Share your EL29 update experience here!!

kipdurran

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Kipdurran how do you get static images (what are those?) to scroll? None of my wallpapers scroll. :(

You know, I just realized that I am using GoLauncher and that might be why the static images scroll. I have not tried it with Touchwhiz. I just wish that I could get the live wallpapers to scroll.

Static images are the backgrounds that don't move.. essentially a still picture, versus the live wallpapers that have motion integrated into them.

Maybe someone will come up with an app that does that.

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
If was never there in the first place, you wouldn't hear any complaints. The fact that something was taken away is where the issue stems from. Is it a huge deal? Of course not, but it was a nice touch and enhanced the TouchWiz experience. Some people may not have wanted to trade looping homescreens for scrolling wallpaper, and I can understand the disappointment.

I didn't even notice this. I don't care about wallpaper scrolling. However, I have seen this happen more and more lately. An "update" that takes away features without informing the user. If you are going to remove features, you need to let the user know. You should not loose even the most minute feature in an "update".

BTW- if you use a custom launcher you can have scollable wallpapers. I really wish Google would make every manufacturer use standard Android OS and then just customize with walllpapers, widgets, etc rather than having these layers on top that can cause problems with compatibility, performance, etc. Then, you could get the damn software updates as soon as they are available rather than wait eons for your provider/carrier to provide them.

kgzero

May 2, 2011
Visit site
sfhub, when I try to install your ota update it just takes me to a screen with an android and an exclamation point. What am I doing wrong? It says that signature verification failed.

Last edited:

joshrocker

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Also, I'm not sure if it was mentioned yet, but it appears that this update also borks the network location updates... (So that apps like weather programs which update based solely on tower location don't work). I did find a fix for this over on XDA (by rolling back to and older version of google.android.location.apk), but this is some base functionality for them to screw up...

It seems like these updates are more to cover their legal behind than to actually fix stuff...

I noticed this this morning. My weather location was showing some random city.

I agree with your last statement. The last couple of updates have been mostly legal fixings versus real updates.

muffkat

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I am one of those people who are going to about the whole wallpaper issue. I use MultiPicture Live Wallpaper, so I can have a different image for every home screen, and I use this along with Go Launcher. Problem is, yes static images will scroll with Go Launcher, but Live Wallpapers will not. I've had my phone set up like this for a couple of months, and being stuck with just one home screen wallpaper just pisses me off now. I liked my phone that way, and taking that away makes my phone look so......average. As people have said, don't have a feature that all of a sudden disappears in an update.

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Wow, this is seriously annoying... It feels like the browser (or myself) just got stupid... Please tell me there is some way to fix this...

Also, I'm not sure if it was mentioned yet, but it appears that this update also borks the network location updates... (So that apps like weather programs which update based solely on tower location don't work). I did find a fix for this over on XDA (by rolling back to and older version of google.android.location.apk), but this is some base functionality for them to screw up...

It seems like these updates are more to cover their legal behind than to actually fix stuff...

Is this the fix you used for network location updates?

[Fix] Network Location Updates (Cell Towers) - xda-developers

Soap4Me

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I went to my Sprint Repair Center and told them this update to EL29 broke my phone. I want my scrolling wallpapers back so that my live wallpapers work too. I also want my battery life back as this update screwed that up also and I have a 3800 mah extended battery! The repair center is ordering me another phone and will make sure EK02 is on it. If I get notice to upgrade I will make sure I don't and will never take another update from android, google, or sprint again!

Soap4Me

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Kipdurran Apple won't reimburse you for crap. I bought a live wallpaper from Android Market and can't get money back either. Like I said before, I am swapping this phone for one that has EL02 again and will never take another upgrade for this phone ever again. I also notice that the backlight sometimes dims by itself androidpirate. Google fouled us up this time, or spint, or android or ALL OF THEM and they consistently do this with their upgrades. Listen guys, if a phone isn't broken out of the box, DON'T FIX IT!

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
From what I can see, battery life is still excellent and WIFI and 3G seem to be faster than they were previously.

Could care less about the scrolling WP but I can see where it wouldn't be a nice thing to loose for those who used it.

Soap4Me

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
To Dakilen and The Gator: I have seen the problem with apps installed in the market being "not installed" at bottom of my apps list. To correct it. I went to Settings>Applications>Market and then hit clear data. It solved the problem. Google work on a fix? Now that's a GOOD ONE. They will promise but you have to live with what you get. We were dumb enough to take this update when they didn't DISCLOSE all the update would add and TAKE AWAY. If I had known all it would take away I would have told them all to shove it. I am getting another phone and this one goes back. I pay for warranty each month. One of "their" upgrades destroyed (IMO) this phone. Android comes out with new phones more than any other company or platform, so they figure if this "new epic 4g touch" is screwed up, you will just shell out money YET AGAIN when a newer phone comes out. :(

Soap4Me

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Jfenton that's on your phone NOT on mine. No two have to be alike. Plenty are having my problems so I'm very HAPPY FOR YOU that you aren't. They ruined a $499 out of pocket phone for me. So laugh away.

Soap4Me

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
sfhub can you put a rooted odin one click os back to EK02 here? I hate this EL29 as it took away too many features of a $499 out if pocket epic 4g touch. Please help?

cal777flyer

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Losing the wallpaper is minor compared to losing the ability to have locked vertical scrolling in the browser. That loss is unbelievable. That alone makes me wish I never updated. Does anyone know how to roll back the update? If I reset my phone will that do it?

I'm not sure that was an Apple patent. I had a palm pre before this phone and it scrolled vertically in a locked manner.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
sfhub can you put a rooted odin one click os back to EK02 here? I hate this EL29 as it took away too many features of a $499 out if pocket epic 4g touch. Please help?
Everything is available in my signature over at XDA, provided here for your convenience:

Auto Root/NCIQ [EG30/EG31/EK02] - ODIN [EG30/EK02/EL13/EL26/EL29] - CWM MDM [EG30/EG31/EK02/EL13/EL26/EL29] - OTA [EL29]

EG30 and EK02 are pure stock and not pre-rooted because they can be directly rooted using Option A of Auto Root. The reason EL13 and newer are pre-rooted is because that is the minimum I could change to allow root after they plugged the exploit used in Auto Root.

So after you flash the EK02 ODIN One-Click, just use the Auto Root package, Option A to root, then Option C to install EK02+CWM.

As always backup your stuff before flashing.

Reactions: IAmSixNine

kalel114

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Got the update this morning and I am having some issues. Problems connecting to the Market and Internet are driving me crazy. The phone was damn near perfect before the update.:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke