Despite Samsung's recent go ahead for the acquisition of Motorola's many patents, I've lately been wondering about what the future holds for our phone regarding updates. First the loss of the bounce, then the scrolling wallpapers, if this Apple patent suit madness continues, it could forever change the nature of what an update means. Instead of asking how will my phone be better, we will always fear which existing features will be taken away.
    02-17-2012 07:59 AM
    Despite Samsung's recent go ahead for the acquisition of Motorola's...
    Google is acquiring Motorola, not Samsung. However, any patent gains they get from Moto for Android will likely be "shared" with other manufacturers of Android phones.

Sammy has a poor track record in timely updates. With ICS, it looks like they might be first out of the gate for phones. This is a nice change. Don't hold your breath on Jellybean, as the S3 will likely be out by then and the S2 will no longer be their flagship device. If you want it all, consider rooting and Cyanogen Mod, etc.. Sammy is in the business of selling phones, and keeping you too happy with your "old" device would delay you in buying the latest and greatest from them.
    02-17-2012 08:16 AM
    Oops, I meant Google not Samsung

Since this is my fourth Sammy phone (and three TVs) I'm always happy to buy their latest and greatest. They truly make the stuff of dreams. But when they start pulling features and calling it an update, I have to consider the other phone options that are out there.

But not the TVs, I'll stick with those. :P
    02-17-2012 01:44 PM
    lol you guys really need to get over the damn scrolling wallpaper already! most phones have even worse gps and location issues after the EL29 fiasco yet all I see most of you complaining about is the #$*(ing scrolling wallpaper
    02-17-2012 02:23 PM
    Why do I have to get over the scrolling wallpaper I purchased a few apps that require it and now don’t work and enjoyed that feature even with stock wallpaper, I bought the phone with it and I am disappointed it was taken away for what appears to be no proven reason? Sorry if it bothers you that some of us like it and I understand you don’t care about it but people, phones, and the way wallpaper works are different.
    02-17-2012 07:02 PM
    Why do I have to get over the scrolling wallpaper I purchased a few apps that require it and now dont work and enjoyed that feature even with stock wallpaper, I bought the phone with it and I am disappointed it was taken away for what appears to be no proven reason? Sorry if it bothers you that some of us like it and I understand you dont care about it but people, phones, and the way wallpaper works are different.
    Well, if the leaked videos of those official early ICS updates for our phone are anything to go by, then we should get the cure for the circle scrolling wallpapers. In those videos they demonstrate the animation you encounter when you get to the first and last homescreen, same for the first and last screen in the app drawer. In both cases, the contents of that screen turn and sort of lean to the side indicating it's the end of the road. Will we get that in the final build? I hope so!

As far as the bounce.... I actually like the blue glow better, but that's just me.
    02-17-2012 10:14 PM
    I prefer bounce but the blue glow is fine so that replacement is ok but others may hate it, my point was we are all different and no I am not going to through the phone out because I lost a feature but would be happy to see it (Scrolling Wallpaper) return in some form.
    02-18-2012 08:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD