Share your EL29 update experience here!!

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
LOL I cant believe you guys are still whining over the removal of the scrolling wallpaper! this phone has other bigger issues and this is the #1 complaint..........hilarious!

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
LOL I cant believe you guys are still whining over the removal of the scrolling wallpaper! this phone has other bigger issues and this is the #1 complaint..........hilarious!

I haven't said anything about it but I did purchase Christmas HD which is a customizable scrolling wallpaper that my kids really like. That's the only problem that I have with it - I paid for something that I now can't use.

anon(22913)

May 16, 2010
Visit site
What is so friggin difficult to understand?

1) Scrolling wallpapers is a BASIC, FUNDAMENTAL feature of the Android O/S, it should not be removed.

2) People purchased live wallpapers that they now cannot use.

3) It's not a patent issue because AFAIK the iPhone does not have scrolling wallpapers.

4) Live Wallpaper developers are pissed. See #1.

Very simple. If this is Samsung's plan, to mess with basic Android features, I will no longer buy Samsung phones. There are plenty of other Android handset manufacturers.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Michael. yet again, you miss the point. You paid for that scrolling feature as it's part of ANDROID. Samsung had the money to pay Apple and they chose not to.

Apple offered to licence their 381 patent to Samsung, which relates to the "bounce" effect when scrolling off the edge of a screen. That bounce in our ROM had already been removed in the EK02 update, and I have serious doubts that the scrolling wallpaper issue is patent related at all. There has been a trend lately with Android phone firmware removing scrolling wallpaper, and it's not just Samsung. See here Removal of scrolling wallpapers... Why? Thoughts? - xda-developers . The thread didn't garner much response, but it eludes to what may be a trend in Android with reasons unknown.

After thinking about the whole thing, I've come to the conclusion that wallpaper scrolling was indeed removed intentionally, but I still feel like it was a side effect to adding looping homescreens. I also believe this is why they removed the two live wallpapers, because they didn't work as intended, and they couldn't get the issue fixed in time to meet Sprint's update schedule. Remember, this update was driven by Sprint, with the direction to remove Carrier IQ. The changes to the homescreen scrolling was added late in the build cycle, and they probably couldn't get it working correctly before they hit Sprint's deadline.

Why Samsung chose to mess with Touchwiz at all is a bit of a head scratcher. Maybe these were changes they were planning for the ICS version of Touchwiz and they wanted to use this update as a "product test". Meh who knows.

Reactions: freddyc

Soap4Me

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
My phone is okay as I click away that miserable update. Whatever the reason, android took away a feature that left my animated wallpapers useless. Thank God I only bought ONE. I know I will never see that money again, and there are many other problems with the EL29 update that android. google, samsung, and sprint have to address or refund monies paid for our Epic 4G Touch phones.

Soap4Me

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I am ignoring the update for a week now Takehiro and it still won't go away. Samsung had to get rid of it due to apple and they will continue to send it out. How did yours stop? Webwevers I was the one who brought up about the phone trying to search now for the best 3G signal and if you live in a poor Sprint area, the phone keeps searching, thus draining the battery as Sprint upped the OS with a feature that locks onto better signals. I am in an area where cell phones (all companies) go to die, as the townsfolk won't allow anyone touching, or repairing, the towers, or adding new ones (fear of radiation yet they all keep phones next to their ears (hypocrites!)).

Last edited:
Reactions: Searcher61

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
my location wont update, gps is basically useless, among other various isses..........if my wall paper scrolled Id be golden! really? if its that big a deal use ADW or Go Launcher

joshrocker

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I haven't said anything about it but I did purchase Christmas HD which is a customizable scrolling wallpaper that my kids really like. That's the only problem that I have with it - I paid for something that I now can't use.

You can set Christmas HD to automatically scroll. It may not be ideal for you, but it will work and the entire scene will be visible.

Reactions: Murphy5111

takehiro12

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I am ignoring the update for a week now Takehiro and it still won't go away. Samsung had to get rid of it due to apple and they will continue to send it out. How did yours stop? Webwevers I was the one who brought up about the phone trying to search now for the best 3G signal and if you live in a poor Sprint area, the phone keeps searching, thus draining the battery as Sprint upped the OS with a feature that locks onto better signals. I am in an area where cell phones (all companies) go to die, as the townsfolk won't allow anyone touching, or repairing, the towers, or adding new ones (fear of radiation yet they all keep phones next to their ears (hypocrites!)).

I wish I knew what to tell you. My phone isn't rooted yet I haven't seen the update for days. I do frequently use the built in Task manager to end running programs and clear out the RAM but I don't think that would have anything to do with it. I only reboot the phone once or twice a week and the last time I did, the update came up once then disappeared. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Nozzles Brewin

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone else seeing this issue, when setting a wallpaper now I can no longer select landscape or portrait mode, it also seems to select a much smaller area than before, I'm using a third party app to set my WP now

Soap4Me

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Nozzles where have you been? This WHOLE SECTION is about the lack of scrolling wallpaper and not being able to choose the mode. LOL.

freddyc

May 6, 2010
Visit site

Why do you keep saying that they made this change because of Apple? I've yet to find any evidence of this.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Recently I've had errors relating to data with a pop up message saying, "data connection error". Is this the LOS issue every one talks about?

I don't know what would cause that message for you, but no that's not LOS. For the most part, the LOS bug was squashed in the EK02 update. It can still happen, but the circumstances that can cause it are far more rare.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
My GPS is worse. It reports in foursqare and places that I'm still at places I was hours earlier. GPS finds no signal inside buildings that it worked in before :-\ :(

This is happening with foursquare outside of the Epic Touch. Hopefully foursquare gets an update soon.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G Touch

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
This is happening with foursquare outside of the Epic Touch. Hopefully foursquare gets an update soon.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G Touch
its still an Epic issue, I dont use Four Square but these are the exact same things that happen to my phone with my Fancy Widgets weather locations

androidpirate

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I was trying to update the ap news widget,then noticed the browser wasn't working either. updating prl and profile didn't help fix the problem. Putting the phone in airplane mode and back fixed the problem though.

I don't know what would cause that message for you, but no that's not LOS. For the most part, the LOS bug was squashed in the EK02 update. It can still happen, but the circumstances that can cause it are far more rare.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

silx29#AC

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I am also having data troubles when I'm connected to wifi. I have to disable wifi and enable it again for it to work. I'm hoping Samsung fixes this issue soon because I love this phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois