I have an Evo 4g from Sprint...and want to upgrade to Samsung Galaxy Epic 4g touch... Should I do it? I played with the phone at the store, but would like to get advice from pepole who have the phone.
    :beer:

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    01-29-2012 03:57 PM
    I have an Evo 4g from Sprint...and want to upgrade to Samsung Galaxy Epic 4g touch... Should I do it? I played with the phone at the store, but would like to get advice from pepole who have the phone.
    :beer:

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    It is the best phone "currently" available on sprint. If you are patient, i'd say wait until the Nexus drops(which we have no idea when that will be). If you aren't then get it by all means you won't regret it.
    01-29-2012 04:20 PM
    Get it because even though LTE will be up in a few months you don't know if your area will have it....Buy it!
    01-29-2012 04:31 PM
    Hell yeah this is the best phone have owned by far
    01-29-2012 07:31 PM
    If you like Sense from HTC, then I would wait. Touchwiz as an overlay is not as useful in my opinion. Some things that may or may not be important to you that Sense allows, but Touchwiz doesn't:

Using the Camera during calls or low battery
    Having a delay timer on enterprise security lock screen

If you are in the mind to flash a new rom, know that the EVO had a ton more support for roms as well.

All that said, I do like the phone, although it took a little while to get over what Touchwiz lacks.

nnb
    01-30-2012 08:49 AM
    I made the jump from an evo to s 4g touch. I was running cyanogen mod on the evo however and rooted and put on calkin's rom for the 4g touch within 15 min of purchasing the phone (had to go from the store to my kid xmas program so I had all the files etc downloaded on my laptop and rooted and romed in the parking lot of the sprint store, then let titanium load my old apps while i drove from there to the xmass program)

I do miss the cyanogen rom but the phone is AWSOME. To me the single most impresive day to day function is the boot time. The EVO used to take 3-4 min sometimes to restart if you had to pull the battery. The 4g touch can go from no battery to surfing the web in under a min easily!!

The screen size increase is small on paper (.2 in) but in reality it is very noticeable. Overall I am very happy with the move.
    01-30-2012 01:30 PM
    I do miss the cyanogen rom but the phone is AWSOME.
    If you miss CM7 enough, bubby323 has a very working port of it available now. Nandroid your Calkulin setup and give it a spin if you care to. Its threads are on the Rootzwiki forums here ...

[ROM][UNOFFICIAL] Cyanogenmod 7.2 Alpha 6 (1-15-2012) *I can't believe it's not butter!* - RootzWiki

[E4GT]:1/15:[DAILY]*[AOSP] .: CM 7.3 A6- CM Daily [almost nighty ] Thread :. - RootzWiki
    01-30-2012 03:33 PM
    Ive used an EVO 4g as well as an EVO 3D. My current device is an Epic Touch and i do think its a great device to use.
    If your in one of the 4 launch markets for LTE i would wait for the Nexus. If your not in one of those markets the Epic Touch is a winner.
    01-30-2012 05:56 PM
    I had the Evo 4G for a year, then was eligible to upgrade in June which is when I got the Evo 3d. Sense on the Evo 4G and 3d seemed equally sluggish, live wallpapers were out of the question if you wanted any resemblance of smoothness on either of the two phones. The Epic 4G Touch came out and I traded my 3d for it and couldn't be happier. The screen is amazing (even going from the qHD display back down to 480 x 800) and the whole phone just seems so much more fluid, vibrant, and faster.

If you do buy one, try to get it at Best Buy and get their Buy back program, that way if either the Nexus is more your style, or the Galaxy S3 comes out within 6 to 11 months of your purchase, you can always trade the phone back in and get enough money back that buying the next phone at retail won't hurt too bad. The good thing about the buy back program is that Best Buys retail prices for the phones are rather high (699 compared to 499) at Sprint, but they do price match! So, considering you bought the phone for just 199 if you are eligible now, you can get back up to $350 back if you get another phone within 6 months, or $280 back if you get one within 11 months. If Sprint sticks to a 499 price for their new phones, you won't pay much more if any if Best Buy price matches them. Also, once you get that new phone, you won't have to pay the activation fee since you're buying it "full price".

Just something to consider, especially now that the Sprint Premier program and it's once a year upgrade eligibilty are gone.
    01-30-2012 06:18 PM
    I had the EVO for a year and just switched to the SGSII a month ago. I'm absolutely love this phone! As someone pointed out in another post, the extra screen size really is noticeable.

My EVO was and is awesome. Before I upgraded to the Samsung I was running CyanogenMod 7.1 on my EVO, and it was working really well. If you haven't tried this yet with your EVO, give it a shot before you upgrade - it might just be the ticket for you.

Things I miss about my EVO? The kicstand and FM radio. I used the kickstand daily for video stuff and for a bedside stand, and the FM radio daily as well. I now use TuneIn Radio Pro for local radio stuff and it works just as well, just pulls more on the battery since it's using data instead of native FM.

Speaking of battery... my EVO wasn't bad, especially with the correct settings, but the Samsung just rocks! It's definitely better than the EVO. I'm using these battery packs 2000mAh Battery SPRINT EPIC TOUCH 4G GALAXY S II I9100 SAMSUNG Vibrant S t959 Verizon Fascinate AT&T Captivate i897 I had great luck their 1900mah packs for my evo, and have had good luck with the 2000mah packs with the Samsung so far.

Best thing about the Samsung is it's just freakin' blazing fast! And don't let the screen resolution scare you off (when compared to some of the newer ones coming out) - it looks crisp and clear and vibrant! Sound out of the speakers is better than the EVO. The Camera is WAY better. I had gotten used to using Camera360 on the EVO, but I seriously think the stock camera on the Samsung is better.

Sense UI vs. Touchwiz is a toss up. I'm currently using ADW Launcher EX and it works well.

Long story made short... I started out with the standard black one and exchanged it for the white version. The white one is much less slippery in the hand than the black one. It also shows fingerprints and smudges much less than the black version.

For what it's worth... I love(d) my EVO, but I'd never go back.
    01-30-2012 11:31 PM
    Im in the same boat rather should i get the evo 3d again or go for the gs II epic touch and i heard its a hot phone just idk if most of the issues has been fixed with LOS and such and im looking foward to rooting it as well. If anyone has any thoughts it would be helpful but on 1 note im liking the specs more on the epic touch more so then the evo 3d
    01-31-2012 09:19 AM
    LOS was cured with the last update.
    01-31-2012 09:55 AM
    I made the jump from the Evo 4g to the E4GT a few weeks ago. I loved the Evo, but the E4GT is a huge upgrade in terms of speed and screen.

I actually find the Epic Touch to be to thin, however. It always feels like I'm going to drop it. So I bought a kickstand case to bring back the girth and kickstandability of the Evo.
    01-31-2012 10:11 AM
    I too went from the Evo to the Epic Touch. Words cannot describe the difference. I rooted and romed my Evo and i loved it until i recently just couldn't put up with it's little quirks anymore. The biggest thing for me, and i am not even that big of a gamer on my phone, was the inability to play basic games on my Evo. Things like Cut the Rope would make it crash eventually or running Nav sometimes restarted it. I haven't rooted my SGSII yet and really almost don't want to. It just works and since getting it in December I've seen it get minor updates. It's noticeably bigger than the Evo but it's much much lighter in the pocket. In fact, sometimes you can't even tell it's there because it's so light compared to the Evo.
    01-31-2012 12:38 PM
    Gotten the evo 3d and going to return it for the epic touch for sure..After seeing someones ep touch the evo 3d looks like a drag even tho they both dual cores but the touch surpasses it in every level. The evo 3d felt laggy and sluggish and just after 1 day i cant take no more
    02-02-2012 12:47 AM
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!! after exchanging for the evo 3d to the epic touch i dont think htc sense can catch my eye again..FULLY loving the galaxy series now this phone blows the evo 3d out the water by miles and really think ima start sticking to the galaxys from now on..Dont get me wrong the evo 3d is a good phone but this beast is on a totally new level of android
    02-02-2012 11:22 AM
    I just picked up the GS2 last night after having an EVO 4G for approximately a year. I've been really happy with the EVO, and other than battery life, it's been a super phone. However, in the short time I've been playing with the GS2, I'm noticing it's quite a bit faster in executing apps and commands. Battery life seems to be 100x better than the EVO also. So far, so good in the first 24 hours of GS2 life.
    02-02-2012 11:46 AM
    I just picked up the GS2 last night after having an EVO 4G for approximately a year. I've been really happy with the EVO, and other than battery life, it's been a super phone. However, in the short time I've been playing with the GS2, I'm noticing it's quite a bit faster in executing apps and commands. Battery life seems to be 100x better than the EVO also. So far, so good in the first 24 hours of GS2 life.
    I agree man... Overall its a pretty sick phone i could go 2 years with it and ive never said that about phones but for sure it could hold me over untill im ready to switch to another samsung galaxy thats right for me
    02-02-2012 01:29 PM
    I had the Evo, and got 14 replacments in the 15 months I owned it, screens messing up, and needing replacement. 4G would fry or not turn off and then be in search constantly and drain the battery. Once I got one that worked and lasted I liked the phone, but it had e for space on it, and always seemed to turn into a hotplate anytime heavy data, even wifi, or esp when it was on 4g/GPS while plugged in the car, and when I was charging while using 4G/GPS the phone would not seem to have good battery life until I cooled it with my AC. I'm not saying the Evo is a bad phone, but I had a less then stellar track record, I thought I had some kind of EMP problem with my body at one point since they just kept breaking.

After a lot of consideration and looking I went with the epic. Have not looked back at all.
    02-06-2012 01:38 PM
    I had the Evo, and got 14 replacments in the 15 months I owned it, screens messing up, and needing replacement. 4G would fry or not turn off and then be in search constantly and drain the battery. Once I got one that worked and lasted I liked the phone, but it had e for space on it, and always seemed to turn into a hotplate anytime heavy data, even wifi, or esp when it was on 4g/GPS while plugged in the car, and when I was charging while using 4G/GPS the phone would not seem to have good battery life until I cooled it with my AC. I'm not saying the Evo is a bad phone, but I had a less then stellar track record, I thought I had some kind of EMP problem with my body at one point since they just kept breaking.

After a lot of consideration and looking I went with the epic. Have not looked back at all.
    Nice and btw this is my first samsung galaxy S phone and for the epic touch to be the way it is i think ima make my next phone a samsung galaxy...Btw touchwiz is butter
    02-06-2012 02:48 PM
    Nice and btw this is my first samsung galaxy S phone and for the epic touch to be the way it is i think ima make my next phone a samsung galaxy...Btw touchwiz is butter
    I think it speaks highly that the only thing I can find my Evo did better was when I hit the unlock button on the Samsung there is a delay, on the Evo there wasn't...

oh and besides I put a Domokun charm on my Epic... can't beat that lol
    02-07-2012 06:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD