I have a few questions about group texting. I am using the E4GT with stock gingerbread (2.3.6), unrooted, and Go Launcher Ex.

1 - Whether I begin in contacts (navigate to groups and long press the group then click send message, or tap the group then tap menu and "send message") or the stock messaging app (tap compose and then select a group) , it doesn't seem like there's an easy way to quickly text only cell numbers for that group. With either method it gives you the option to check all contacts in that group to send the message to, but many of the contacts default to home phone numbers instead of cell phone numbers (even for contacts with both), and email addresses are included as choices. I don't want to text landlines and I'm not sure what texting an email address would, but isn't there a way to quickly text ONLY cell phone numbers in a contact group?

For example, I'm a coach and a game gets rained out, how can I quickly text parents without having to text them all one at a time or manually check each contact (avoiding the email addresses listed) and toggle which contact number to use? It just seems like you should be able to do this with Touchwiz and I'm missing it.

2 - With Go Launcher EX using the contact widget, wouldn't it be cool if you could long press the contact group name on the widget and it gives you the option to "send email/text to all"? Is there some other method in Go Launcher EX to set this up?

3 - If I can't accomplish 1 or 2, how can I select more than 10 contacts to send a text message to? It seems to limit you to 10.

I realize there are possible workarounds and potentially this is possible with Go SMS (I seem to remember seeing an option to set up a contact group when I used it on my NS4G), but I'm just curious if there is a way to accomplish this in TouchWiz or with Go Launcher EX's contact widget.

Thanks for the help.
    02-01-2012 09:49 PM
    Bump
    02-02-2012 06:28 PM
    Geez, anyone have any ideas?
    02-05-2012 09:54 PM
    Tyhart - the masses must be recovering from the Super Bowl...

A bunch of android messaging apps (GroupMe, ChompSMS, Handcent, etc...)will get you around the limit, which I think is carrier-specific, though I'm not sure. (Mine was 10, but I'm on Sprint.)

Also, you may want to consider a web-based solution. Some of my sports teams have used rainedout.com. You set everything up on a desktop, and then manage the group through your cell. Seems to work well (I guess it started with notifiying everyone about rained out events. There are lots of groups: parents, refs, coaches, players, groundscrew, trainers, etc.) I haven't been on the admin side, but have been in the groups. Ad-supported so no fees.

Good luck.
    tyhart44 likes this.
    02-06-2012 03:38 PM
    Tyhart - the masses must be recovering from the Super Bowl...

A bunch of android messaging apps (GroupMe, ChompSMS, Handcent, etc...)will get you around the limit, which I think is carrier-specific, though I'm not sure. (Mine was 10, but I'm on Sprint.)

Also, you may want to consider a web-based solution. Some of my sports teams have used rainedout.com. You set everything up on a desktop, and then manage the group through your cell. Seems to work well (I guess it started with notifiying everyone about rained out events. There are lots of groups: parents, refs, coaches, players, groundscrew, trainers, etc.) I haven't been on the admin side, but have been in the groups. Ad-supported so no fees.

Good luck.
    Big help, thanks. I'll check out the rainedout.com solution if for no other reason than to get around the limit of 10 contacts.

That said, can anyone explain why texting a group gives you options to text email addresses and landlines (you often have to toggle to the mobile number)? Is there a setting I am missing because it seems like a pretty basic concept?
    02-07-2012 12:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD