Share your EL29 update experience here!!

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
By standard, I'm talking about static, but only because I didn't test with Live. They are likely all related. I can't believe after 3 leaked releases, they didn't get feedback that it was broken, so my guess is this is the way they intended it to be, for whatever reason.

I'd have to check back, but I thought EL13 didn't have infinite scrolling, but did have the non-scrolling wallpaper, so I don't know if it is directly related to infinite scrolling.

I'm quite sure the scrolling wallpaper issue wasn't reported until EL26, which is when looping homescreens was added. As far as feedback goes, I'd venture to bet that someone decided it wasn't worth another build version and hold up the main purpose of this update (remove CIQ). But you're right, it very well may have been intentional. Only Samsung knows for sure.

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
- Carrier IQ fully removed
- Phone icon changed
- Call screen changed
- Homescreens now loop from 1 to end and vice versa
- Homescreen wallpaper no longer scrolls

That's about it.

Hey Jay, the alarm screen also changed and dismiss/snooze buttons looks similar to incoming call screen's answer/end buttons.

Reactions: JayWill

joshrocker

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I guess I was the only one who hated the scrolling wallpaper? It always annoyed me that I couldn't see my whole image and had to scroll through my home screens to see the entire picture. It does set up a problem with live wallpapers that required this function. Part of the live wallpapers are effectively cut off now with no ability to see the entire animation.

repinphilly247

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
The Bad: I experienced a LOS today after not having one on EK02.

The good: GPS locked quickly,even on 4g (which never did before).
Plants vs zombies didnt crash in 45 minutes playing time (crashed usually 10 minutes after)... They may have fixed the games crashing issue.

Using go launcher so don't notice the icon change / scrolling homescreen.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
The only gripe I have is that it didn't fix my BT issues. I use a Blueant Q2 and it works great....when it wants to. When I say phone commands and the phone says say a command, sometimes it takes 2 tries for it to connect and thats annoying as all hell. Also, when the phone is on my hip and on the phone using Bt, it gets nothing but static. Sometimes it even disconnects. It sucks but I deal with it.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Plants vs zombies didnt crash in 45 minutes playing time (crashed usually 10 minutes after)... They may have fixed the games crashing issue.

Now that this was mentioned, I didn't have an LOS but I went into roaming where I never did before... Alot. Maybe it was the network so ill keep an eye on it.

Greebe

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Do u have to be on wifi to receive the update becase i have yet to receive it

Nope, some say it is released by "region", tho I doubt that. Mine updated this morning around 9am EST. The wifes which was purchased and activated the same time did not update and has not yet.
Powering down nor wifi never helped speed up the process either (for any OTA on any Sprint smartphone for the last 5 years has been my experience...

packpackpack

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Still waiting for an EL29 autoroot option. In the meantime, is there a way to disable the OTA notification?

Then you're going to be waiting a long time, if not indefinitely. This update closed the exploit that the autoroot tool used. However, sfhub packaged up an alternative, that is just about as easy and painless, that you can find here ...

[ODIN][TAR] SPH-D710.EL29_CL852097 (EL29 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Full Restore - Rooted) - xda-developers

Edit - Oh I didn't answer your other question. Yes it can be disabled in a few ways. The easiest in my opinion, is to use Titanium Back up to first backup, then uninstall the system app "System Updates". Then reboot your phone. You may get one more notification but they should stop after that. This will however stop your ability to "Update profile" and "Update PRL", which you shouldn't have to do very often anyways. If you need to do either, simply restore your System Updates backup, run your updates then uninstall again.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Nope, some say it is released by "region", tho I doubt that. Mine updated this morning around 9am EST. The wifes which was purchased and activated the same time did not update and has not yet.
Powering down nor wifi never helped speed up the process either (for any OTA on any Sprint smartphone for the last 5 years has been my experience...

Yeah it's not region based. Phones are chosen at random, and updates are rolled out in bunches over 10 days.

kipdurran

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I know that the wallpaper thing is not that important to some, but what gets me is that it is something that we had, and then it was taken away (either accidentally or on purpose). It would be another matter if it was never there in the first place.

Anyway, I have noticed two things:

1. Static images still seem to scroll. This leads me to believe that the changes are not intentional.

2. I can't seem to find the "Microbes" live wallpaper anymore. I have not used it in a while but I kind of like to have it now and then. Did they just take that off my phone? If so, it doesn't seem very neighborly.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
^^ Son of a gun, you're right. Microbes is gone. I occasionally used it because being mostly black, it would use less juice and it was fun to feed the lil' critters.

acadialover

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I live in Seattle wa. and my phone updated this morning . ( 1/30 )
The weird thing for me is that I have had a bunch of dropped phone calls today and haven't before this.
Could it have anything to do with the update ?

Rezindn

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
just did quadrant benchmark and got 3794 was getting 3324 before the update so seemed to speed it up a little and now straight from the music player i can search using the capacitive button i usually would have to press list and than search i couldn't do it on the player screen

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie