My phone just updated to EL29!!

nathy321

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I did a battery pull this morning n as soon as the phone turned on it told me there was an update available, it took about 5 mins, everything working great so far, don't really notice anything different yet but I'm at work an haven't really played with it, but just wanted to let u guys know its rolling out

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if this okay to update if you used the autoroot from xda?

As long as you didn't remove any stock apps or make any framework/kernel changes you will be fine. You will also lose root.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I am guessing it's the same deal as with the last update, you can't check for it, it just arrives on your phone eventually, right?

syphex

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I am guessing it's the same deal as with the last update, you can't check for it, it just arrives on your phone eventually, right?

They are only doing the update in batches. Acording to the front page of AC it should hit all phones over the next 10 days.

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Does it mean you pulled the battery with the device on, or turned it off first?? I understand it may have nothing to do with update arriving at your headset, it arrives when it arrives, but I have read far too many people saying a pull got them the update upon turning the device on. So just want to know how are you doing it?

I did a battery pull this morning n as soon as the phone turned on it told me there was an update available, it took about 5 mins, everything working great so far, don't really notice anything different yet but I'm at work an haven't really played with it, but just wanted to let u guys know its rolling out

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
when I powered my phone up this morning, it showed an update was available, I ok'd the update and sat the phone down while I got some coffee for my wife and I, when I came back and picked the phone up it had a message on the screen "firmware update not available" so not sure if the phone updated or not, I see nothing different so.........

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
got the update didn't notice any big.... Sure ciq is gone.... But that's bout it

I dunno, CIQ being gone is pretty big in my book. Privacy aside, it's one less process running in the background chewing up your battery.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

ggt

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I just did the battery pull trick to see if I would get the update, not sure if it was a coincidence or not, but as soon as I turned my phone back on, it began updating. It might be worth a shot if you can't wait for the push. Good luck.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok so what is the point of this update with ICS coming in the near future? What does it fix?

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G Touch

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I see no differences what so ever..........

Ok so what is the point of this update with ICS coming in the near future? What does it fix?

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G Touch

Just remember this is only a 0.0.2 version increase most of the changes will not be noticeable.

As JayWill posted earlier; the biggest change is the removal of CIQ. If you don't know what that is you should probably google it and educate yourself.

Here is the change log from sprint:

"Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - EL29

Enhancements/Fixes:
- Security update
- Dismissing multiple calendar alerts
- Commercial Alert System (CMAS) activated

Important Notes:
- Software version is: S:D710.0.5S.EL29
- Released in stages with 100% of devices having received the update within approximately 10 days
- Refer to the Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Updates for install instructions"

Unibrow

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
those that have the update, would you be so kind to check under settings to see if the wifi keeps scanning even when it has a wifi connection. Also would be curious if the app drawer bug is still present.

oversteer325

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
those that have the update, would you be so kind to check under settings to see if the wifi keeps scanning even when it has a wifi connection. Also would be curious if the app drawer bug is still present.

WIFI scans whenever the wifi settings menu is open. This is so you have the ability to manually connect to an alternate network. It is not a bug.