... anyway I'm more confident to do stuff now.

Thanks for you hard work!

Rob
    dtm_stretch likes this.
    02-04-2012 08:15 PM
    I'm back and guess what... it did NOT solve the problem!!!!!!

So I guess this issue need to be addressed by Google themselves.

If not I will take the phone to Sprint!

All that work for ... anyway I'm more confident to do stuff now.

Thanks for you hard work!

Rob
    I did find this information, check out the last post:

http://www.mydroidworld.com/topic/95...-my-apps-list/

This might be an issue with titanium back up or your google account. The means by which it says to fix it sounds pretty difficult though.

02-04-2012 08:33 PM
    Well, it looks like I should have called Google to begin with. It's a known issue! But there is no quick fix. They sent my issue up to level 2 support and they will get back to me in a few days!

Great! I spent all this time and it's a known issue!

Thanks again for taking all this time with me all day. You gave all your time for a matter that Google has known about! I'm so sorry to have put you through this.

My apologizes!

Rob
    02-04-2012 08:35 PM
    Wow, I was correct, it was Titanium Backup's Pro version with the Market Doctor that corrupted the account!

What's interesting, is that no one ever called Titanium to report the bug. Now that it's documented, I will try and call them when they are opened (tomorrow is Sunday) and scream at them for corrupting my phone. That app is supposed to be the best! For this to be caused by a backup program is unforgivable!

But from reading the messages, I see that Google won't be calling me back in a few days, but just ignore the issue!

Great!

Let's see how much time I can devote to this in the next few days, I'm going to be busy with other stuff.

Let's face it, we spent the entire day on this.

Thanks for the link, that was a good find! BTW, I did post a message over at XDA with the picture.

Oh, yeah, I decided because of all the work to get my phone back. I'm going to do a restore from the backup I have. This way I can have my phone back fast and then wait until I have either the time to try out that suggestion from the link or wait for Google. I can always go back to a factory reset!

Rob
    02-04-2012 09:03 PM
    Wow, I was correct, it was Titanium Backup's Pro version with the Market Doctor that corrupted the account!

What's interesting, is that no one ever called Titanium to report the bug. Now that it's documented, I will try and call them when they are opened (tomorrow is Sunday) and scream at them for corrupting my phone. That app is supposed to be the best! For this to be caused by a backup program is unforgivable!

But from reading the messages, I see that Google won't be calling me back in a few days, but just ignore the issue!

Great!

Let's see how much time I can devote to this in the next few days, I'm going to be busy with other stuff.

Let's face it, we spent the entire day on this.

Thanks for the link, that was a good find! BTW, I did post a message over at XDA with the picture.

Oh, yeah, I decided because of all the work to get my phone back. I'm going to do a restore from the backup I have. This way I can have my phone back fast and then wait until I have either the time to try out that suggestion from the link or wait for Google. I can always go back to a factory reset!

Rob
    I was just thinking I would do the same thing and just restore my back up. This is why I use my backup pro instead of titanium, titanium always seemed to give me issues.
    02-04-2012 09:07 PM
    I was just thinking I would do the same thing and just restore my back up. This is why I use my backup pro instead of titanium, titanium always seemed to give me issues.
    As I said, I have both!

However, with My Backup Pro, there is a problem for me. It's always crashing. I have yet to contact them and ask them what the issue is.

And the other reason for liking Titanium is that there is a 'batch' mode that has all the per-defined batches which makes it easy to do certain tasks. Have you look at those batch mode settings ever?

I just finished sending Titanium a rather vocal support request message. I had told them since their product caused the problem, it was their responsibility to fix the issue ASAP. The seem to have known about some issues from their Knowledge base, but I'm not sure if they understand what it really caused because their solution would not even come close to fixing the issue.

I'm doing a restore now. Let's see how that goes, if not, then I will spend time getting My Backup Pro to work for the future.

Wow, it's 11pm, I have to start to get ready for bed, and I need to tuck the dog in his bed and kiss him on the head and maybe read him a story! LOL!

Rob
    02-04-2012 09:51 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD