Share your EL29 update experience here!!

takehiro12

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Takehiro SAMSUNG OFFICIALLY PULLED the EL29 update. Two reps and a supervisor confirmed this. Just because Sprint didn't comply yet is Sprint's problem. If you read what I wrote before, you will see how to stop the sprint updates and it WORKS! REMEMBER when you click on NOTES on the INSTALL feature, don't click on the bottom to install. Just pull the battery and sprint's update will disappear. This took me one hour of talking to Samsung to get this info and I bless them for it. HOWEVER, IF YOU SEE AN UPGRADE TO THE MEDIA HUB IN THE ANDROID MARKET DO NOT UPDATE. LET IT BE. If you update it, it requires the EL29 update. Leave the update sit in Android Market for the Media Hub PLEASE! Samsung will not be releasing any MEMO Takehiro about pulling their faulty update. They said interoffice memos are flying all over Samsung Offices about this faulty update and how to resolve it. Until Sprint catches up and pulls the faulty EL29 update also, PLEASE FOLLOW PROCEDURES I listed above from Samsung. (Pssst, one Sprint tech told me about that method of clicking on Notes on the update box and pulling the battery also, lol).

Soap4Me if the update ever starts popping up for me again, I will use this technique. And I will definitely avoid updating the Media Hub. Thank you for all the great info!!! :)

odarellmc1

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
im almost temped to do this update my gps hasnt worked since i got it and i was hoping this update would fix it...anyone getting gps fixed with this update? i see some say yes and some no...

Sn1per 117

Flashaholic
Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Takehiro SAMSUNG OFFICIALLY PULLED the EL29 update. Two reps and a supervisor confirmed this. Just because Sprint didn't comply yet is Sprint's problem. If you read what I wrote before, you will see how to stop the sprint updates and it WORKS! REMEMBER when you click on NOTES on the INSTALL feature, don't click on the bottom to install. Just pull the battery and sprint's update will disappear. This took me one hour of talking to Samsung to get this info and I bless them for it. HOWEVER, IF YOU SEE AN UPGRADE TO THE MEDIA HUB IN THE ANDROID MARKET DO NOT UPDATE. LET IT BE. If you update it, it requires the EL29 update. Leave the update sit in Android Market for the Media Hub PLEASE! Samsung will not be releasing any MEMO Takehiro about pulling their faulty update. They said interoffice memos are flying all over Samsung Offices about this faulty update and how to resolve it. Until Sprint catches up and pulls the faulty EL29 update also, PLEASE FOLLOW PROCEDURES I listed above from Samsung. (Pssst, one Sprint tech told me about that method of clicking on Notes on the update box and pulling the battery also, lol).

So if this is actually somehow true, what will happen for people who updated?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
sfhub you are wrong. When the person swiped away the lock screen she may have inadvertantly touched the install screen that is under the lock screen, lying in wait. Sprint and Samung assured me that doing the method I described twice already would kill the update. By going to the "more" choice it's almost (stressing almost) tricking the phone to thinking you downloaded EL29 according to the manufacturers. Again do NOT update the Media Hub for now through Android Market.
I used to do the same thing on LG Optimus S (where it did work), so that is the first thing I tried on Samsung. It went away for a week then I noticed my data was constantly on and my battery life was crap, then I realized the reason was because it had started downloading the update again. Other people on the xda thread to disable updates found the same behavior.

Now if Samsung really has disabled the update, then when your phone goes to check for new updates, it won't find any, and you will have effectively disabled the current update, but only because there is no longer any update available (if what Samsung told you was true about EL29 being pulled)

Last edited:

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes the SCROLLING WALLPAPER, can someone (Dev) bring it BACK...........Please.

Pp.:confused:

I believe most custom EL29 ROMs have added scrolling wallpaper back. I know Calkulin's ROM has it, as does the ROM I'm currently running which is TNz Blend. If you're willing to root and run a custom ROM you CAN have scrolling wallpaper on Touchwiz.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
ALERT! I called Samsung today and found out that OFFICIALLY as of 4 days ago the EL29 update was pulled from Samsung. Sprint is still pushing it. Bless you Samsung for telling me how to get rid of the pesky updating pushes from SPRINT over a faulty EL29 update that SAMSUNG OFFICIALLY PULLED!
How come this is the ONLY place we've heard about this? Nothing on AC proper. Nothing comes up in a quick Google search. Someone on a forum claims to have called Samsung (who exactly?) and been told that a major update to a large-selling phone has been withdrawn days ago, but the carrier who'd be on the hook for supporting it are still shoving it out to end users? Am I the only one who'd like to see some PROOF of this withdrawal? A simple link to some reputable source that indicates EL29 has been pulled due to problems, is that too hard?

Sorry if I seem suspicious, but there have been bashing trolls here screaming about how the SG2 is "defective" and demanding that Samsung commit sepaku (nevermind that one is Korean and the other Japanese) for such a crap phone, so forgive me for not swallowing unsubstantiated claims on one person's say-so. Soap4Me has made 26 of his 31 total posts in this thread, all howling how much he hates this phone and we're supposed to accept that he's got the inside scoop from Samsung that no one else has heard about?

Really? :confused:

dboehlje

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Just got off the phone with Sprint customer service who said they have been receiving a lot of complaints about this update. I was told a fix would be pushed to our phones on March 8. Not sure I believe them but hopefully its true.

D.P.G.

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Is it technically possible to bring back scrolling wallpaper without rooting? I have this phone on a major corporate account so I can’t root. And can you install a launcher without rooting and if so how hard is it to get Touch Wiz back if you don’t like what you installed?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Is it technically possible to bring back scrolling wallpaper without rooting? I have this phone on a major corporate account so I can?t root. And can you install a launcher without rooting and if so how hard is it to get Touch Wiz back if you don?t like what you installed?

Go Launcher EX is free, is a VERY good launcher, and has scrolling wallpaper and very smooth homescreen looping. You can also download a Touchwiz theme to make it look very close to stock touchwiz. If you don't like the launcher, you can either clear the default and switch back to Touchwiz, or uninstall Go Launcher completely. It's very simple to revert back and won't do any harm.

Go Launcher EX blows Touchwiz away in my opinion. I also bought ADW Launcher when it was 10 cents during the sale, and I tried to get used to it recently, but ended up back with Go Launcher. It's just plain better.

elyeh

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Is it technically possible to bring back scrolling wallpaper without rooting? I have this phone on a major corporate account so I can?t root. And can you install a launcher without rooting and if so how hard is it to get Touch Wiz back if you don?t like what you installed?

Look on the post on how to roll back to EK02.

elyeh

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Soap... WTG this worked like a charm...I've been a hold out and thanks for this. I was gona outlast the nag screen no matter how many times a day I had to "install later"

Soap4Me

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Sn1per if you already downloaded it. then you would have to root it. Dirk Belig if you don't believe me, then don't do what I was told by Samsung to do and keep getting your update reminders. I spent an hour on the phone with both Samsung and Sprint and was told by two techs at Samsung and a Supervisor that EL29 was PULLED. If you don't believe me, your problem. They said interoffice memos were flying all over Samsung and a fix was being worked on. For those who used the method I described. congrats! Updates gone. :)

Soap4Me

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Also DIRK look at the people who did what I was told to do by a tech and see how happy they are that the updates stopped. My phone has it stopped also. :)

Soap4Me

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
D.P.G. Launchers can be installed without rooting and sfhub if you knew about what posted working on another phone, why didn't you tell people to try it like I did after researching this for an hour with TWO companies? :)

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
sfhub if you knew about what posted working on another phone, why didn't you tell people to try it like I did after researching this for an hour with TWO companies? :)
I have suggested in the past for the LG Optimus S, back in September 2011

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-optimus-s/120769-forcing-me-update.html#post1278618

I don't suggest it for this phone because when I tried it, it was only a temporary reprieve. Why should I suggest something I know by my own experience is not really a permanent solution?

My solution for this phone is to change my version info to match the current version. It has worked for EK02 and for EL29 so that spans a couple of months.

Whatever works for you. I have no interest in forcing solutions down peoples' throats. I'm just relaying my experiences.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Go Launcher EX doesn't fix the broken 3D wallpapers for me. None of the alternative launchers I've tried resolve this issue.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Sn1per if you already downloaded it. then you would have to root it. Dirk Belig if you don't believe me, then don't do what I was told by Samsung to do and keep getting your update reminders. I spent an hour on the phone with both Samsung and Sprint and was told by two techs at Samsung and a Supervisor that EL29 was PULLED. If you don't believe me, your problem. They said interoffice memos were flying all over Samsung and a fix was being worked on. For those who used the method I described. congrats! Updates gone. :)
You're right, I don't believe you because you're an outright hater on the phone and are the ONLY ONE who seems to be in possession of the knowledge that this update has been pulled. Funny how no one on the Android Central staff or any other site seems to know what reasonable people would consider rather important information, just a forum poster with a proven axe to grind.

BTW, I never got the notification because I switched to the pre-rooted ODIN 3 update.

Soap4Me

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Dirk, whether you believe me or not is immaterial. The solution WORKED, as you can see from those that did it. Also, I love the phone. I was upset at what Samsung DID TO IT with their faulty update. If you could read English, you would have understood that. I am glad you rooted your phone and voided your warranty. I didn't have to do that and neither did the people that followed the advice. You are a trite little person, and I won't be responding to you anymore. :)

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Dirk, whether you believe me or not is immaterial. The solution WORKED, as you can see from those that did it. Also, I love the phone. I was upset at what Samsung DID TO IT with their faulty update. If you could read English, you would have understood that. I am glad you rooted your phone and voided your warranty. I didn't have to do that and neither did the people that followed the advice. You are a trite little person, and I won't be responding to you anymore. :)
Keep spinning, Bub, but none of your faux outrage and misdirection changes the FACT that you are claiming knowledge that no one else seems to have. The issue isn't whether there is a method to stopping the updates. The issue is that you are boldly claiming that you alone have obtained secret knowledge that no one else on the Internet seems to be aware of and when called out and asked for PROOF beyond your say so, you turtle up and point at an unrelated detail. It's as if you're claiming the government has aliens hidden in the EPCOT Center dome and they told you on the phone about it, but when asked for proof, you whine over and over that people who used your tip for preventing crepes from sticking to the pan are satisfied. Really?

And you're seriously going to play the "you voided your warranty by rooting" card in a forum for a site where phones getting rooted is front page news? (Unlike top secret update recalls which no one but you know about since you're so cool and in the know. *cough*)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae