Share your EL29 update experience here!!

Atomic Playboy

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Has anybody released the update.zip for this yet, or found the download URL? Is my Google/forum-search-fu weak, or am I just blind? I can't find anything here or on XDA; all I can find is the Odin TAR.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Has anybody released the update.zip for this yet, or found the download URL? Is my Google/forum-search-fu weak, or am I just blind? I can't find anything here or on XDA; all I can find is the Odin TAR.

This is stock EL29 rooted with busybox both odexed and deodexed versions if that's what you were looking for.

Edit - Removed wrong link. See two posts down for the correct EL29 link.

This was packed up from the leak a few weeks back not pulled from the OTA btw.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I get the same emails from 1969 must be the email app

Tried to find the context of this, but the only time I have seen messages from 1969 they were text threads that I couldn't delete. I was able to trace it back to MyBackup Pro that really messed things up when I tried to restore my data.

crankless

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Would someone who gets the update please upload it before you run the update so others can get it sooner?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
oscarthegrouch uploaded it here:
I've got the ek02 to el29 patch, where and who do I send it to? - xda-developers

The OTA EL29 is confirmed to be EXACTLY the same as the leaked EL29.

I took the MD5 of all the EL29 OTA patched files and compared them to the leaked EL29. Every one matched, including modem, kernel, and every patched ROM file.

If you want to be rooted with stock, there is really no need to deal with the OTA update at all. Just use the pre-rooted EL29 ODIN One-Click. There are 2 versions, Full resets your user data, NoData preserves your user data. Then if you want CWM, use the Auto Root sticky, Option C.

Pre-rooted EL29 One-Click link is here:
[ODIN][TAR] SPH-D710.EL29_CL852097 (EL29 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Full Restore - Rooted) - xda-developers

Reactions: dtm_stretch

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded the RARs, unzipped them and copied the renamed update.zip to the sdcard root (first with Kies, second time with USB cable), restarted the phone into recovery (Vol Up+Power) and it comes up with a screen with a orange exclamation point with white triangle and Lloyd standing in front. Text reads:

E:update file is backed up: Reportedted

# MANUAL MODE #

-- Updating application....
Installing Apks.
Successfully updated application.

(the orange text is actually yellow, but that won't show on white very well.)

Up top in blue text is "Android system recovery <3e>" and the usual reboot, update, wipe options, but none of them work when the power button is pressed. I have to pull the battery to restart. I've tried with the phone plugged into the charger and the computer and disconnected entirely. If there was a problem with the update file I could see it not updating but it's not even rebooting.

I'm not rooted (yet) and if EL29 can't be rooted (why not?) should I just use the ODIN method and do a NODATA flash to kill the update and root birds in one swing. This won't prevent the (assumed) update to ICS down the line, will it? Thanks.

UPDATE: I bit the bullet and downloaded the NODATA updater, but when I try to run it, it just hangs on the third message, "Please wait", and after 10 minutes it doesn't advance and the title bar says the program isn't responding. I had previously run ODIN 1.85 and it properly detected the phone, so it's not a driver or USB problem. I ended up pulling the battery and restarting the phone and I'm still at square zero. Sign.

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded the RARs, unzipped them and copied the renamed update.zip to the sdcard root (first with Kies, second time with USB cable), restarted the phone into recovery (Vol Up+Power) and it comes up with a screen with a orange exclamation point with white triangle and Lloyd standing in front. Text reads:

E:update file is backed up: Reportedted

# MANUAL MODE #

-- Updating application....
Installing Apks.
Successfully updated application.

(the orange text is actually yellow, but that won't show on white very well.)

Up top in blue text is "Android system recovery <3e>" and the usual reboot, update, wipe options, but none of them work when the power button is pressed. I have to pull the battery to restart. I've tried with the phone plugged into the charger and the computer and disconnected entirely. If there was a problem with the update file I could see it not updating but it's not even rebooting.

I'm not rooted (yet) and if EL29 can't be rooted (why not?) should I just use the ODIN method and do a NODATA flash to kill the update and root birds in one swing. This won't prevent the (assumed) update to ICS down the line, will it? Thanks.

UPDATE: I bit the bullet and downloaded the NODATA updater, but when I try to run it, it just hangs on the third message, "Please wait", and after 10 minutes it doesn't advance and the title bar says the program isn't responding. I had previously run ODIN 1.85 and it properly detected the phone, so it's not a driver or USB problem. I ended up pulling the battery and restarting the phone and I'm still at square zero. Sign.
I believe you need to use external SD for the update.zip. The other stuff is just Android installing the hidden partition of Sprint optional apps.

Regarding One-Click ODIN, do you see the yellow com port showing up? If not, disconnect and reconnect the USB cable after starting the ODIN One-Click.

If you really feel this is a problem with the One-Click and ODIN would work fine, in reference section A2, you can find the regular ODIN tar.md5 versions. They are self-extractors, so double-click on them, then select where to unpack.

Last edited:

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Regarding One-Click ODIN, do you see the yellow com port showing up? If not, disconnect and reconnect the USB cable after starting the ODIN One-Click.

If you really feel this is a problem with the One-Click and ODIN would work fine, in reference section A2, you can find the regular ODIN tar.md5 versions. They are self-extractors, so double-click on them, then select where to unpack.
There is no yellow com indicator like ODIN 1.85 has. The interface is called Odin3Excution (sic) v1.81 and is a smaller square interface without any indicators.

I tried again and the first time it did this:

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Successfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)

It took less than 10 seconds for all that to happen. I clicked Start again and it got as far as the third line and then went to Not Responding.

EDIT: Are the tar files you refer to the ones in this post? Does this nuke all my personal data and configurations or act as the NODATA method. I really, really, REALLY don't want to have to go through and redownload and reconfigure all my custom ringtones, etc. again.

UPDATE: I reran One-Click as Administrator and plugged the phone in and it immediately lit up the yellow port light. It is now in the process of flashing. Stay tuned...

UPDATE #2: It completed and looks good, but it did wipe out the custom ringtones of two of the three people I had them set for. (Makes me worry about what other details got silently pooched.) Titanium Backup works, so now I suppose I can finally move my Angry Birds games over from my EVO. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE #2: It completed and looks good, but it did wipe out the custom ringtones of two of the three people I had them set for. (Makes me worry about what other details got silently pooched.) Titanium Backup works, so now I suppose I can finally move my Angry Birds games over from my EVO. Thanks for the help.
If the ringtone was in /system (ie the ROM partition) then a ROM update could affect it.

If the ringtone was in the /data partition (ie user data) then the NODATA version did not touch /data at all so could not have made changes to it.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
OK, this non-scrolling wallpaper thing totally sucks! Several of my LWPs use scrolling from page to page to affect the action on the screen. Asteroid Belt makes the asteroids go backwards; Flames makes the fire shift with the motion; Prismatic rotate the kaleidoscope; Jumpgate changes the angle; NFL Teams rotates the helmet, etc.. What is the purpose of breaking this?!? For some reason Rays of Light does react to movement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz