Share your EL29 update experience here!!

chaseychasem

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Then you're going to be waiting a long time, if not indefinitely. This update closed the exploit that the autoroot tool used. However, sfhub packaged up an alternative, that is just about as easy and painless, that you can find here ...

[ODIN][TAR] SPH-D710.EL29_CL852097 (EL29 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Full Restore - Rooted) - xda-developers

Edit - Oh I didn't answer your other question. Yes it can be disabled in a few ways. The easiest in my opinion, is to use Titanium Back up to first backup, then uninstall the system app "System Updates". Then reboot your phone. You may get one more notification but they should stop after that. This will however stop your ability to "Update profile" and "Update PRL", which you shouldn't have to do very often anyways. If you need to do either, simply restore your System Updates backup, run your updates then uninstall again.

Much obliged. Unless I've misread, though, the sfhub workaround necessitates a factory reset, correct?

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to know this as well. I'm running rooted stock. I don't mind losing root, but I don't want to end up bricked.

Is this update safe with a rooted phone?

Yes it is safe, but you will lose root and the only way to reroot will be to use odin to flash one of SFhub's packages.

Also do not install the update if you have made any changes that removed any system apps/bloat, installed a clockwork recovery, or in anyway modified the framework. This will cause the update to fail and has the potential to brick your phone.

Reactions: Sapient

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Yes it is safe, but you will lose root and the only way to reroot will be to use odin to flash one of SFhub's packages.

Also do not install the update if you have made any changes that removed any system apps/bloat, installed a clockwork recovery, or in anyway modified the framework. This will cause the update to fail and has the potential to brick your phone.

I'm fairly certain I am safe, but I'll ask the following to be sure:

1) Bloat removed through "Manage Applications" should be OK, yes?
2) Is it OK that I installed Rom Manager and Rom Manager Premium and performed backups?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm fairly certain I am safe, but I'll ask the following to be sure:

1) Bloat removed through "Manage Applications" should be OK, yes?
2) Is it OK that I installed Rom Manager and Rom Manager Premium and performed backups?

Yes that is fine. Removing apps via "manage applications" is removing user apps, not apps tagged as system apps, and having an app installed that requires root access doesn't by itself cause a problem with a OTA update.

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Well, that didn't work. Attempting to install the update sent me straight to the Android with the yellow exclamation mark. Had to reboot.

Maybe unrooting is the next step.

cal777flyer

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I also noticed that when scrolling vertically on a zoomed in webpage (like reading article, forums, etc) the motion does not stay purely vertical like it used too and instead the page moves horizontally as well. Pretty annoying actually. Has anyone else seen this?

Also, in the settings menu there is an option to tether via USB. Has this always been there? Do you have to have a tethering plan with Sprint for this feature?

Thx.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, that didn't work. Attempting to install the update sent me straight to the Android with the yellow exclamation mark. Had to reboot.

What recovery do you have on your phone? I'm betting you have Clockwork mod and not stock.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
What recovery do you have on your phone? I'm betting you have Clockwork mod and not stock.

Hmmm. That may be the case. I thought the rooting method I used left everything else unchanged. I guess I was mistaken or incorrectly remember whatever decisions I made. I guess I will just flash an updated ROM instead.

Andy357#AC

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
How would I check to see if my phone had EL29?
The closest I could find under settings> about phone>baseband version ending in EK02. not sure if this is what I'm looking for or not.

androidpirate

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
The scrolling thing is definitely an apple patent. Probably why it's been removed.

I also noticed that when scrolling vertically on a zoomed in webpage (like reading article, forums, etc) the motion does not stay purely vertical like it used too and instead the page moves horizontally as well. Pretty annoying actually. Has anyone else seen this?

Also, in the settings menu there is an option to tether via USB. Has this always been there? Do you have to have a tethering plan with Sprint for this feature?

Thx.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

If the OTA update failed, the first thing I would do is run the Auto Root package, Option D, and do the OTA Compliance Check EK02-EL29.

This will tell you very quickly what is causing the OTA update to fail. You do need to be rooted to run it.

Reactions: Sapient

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
BTW if anyone is interested, I put together a rooted EL29 OTA update here:

[CWM][OTA][EK02->EL29] Rooted EL29 OTA update (patches your existing ROM) - xda-developers

The difference from the ODIN One-Clicks is this is based on the official EL29 OTA update. What that means is this will *patch* your existing EK02 files to upgrade them to EL29 and thus will check to make sure your ROM files are stock. The ODIN One-Click has full versions of the entire ROM, so it just overwrites your ROM and doesn't care what you currently have there.

There are 2 versions provided, one is just rooted. The other is rooted+CWM.

The ODIN One-Clicks won't trigger the yellow triangle nor increase the ODIN flash count and neither will the rooted OTA update.

kgzero

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, sfhub, but I'm a little confused.
I rooted my phone through your EK02 auto program (rooted only). That means I can use this to go to EL29 (ota update) + root my phone correct? Also, this should get rid of all the update notices, right?

Sorry about these dumb questions, but I really have no experience with rooting, except by using your last program (A very big thank you by the way!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz