03-23-2012 08:19 AM
321 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Wow, this is seriously annoying... It feels like the browser (or myself) just got stupid... Please tell me there is some way to fix this...

Also, I'm not sure if it was mentioned yet, but it appears that this update also borks the network location updates... (So that apps like weather programs which update based solely on tower location don't work). I did find a fix for this over on XDA (by rolling back to and older version of google.android.location.apk), but this is some base functionality for them to screw up...

It seems like these updates are more to cover their legal behind than to actually fix stuff...
    Is this the fix you used for network location updates?

[Fix] Network Location Updates (Cell Towers) - xda-developers
    02-01-2012 10:25 AM
    So let me get this right, is this just an update to Gingerbread? This isn't ICS?
    02-01-2012 11:09 AM
    Is this the fix you used for network location updates?

[Fix] Network Location Updates (Cell Towers) - xda-developers
    Yup, that's it. If anyone uses any of the location based features of Tasker, this is a much needed fix after updating to E29.
    Sapient likes this.
    02-01-2012 11:54 AM
    So let me get this right, is this just an update to Gingerbread? This isn't ICS?
    Correct. This phone won't see official ICS for many months.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    02-01-2012 12:02 PM
    i notice now magenta works for the led notification! Nice little addition.
    02-01-2012 12:07 PM
    I've noticed an issue with brightness in the browser. Randomly, it disregards the manual setting and dims it to the lowest setting.
    02-01-2012 01:30 PM
    I went to my Sprint Repair Center and told them this update to EL29 broke my phone. I want my scrolling wallpapers back so that my live wallpapers work too. I also want my battery life back as this update screwed that up also and I have a 3800 mah extended battery! The repair center is ordering me another phone and will make sure EK02 is on it. If I get notice to upgrade I will make sure I don't and will never take another update from android, google, or sprint again!
    02-01-2012 04:03 PM
    Kipdurran Apple won't reimburse you for crap. I bought a live wallpaper from Android Market and can't get money back either. Like I said before, I am swapping this phone for one that has EL02 again and will never take another upgrade for this phone ever again. I also notice that the backlight sometimes dims by itself androidpirate. Google fouled us up this time, or spint, or android or ALL OF THEM and they consistently do this with their upgrades. Listen guys, if a phone isn't broken out of the box, DON'T FIX IT!
    02-01-2012 04:18 PM
    From what I can see, battery life is still excellent and WIFI and 3G seem to be faster than they were previously.

Could care less about the scrolling WP but I can see where it wouldn't be a nice thing to loose for those who used it.
    02-01-2012 04:29 PM
    To Dakilen and The Gator: I have seen the problem with apps installed in the market being "not installed" at bottom of my apps list. To correct it. I went to Settings>Applications>Market and then hit clear data. It solved the problem. Google work on a fix? Now that's a GOOD ONE. They will promise but you have to live with what you get. We were dumb enough to take this update when they didn't DISCLOSE all the update would add and TAKE AWAY. If I had known all it would take away I would have told them all to shove it. I am getting another phone and this one goes back. I pay for warranty each month. One of "their" upgrades destroyed (IMO) this phone. Android comes out with new phones more than any other company or platform, so they figure if this "new epic 4g touch" is screwed up, you will just shell out money YET AGAIN when a newer phone comes out.
    02-01-2012 04:34 PM
    Jfenton that's on your phone NOT on mine. No two have to be alike. Plenty are having my problems so I'm very HAPPY FOR YOU that you aren't. They ruined a $499 out of pocket phone for me. So laugh away.
    02-01-2012 04:35 PM
    sfhub can you put a rooted odin one click os back to EK02 here? I hate this EL29 as it took away too many features of a $499 out if pocket epic 4g touch. Please help?
    02-01-2012 04:40 PM
    Losing the wallpaper is minor compared to losing the ability to have locked vertical scrolling in the browser. That loss is unbelievable. That alone makes me wish I never updated. Does anyone know how to roll back the update? If I reset my phone will that do it?

I'm not sure that was an Apple patent. I had a palm pre before this phone and it scrolled vertically in a locked manner.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    02-01-2012 04:47 PM
    sfhub can you put a rooted odin one click os back to EK02 here? I hate this EL29 as it took away too many features of a $499 out if pocket epic 4g touch. Please help?
    Everything is available in my signature over at XDA, provided here for your convenience:

Auto Root/NCIQ [EG30/EG31/EK02] - ODIN [EG30/EK02/EL13/EL26/EL29] - CWM MDM [EG30/EG31/EK02/EL13/EL26/EL29] - OTA [EL29]

EG30 and EK02 are pure stock and not pre-rooted because they can be directly rooted using Option A of Auto Root. The reason EL13 and newer are pre-rooted is because that is the minimum I could change to allow root after they plugged the exploit used in Auto Root.

So after you flash the EK02 ODIN One-Click, just use the Auto Root package, Option A to root, then Option C to install EK02+CWM.

As always backup your stuff before flashing.
    IAmSixNine likes this.
    02-01-2012 04:54 PM
    Got the update this morning and I am having some issues. Problems connecting to the Market and Internet are driving me crazy. The phone was damn near perfect before the update.
    02-01-2012 04:55 PM
    I have had the update notification all day on phone....after reading everyones comments I dont think I'm gonna update,
    02-01-2012 07:12 PM
    well i like the update i haven't had any problems
    02-01-2012 07:18 PM
    sfhub already answered you, but to follow up, you CAN have EK02 on your current phone again right now if you follow his instructions (which are really well done by the way). I understand your anger, and yeah Samsung probably effed up in a few ways on this update (depending on your point of view), but the tools are out there to have whatever ROM base you want on this phone.

Good luck. If you don't want to deal with the replacement from Sprint I'd Odin stock EK02 and be done with it. It's quite painless if you follow the instructions carefully.
    02-01-2012 07:42 PM
    No problems so far after the update. Sorry for the guys that lost the scrolling wall paper (I was one), but I feel that my phone is more responsive to touch. No changes on battery life so far, but my screen brightness does not change that much as is used to. Browser is a little speedier than before. Have not tested the GPS so far. I love my SGII but I WANT ICS!!!
    02-01-2012 07:48 PM
    I got my update but wife and daughter still haven't go it. I like how the home screens go all the way around now and dont stop at the end, left or right. But i dont like the removal of scrolling wallpaper. I like new answer and hangup buttons.
    02-02-2012 12:20 AM
    any one else notice that the microbe stock live wallpaper is gone? this is my only real complaint about it because i would feed them when i got bored like a mini game.

any one know where i can find this to maybe re-install?
    02-02-2012 01:08 AM
    any one else notice that the microbe stock live wallpaper is gone? this is my only real complaint about it because i would feed them when i got bored like a mini game.

any one know where i can find this to maybe re-install?
    There's a link in a thread just below this one. I'd post it directly, but I'm on my phone right now.
    02-02-2012 01:21 AM
    02-02-2012 01:26 AM
    Lighten up pal....I wasn't laughing at anyone.

I was simply stating my observations on my particular hand set.

Take a deep breath....it's not worth over reacting and causing yourself stress.

Seriously now.
    02-02-2012 04:46 AM
    Having wallpaper that is not fixed and can be scrolled left and right through the home screens is a *basic* function of the Android O/S. Taking this feature out intentionally is a big mistake.

If Samsung doesn't reverse this, I'll switch back to a phone that handles Android wallpapers the proper and correct way. This is ridiculous.
    02-02-2012 05:14 AM
321 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD