03-23-2012 08:19 AM
321 ... 56789 ...
tools
    I'm ignoring the update for now.
    This is my third Android phone and they have all had scrolling wallpaper. I can understand if Samsung has to remove it from future, unreleased phones, but to give it and then take it away is serious bull. If enough of us complain to Samsung and Sprint, perhaps they will correct this in a future update. Besides, Samsung is rolling in profits right now, if a patent is the issue, surely they can afford to pay royalties to keep current consumers happy. Does anyone have good contacts for complaints to these companies? I don't want to waste my time writing the wrong people.
    02-02-2012 06:51 AM
    My issue: When using the web, it will time out and not connect. The same thing happens to the Market. I will sometimes get the Unable to Connect page.

Temporary Solution: The only way I have found to "fix" it is to not use WiFi. Switching it off seems to help it connect. Or I can use WiFi, but when it times out, I have to toggle WiFi off and then back on again. This works for a while and then I have to toggle it off and on again, because it will eventually time out.

I have know idea why this is happening, but it all started after the update.
    02-02-2012 07:34 AM
    My phone updated yesterday with no problem. I don't see that much difference other than the home screen changes (which are OK with me) and the new Phone icon. Having CIQ removed is a nice plus, but not a big deal to me. A boring but harmless update from my POV.
    02-02-2012 11:03 AM
    Having wallpaper that is not fixed and can be scrolled left and right through the home screens is a *basic* function of the Android O/S. Taking this feature out intentionally is a big mistake.

If Samsung doesn't reverse this, I'll switch back to a phone that handles Android wallpapers the proper and correct way. This is ridiculous.
    Really? Because of wallpaper? lmao
    02-02-2012 11:10 AM
    Now the little red round icon that shows the icon number of emails I have is cut off and not a complete circle.
    02-02-2012 11:42 AM
    Being I do not want to install the update is there any way to make the notification go away??
    02-02-2012 12:09 PM
    I really like the update. One big change I noticed is when I dock my phone in car. The phone used to put out a noticeable buzz through speakers when no music was present. The buzz came from power cord. After update the buzz is gone. Phone is faster, on all levels.
    02-02-2012 12:51 PM
    What is this thing about wallpaper scrolling? My wallpaper scrolling works from left to right or right to left among the home screen. I am Calk 2.8.1 which I believe is EL29 based. Is the stock EL29 wallpaper fixed in one place?
    02-02-2012 02:48 PM
    What is this thing about wallpaper scrolling? My wallpaper scrolling works from left to right or right to left among the home screen. I am Calk 2.8.1 which I believe is EL29 based. Is the stock EL29 wallpaper fixed in one place?
    Calkulin fixed it in his ROM so that scrolling wallpaper worked again.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    aquaholik likes this.
    02-02-2012 03:03 PM
    Really? Because of wallpaper? lmao
    Because Samsung is taking away a basic Android feature? lol of course I'd switch, they are plenty of other phones
    02-02-2012 03:15 PM
    Thanks Jay, searching Calk's thread found no complaint after December 31st so I guessed he fixed it. Love that ROM BTW.
    02-02-2012 03:16 PM
    I can finally access theheart.org!! Before this update it would just hang on a blank screen after logging in. In the past I tried everything to get it to work and now it works.
    02-02-2012 04:26 PM
    Yup, that's it. If anyone uses any of the location based features of Tasker, this is a much needed fix after updating to E29.
    For what it is worth, I never got around to rolling back to the previous version of the network locations apk, but my location based services started updating correctly on their own.
    02-02-2012 06:10 PM
    Being I do not want to install the update is there any way to make the notification go away??
    any help here would be appreciated

Thanks
    02-02-2012 07:07 PM
    any help here would be appreciated

Thanks
    Discussed here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...ml#post1582841
    02-02-2012 08:21 PM
    really not liking the new update, the loss of axis lock while scrolling is quite annoying. I realize why samsung had to do it but they should have at least mentioned it in a change list.

looks like I have a reason to root now and go back to a previous build.
    02-02-2012 10:30 PM
    My GPS is worse. It reports in foursqare and places that I'm still at places I was hours earlier. GPS finds no signal inside buildings that it worked in before
    02-02-2012 11:26 PM
    really not liking the new update, the loss of axis lock while scrolling is quite annoying. I realize why samsung had to do it but they should have at least mentioned it in a change list.

looks like I have a reason to root now and go back to a previous build.
    You can do that without root by the way. Well, the process will give you root, but you could unroot quite easily afterwards if you go back to EK02.

Actually, now that I think about it, the EL13 leak is probably the best of both worlds. It was the first build which Samsung completely removed Carrier IQ, but I believe they hadn't made any other ROM modifications yet. Most if not all of the stuff people don't like came in EL26 and the final build, EL29.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    02-03-2012 12:35 AM
    My GPS is still spotty. However my Internet speeds have massive improved around where I work where they where horrid! I will try and post speed test results when I get home.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G Touch
    02-03-2012 01:30 AM
    Did the update early this morning. Odd that the internet connection was so slow after doing it. But by the afternoon there was no slow down.
    02-03-2012 02:08 AM
    Got EL29 OTA this morning.

I see all the same things missing as everyone else, but that's one thing I haven't seen mentioned:

SETTINGS---DISPLAY---HORIZONTAL CALIBRATION now seems to be missing on my handset.

Can anyone else with stock EL29 please check for comparison?
    02-03-2012 02:54 AM
    Got EL29 OTA this morning.

I see all the same things missing as everyone else, but that's one thing I haven't seen mentioned:

SETTINGS---DISPLAY---HORIZONTAL CALIBRATION now seems to be missing on my handset.

Can anyone else with stock EL29 please check for comparison?
    This is true. I've an E4GT updated with stock EL29 and Horizontal Calibration is missing. I've also another E4GT I've refused to update in which Horizontal Calibration is still available.
    02-03-2012 03:41 AM
    This is true. I've an E4GT updated with stock EL29 and Horizontal Calibration is missing. I've also another E4GT I've refused to update in which Horizontal Calibration is still available.
    That's GOT to be a mistake on their part.....who's checking these ROMs before they're pushed OTA!?!?

I actually bump my phone around a lot and have to re-calibrate it once a month or so. I hope they fix this soon.

Also...I'm a new Android user....is there any official path to reporting these bugs to Sprint? Other than arguing with a less-than-knowledgeable phone support person?
    02-03-2012 03:55 AM
    Then you're going to be waiting a long time, if not indefinitely. This update closed the exploit that the autoroot tool used. However, sfhub packaged up an alternative, that is just about as easy and painless, that you can find here ...

[ODIN][TAR] SPH-D710.EL29_CL852097 (EL29 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Full Restore - Rooted) - xda-developers

Edit - Oh I didn't answer your other question. Yes it can be disabled in a few ways. The easiest in my opinion, is to use Titanium Back up to first backup, then uninstall the system app "System Updates". Then reboot your phone. You may get one more notification but they should stop after that. This will however stop your ability to "Update profile" and "Update PRL", which you shouldn't have to do very often anyways. If you need to do either, simply restore your System Updates backup, run your updates then uninstall again.
    Is there a way to disable it if your not rooted?
    02-03-2012 07:26 AM
    I think it made my battery life worse. After seeing how i couldnt scroll my wallpaper from side to side i downloaded GO Launcher and i think thats what was killing my battery but after seeing what you guys are saying i think it might just be the update.
    02-03-2012 10:14 AM
321 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD