Share your EL29 update experience here!!

BJDeriso

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
From battery life, I meant to ask if the update made people's battery life significantly worse. I was reading over at XDA that for some people who had been using leaked versions of EL29, battery life was considerably worse than EL13. I just received my EL29 update, so I will see how it effects mine.

Greetings! Put me down for worse :(

Got the push last Monday, and my battery life has dropped by more than half. All of my update intervals are the same as they were before the update -nothing more frequent than 1 hour. I keep the 4G, Bluetooth, GPS, and WiFi off unless I need them (as always). If I unplug and leave the house with a full charge, I'm down to 90% by the time I get to my office, 20 minutes away. And that's with the phone in my car's cup holder.

That's 3.3hrs with the screen off. Since nothing has changed but the ROM load, I'm hard pressed to call it a coincidence.

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Michael jc70 you CAN choose not to install if you don't mind having constant update reminders appearing on your screen about 10 or more times a day (seems to stop at night). This is one faulty update they want you to have. Samsung lost a lawsuit with apple over the scrolling wallpaper and had to remove it from the Epic 4G touch ASAP. Next time understand what's happening. I have to click off the update reminder tons of times a day, and I will continue doing so as the EL 29 update was klilling my battery (even with a 3800 extended battery). I got another phone and am constantly clicking away the update which is ANNOYING to say the least. If they want me to install this crummy update let them reimburse me the $499 + tax I paid for the phone!

Well, you are suggesting that Samsung violate the law and continue to include the scrolling wallpaper? That is your answer?

My point is to install a launcher, or not do the update or install a ROM that has the scrolling wallpaper and you won't get the update message. Do you want to solve the problem or just complain? I am under the impression a lot of people just want to complain and the issue is secondary.

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Michael I never had the wired headset problem when I used one on EK02 and didn't have it with bluetooth either. May just be your phone. :(

It is widely reported in the sprint forums and on this forum. It wasn't just my phone. It may have been fixed before this update, but it didn't work in the original version.

freddyc

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Wait ... what scrolling wallpaper lawsuit? I do know of a lawsuit about the behavior when you scroll to the end of something and it bumps or flashes or something, but wallpaper? Then why does my Galaxy Tab wallpaper still scroll? Could someone link me to the wallpaper lawsuit? Does the wallpaper on the iPhone scroll? Because it doesn't on my iPod Touch, although it's a 2nd Gen so maybe in a newer OS?

ramonm2

Dec 23, 2010
ramonm2.blogspot.com
it's been two days since the update for me. Ever since it updated I don't get my wifes texts. She has an iPhone on AT&T. She gets my texts but I don't get hers... I've tried battery pulls, restarting my phone. I really don't want to factory reset it. anyone having a similar issue?

takehiro12

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Michael jc70 you CAN choose not to install if you don't mind having constant update reminders appearing on your screen about 10 or more times a day (seems to stop at night). This is one faulty update they want you to have. Samsung lost a lawsuit with apple over the scrolling wallpaper and had to remove it from the Epic 4G touch ASAP. Next time understand what's happening. I have to click off the update reminder tons of times a day, and I will continue doing so as the EL 29 update was klilling my battery (even with a 3800 extended battery). I got another phone and am constantly clicking away the update which is ANNOYING to say the least. If they want me to install this crummy update let them reimburse me the $499 + tax I paid for the phone!

This is true, you do not have to install this update! I was getting constant reminders (15 per day) for about 3 to 4 days then they stopped and now I only get a reminder if I reboot and then just once. I'm perfectly happy with the way the phone was functioning and that's the way I intend to keep it at least until ice cream sandwich comes along. If you don't want the headache of losing features, live wallpapers, battery life, etc. and you can live with CarrierIQ a little longer, then DON'T GIVE IN!!!

Stearmandriver

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Update was fine for me. Yeah, love wallpapers don't scroll. Couldn't care less. With ciq gone, standard ram loss has dropped from around 240 to 190 or so. I call that an actual benefit, not a placebo... And I'll gladly trade something meaningless like scrolling wallpaper for it. Battery life for me has been correspondingly better.

Sorry you guys are having issues.

kgzero

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey I'm experiencing the same thing. Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My problem was that I only had my phone rooted, but did not have CWM on the phone. I completely skipped over the instruction that said I would need to have CWM installed. Once I followed sfhubs instructions (installing EK02 +root+CWM) I was able to install the EL29+root update from him.

oversteer325

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
So far the update has been great. Love the new alarm and call answer screens. Battery seems better and GPS seems to lock faster. Data speed increases have been my favorite feature from the update.

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Update was fine for me. Yeah, love wallpapers don't scroll. Couldn't care less. With ciq gone, standard ram loss has dropped from around 240 to 190 or so. I call that an actual benefit, not a placebo... And I'll gladly trade something meaningless like scrolling wallpaper for it. Battery life for me has been correspondingly better.

Sorry you guys are having issues.

I wonder how much of that RAM gain can be attributed to non-scrollable wallpapers.:p

gix750.rn

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
I have been running it for about week now. My battery life hasn't changed and get twelve to fifteen hours normally. Only thing negative that I have experienced is loss of some touch sensitivity on the screen and four device buttons. Have to use more pressure than before. It also killed my App Lock and have been sending log info to Creative Core to help resolve that issue

freddyc

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I wonder how this will change once we get ICS. From what I've seen, ICS screens don't continue to scroll, they do some 3-D effect once you get to the last one.

Soap4Me

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
If you people bothered to check, articles about the missing scrolling wallpapers were written. Apple had a patent on that and they offered Samsung rights to use it if they paid for it. Samsung told them NO WAY. That's why they had to pull the scrolling wallpaper. Samsung felt they had a right to use it for free. You can check this out. You now have paid for a feature on the Epic 4G Touch that you LOST due to Samsung as this is a feature on android.

Soap4Me

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Michael. yet again, you miss the point. You paid for that scrolling feature as it's part of ANDROID. Samsung had the money to pay Apple and they chose not to. Take from this whatever you want. I looked through forums and found nothing about your wired headset problem. Sorry you are having the problem. I have another new Epic 4G Touch now and only get the update message once a day on boot up. I can live with that as I won't put in an update that drained my battery. The update made the phone look for better signals. and where I live Sprint signals are low. That's why my battery drained. it kept searching for the higher 3G signal. For those who have better battery life, it means they are living in a strong Sprint area. I am NOT. So enjoy your phone and don't tell others they are COMPLAINING if they have problems with this update. You are quite insensitive. :*(

Soap4Me

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Gami you can get your phone back to stock. Read what sfhub wrote and you will find that solution easy and get back your Epic 4G Touch the way it was meant to be. :)

webwevers#WN

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded to EL29 4 days ago. I am running a stock Epic 4G Touch. I am having two issues now and they might be related. I can only go about 6 hours now on my battery instead of all day before the update. Also my GPS now will not work unless I turn it off and on about 3 or 4 times and then it sometimes does work. It is now constantly looking for a gps lock or signal. Even when I turn gps off it still is looking for something and drains my battery. Someone mentioned that it is looking for the best network signal and if so that is most likely my trouble since I live in an area where our signal is not that good. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I take it back now to Sprint? The phone is now not as usable as before with the poor battery life. Wish I had not done the update!

takehiro12

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
If you people bothered to check, articles about the missing scrolling wallpapers were written. Apple had a patent on that and they offered Samsung rights to use it if they paid for it. Samsung told them NO WAY. That's why they had to pull the scrolling wallpaper. Samsung felt they had a right to use it for free. You can check this out. You now have paid for a feature on the Epic 4G Touch that you LOST due to Samsung as this is a feature on android.

I lost nothing. I ignored the update and eventually it went away. Phone works as it always has.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user