GPS issue, satellites in view but not in use!!

urbrainwashd

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I use Google+ with location on and FourSquare often and i have noticed a difference as well. Seems locking on my location AFTER the latest OTA is either taking longer or not happening correctly.
Yesterday i tried to check in at Blockbuster and it was a no go.
I had to power off my device and back on for it to lock on my location and update properly.

Why would you check yourself in at blockbuster? Lol

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
My GPS sucked before and after the update.

Sometimes it works fine. Other times it won't lock. The annoying thing is that when it won't lock, it doesn't seem to use the towers to find my location (I have that on in settings).

Opening GPS test usually helps, but sometimes that takes a while to lock and that shouldn't be necessary.

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
This is before the ICS update, but I'll add I downloaded maps for Europe and it was not able to lock at all unless I was connected to wifi. It should not need a data connection for GPS lock.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Get on WiFI. Download GPS Test.
Run App. Open Settings, Press Clear AGPS. wait a few seconds, then press Update AGPS. Close the app. Then re-open the app and see if GPS works.
When you Clear and UPdate AGPS, make sure your still on WiFI.

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Get on WiFI. Download GPS Test.
Run App. Open Settings, Press Clear AGPS. wait a few seconds, then press Update AGPS. Close the app. Then re-open the app and see if GPS works.
When you Clear and UPdate AGPS, make sure your still on WiFI.

I ran GPS test a million times and it still didn't work. I updated the AGPS many times. I didn't get a lock once without being connected to wifi, which made GPS useless. Very disappointing being on vacation and not being able to use GPS/maps.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
With out a data source maps is pointless anyway. So unless you loaded the entire map set for the location your in getting a GPS lock is usless.

Flash a different modem.. Thats what solved my problems when i had the GS2 Touch

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
With out a data source maps is pointless anyway. So unless you loaded the entire map set for the location your in getting a GPS lock is usless.

Flash a different modem.. Thats what solved my problems when i had the GS2 Touch

1) I pre-cached the maps or of course it wouldn't work.
2) I tried a different modem on my last ROM (stock) and that didn't help.

How do you figure out what modem to use?? If my GPS works and my phone doesn't, that isn't ideal.

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
This thread is old, but just to give a point of comparison, in my house, my E4GT struggled to get a GPS lock. Evne in an open area, it would maybe get 6-- satellites in view. I got a Nexus 4 and even IN my house, It sees over 20 satellites! It is like night and day. BTW, I had the E4GT replaced due to the GPS once and still had the same problem with the new one. The Nexus 4 locks within 5 seconds every time I have tried it.

It is a relief when lost being able to open Navigation or maps and not hope that it might be able to help me in a few minutes.

johnsandiego

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Tighten the little Phillips screws inside the phone! Take out the battery so the phone does a cold start and your gps is back to normal. You should see signals peak at 35 to 43 using gps test app outside.

Tsukiyomi

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
GB27 seems to fix this for everyone so far.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

I've just put GB27 rooted on (previously on GA10) and have actually lost my GPS lock, even with Faster Fix and GPS Test.

EDIT: I take that back. I WAS getting a lock indoors at home on GA10. Not getting that now but it's locking fine outside. I can live with that.

Last edited: