I cleaned my screen often because the Steinhill ultra clear screen protector does not work very well with oily fingers. Normally I just wet a paper towel and scrub it. I did that this morning and must have pushed some moisture into ear speaker above the word "samsung". The phone suddenly starts media scanning and wouldn't stop. I rebooted and for the first time I see the "car mode" that everyone is talking about.

I then shut down and it went into downloading mode and I was stuck there for and hour while I researched what to do. Sure enough all I had to do was vol down and power at the same time for about 10 seconds and it rebooted. This time it went into car mode when I plug in a Motorola car charger. Not only that, it thinks it is connected to a computer since MTP initialization is on. I unplugged it and turn on everything and ran it for a while to burn out all the moisture. About 4 hours after the initial moisture mishap, it starts to operate normally again.

I am rooted and running Caulk 2.8.1 so I was a little worry at first when I saw the download mode for the first time. Let me just say that this phone will NOT survive the way you apply those invisible shield screen protector with lots of water on the screen. The Steinhill just align and stick on BTW.

Did a little research on XDA and found some people said slight moisture cause similar problems too.
    01-30-2012 03:23 PM
    Yeah. Phones and water don't mix kinda like oil and water but the difference is smart phones cost hundreds of dollars to replace. I have never applied a wet screen protector because I'm deathly afraid of water damage which is not covered nit the insurance on most smart phones. Also don't take your in the bathroom when you shower cuz the moisture in the air causes trouble with some phones too.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    01-30-2012 04:37 PM
    i take mine into the bathroom all the time when i shower. Listen to music. No problems yet
    01-31-2012 09:07 AM
    If you did get water in it, you can try the rice-in-a-ziplock dehydration procedure. It works more often than not.

I'd recommend changing your screen cleaner. Paper towels can be abrasive, and leave more lint/fiibers than they clean up. Use a microfiber cloth.

Good luck.
    01-31-2012 11:17 AM
    Spray a light mist of Invisible Glass on a microfiber cloth and lightly wipe the screen.
    01-31-2012 11:31 AM
    Spray a light mist of Invisible Glass on a microfiber cloth and lightly wipe the screen.
    Bingo. And yeah I'd do the rice in a bag trick. Throw it in overnight and I bet your phone operates normally again, if it isn't already.
    01-31-2012 11:56 AM
    The guys name is Aquaholik. You cant ask an aquaholic to use a light mist! Thats like asking a crack addict to settle for rock candy.
    01-31-2012 02:07 PM
    The guys name is Aquaholik. You cant ask an aquaholic to use a light mist! Thats like asking a crack addict to settle for rock candy.
    LOL good catch. I hadn't even noticed the irony of a guy with the forums name aquaholik posting about a moisture problem.

01-31-2012 02:54 PM
    LOL good catch. I hadn't even noticed the irony of a guy with the forums name aquaholik posting about a moisture problem.

LMAO, good catch guys. The phone is fine after that initial mishap. Must have gotten the paper towel too wet and scrub too hard forcing the water into that earpiece speaker. Microfiber is a good suggestion but I go thru so many cleaning my sunglasses from saltwater spray.
    01-31-2012 05:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD