02-28-2012 05:43 PM
51 123
tools
    Here's my Burning Question:

With the ICS upgrade, WILL MY GALAXY S2 BE ABLE TO GRAB AND HOLD A GPS SIGNAL SO THAT GOOGLE NAVIGATION WILL WORK RELIABLY AND CONSISTENTLY??

That is the one weak spot of this otherwise great smartphone.
    That isn't just your burning question, a lot of people are having this issue. As stated before, about 50% of user's GPS work on the leaks. This will probably change before the release.
    02-23-2012 01:51 PM
    Ever think that perhaps it's the software and not the phone?
    02-23-2012 04:10 PM
    I just discovered that the magenta notification light works with Handcent. I don't think it worked before, though I could be wrong.
    02-23-2012 04:17 PM
    Download GPS status, it's worked great for me in solving my GPS problems
    02-23-2012 04:22 PM
    My gps has been flawless from the start. Looking forward to ICS mostly ICS roms.
    02-23-2012 10:24 PM
    newbie question
    HOw come our phone won't be the ICS blue but a dull grey?
    02-24-2012 12:12 AM
    newbie question
    HOw come our phone won't be the ICS blue but a dull grey?
    The final look is all up to Samsung.
    acadialover likes this.
    02-24-2012 12:58 AM
    Yeah Samsung has opted to keep most if not all of their Touchwiz theme, for better or for worse.
    02-24-2012 03:19 AM
    Yeah Samsung has opted to keep most if not all of their Touchwiz theme, for better or for worse.
    I don't know if this is true, I mean if you were a developer wouldn't you leave the cosmetics till last? I would make sure everything works then worry about changing the colors to blue. I think they will keep tw launcher 4.0 though but they will probably change the color from green to blue.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    02-24-2012 07:30 AM
    I don't know if this is true, I mean if you were a developer wouldn't you leave the cosmetics till last? I would make sure everything works then worry about changing the colors to blue. I think they will keep tw launcher 4.0 though but they will probably change the color from green to blue.

No doubt there will be changes between what we've seen and we're getting. Samsung does seem to make an effort to let ICS shine through a little bit as evident by the lock screen and by the phone answer and alarm dismiss screens.

Only time will tell, hopefully it won't be too much longer. Seeing the difference between FB09 and FB17 is encouraging, they seem to be making rapid progress. Maybe another rom will leak this weekend?
    02-24-2012 09:02 AM

Normally I would agree with you dtm, as what you say does make a lot of sense. But I use the International GS2 as a proxy for what's going to happen on our phone, and they have seen 8 ICS build leaks, with the first on Dec 20th and the last on Feb 9th. The International GS2 is well ahead of our phone on ICS development, and will almost certainly see an official update before we do. I guess my point is, if Samsung was going to theme more stock ICS into their Touchwiz ICS ROM, I think we would have seen it by now for that phone. Unless they're saving it to the last minute with a big "SURPRISE!" heh. Wishful thinking.

For those willing to root and flash custom ROMs and themes, it's a non-issue really. Overstew and ssconceptz already have an amazing ICS theme for the stock ICS ROM. When it's done and with the right launcher, you will barely be able to tell it's a Touchwiz ROM. Also, assuming CM9 comes to pass for our phone, we'll have a full AOSP option. But for your average owner, I suspect what we're seeing now is going to be very close to what is officially released. I personally think Touchwiz is nice looking, but it's disappointing that they didn't build more of the ICS look into the updated ROM and launcher.
    02-24-2012 11:40 AM
    Normally I would agree with you dtm, as what you say does make a lot of sense. But I use the International GS2 as a proxy for what's going to happen on our phone, and they have seen 8 ICS build leaks, with the first on Dec 20th and the last on Feb 9th. The International GS2 is well ahead of our phone on ICS development, and will almost certainly see an official update before we do. I guess my point is, if Samsung was going to theme more stock ICS into their Touchwiz ICS ROM, I think we would have seen it by now for that phone. Unless they're saving it to the last minute with a big "SURPRISE!" heh. Wishful thinking.
    Haha you are totally right and I thought about using the international GSII as a counter argument. I am optimistic though that samsung will pull through on this, if samsung doesn't encorporate ICS into TW then they are almost completely defeating ICS. The only difference the average user will see between gingerbread and ICS is a different settings menu. You are probably right, I do have wishful thinking lol.

02-24-2012 11:46 AM
    realistically, they probably won't change Touchwiz too much because it wouldn't make sense from their perspective. They already have Touchwiz on all our phones and people are used to it. Most consumers aren't like us and would flip if their phone completely changed after an update.
    02-24-2012 12:50 PM
    Only time will tell, hopefully it won't be too much longer. Seeing the difference between FB09 and FB17 is encouraging, they seem to be making rapid progress. Maybe another rom will leak this weekend?
    FB21 just leaked yesterday. I flashed it but have seen no noticeable changes from FB17. If you want to keep an eye on build versions, just pull up the RDF page and change the number in the build version to the day of the week. That will tell you that a leak may be imminent (or not, you never know).

So, http://device.sprintpcs.com/Samsung/SPH-D710/FB21.rdf is the latest.

Changing 21 to 22, 23, or 24 (days of the month in February ... F=2012, B=February) come up with a 404 Not Found error, so it means no new builds were posted. When a new RDF does hit, a leak usually follows a few days later, if at all, but the spigot has been pretty wide open lately. Hopefully they don't call in a plumber.

Edit - A new RDF hit today, so 24 will now bring up a page.
    02-24-2012 01:30 PM
    realistically, they probably won't change Touchwiz too much because it wouldn't make sense from their perspective. They already have Touchwiz on all our phones and people are used to it. Most consumers aren't like us and would flip if their phone completely changed after an update.
    Well true but twlauncher was overhauled pretty good between froyo and gingerbread. I don't know how many guys here had the og epic but the twlauncher on froyo sucked big time, I actually run the stock tw launcher on my phone now. If it wasn't made by samsung and was a 3rd party launcher I bet it would be successful in the market.
    02-24-2012 02:07 PM
    Edit - A new RDF hit today, so 24 will now bring up a page.
    Crap I just got 21 working last night after slaving on it all evening after work! Maybe I'll skip 24 Unless there are tons of noticeable changes.
    02-24-2012 03:12 PM
    Crap I just got 21 working last night after slaving on it all evening after work! Maybe I'll skip 24 Unless there are tons of noticeable changes.
    Haha! It's probably going to be like this for awhile. My advice is not to slave over any of these builds, until it looks like we're getting close to the final product. I'm personally putting very little time into setting these builds up, and I'm only running a few essential Apps. It makes moving to new builds much cleaner and easier. If I need my phone to be fully functional I'm a restore of my EL29 setup away. Then it's back to flashy flashy happy time!
    02-24-2012 03:31 PM
    Okay, quick change of topic. I have discovered two possible problem apps on my phone causing a battery leak. Option 1 is the launcher app. Option 2 is Widget locker. Does anyone have experience with either of these causing battery problems?
    02-24-2012 03:50 PM
    Haha! It's probably going to be like this for awhile. My advice is not to slave over any of these builds, until it looks like we're getting close to the final product. I'm personally putting very little time into setting these builds up, and I'm only running a few essential Apps. It makes moving to new builds much cleaner and easier. If I need my phone to be fully functional I'm a restore of my EL29 setup away. Then it's back to flashy flashy happy time!
    You're the man as always! Thanks for the link to help me track what build they're on. You said you didn't notice any difference between the old one and 21, how about the stuttering you described when using live wallpapers, is that still there? Either way, hopefully we'll get our update soon, it will make waiting for the GS3 a bit more bearable!
    02-26-2012 11:35 AM
    Yeah I'm still experiencing homescreen stuttering on this build. It's random and I don't know what triggers it or fixes it. It just comes and goes. I do think it has to do with wallpaper selection though, as it never stutters with live wallpaper.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    02-26-2012 11:57 AM
    Yeah I'm still experiencing homescreen stuttering on this build. It's random and I don't know what triggers it or fixes it. It just comes and goes. I do think it has to do with wallpaper selection though, as it never stutters with live wallpaper.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    How about the different modems, did you also experience low data speeds with the last build and higher ones with the 21? I was in San Diego last July, and I must say, awesome Sprint coverage! You're lucky to live there just from that respect, nevermind the great climate. If I get 0.8 Mbits/s I am ecstatic, and if I make it to 1 I jump for joy. No 4G in my area either. Wish Sprint was as good as in San Diego everywhere!
    02-26-2012 02:03 PM
    looks like there is now talk of fb27? Looking forward to yet another video!
    02-27-2012 05:17 PM
    How about the different modems, did you also experience low data speeds with the last build and higher ones with the 21? I was in San Diego last July, and I must say, awesome Sprint coverage! You're lucky to live there just from that respect, nevermind the great climate. If I get 0.8 Mbits/s I am ecstatic, and if I make it to 1 I jump for joy. No 4G in my area either. Wish Sprint was as good as in San Diego everywhere!
    I haven't noticed any changes either way with the different modems regarding voice or data signal stregnth.

Yeah San Diego does have nice Sprint voice and 3G coverage, but we don't have 4G either, oddly enough. Clearwire did get some towers up, but they're not official and are not listed on Sprint's coverage map. They were probably put up just to keep their FCC licenses. Sprint kept saying "soon" and it never happened. I did pick up a weak 4G signal in the Sprint store near my office one day though heh. I think they ran into challenges with the nature of San Diego's landscape, as we have a ton of peaks and canyons all over the county. So they put their money into markets where it was easier to deploy. That's my guess anyways ... who knows. Hopefully Sprint makes up for their false promises with getting us LTE early on in the build out, but I'm not holding my breath.
    02-28-2012 12:00 PM
    I haven't noticed any changes either way with the different modems regarding voice or data signal stregnth.

Yeah San Diego does have nice Sprint voice and 3G coverage, but we don't have 4G either, oddly enough. Clearwire did get some towers up, but they're not official and are not listed on Sprint's coverage map. They were probably put up just to keep their FCC licenses. Sprint kept saying "soon" and it never happened. I did pick up a weak 4G signal in the Sprint store near my office one day though heh. I think they ran into challenges with the nature of San Diego's landscape, as we have a ton of peaks and canyons all over the county. So they put their money into markets where it was easier to deploy. That's my guess anyways ... who knows. Hopefully Sprint makes up for their false promises with getting us LTE early on in the build out, but I'm not holding my breath.
    For some reason I thought I had 4g when I was there, hm, maybe it was just fast 3g. Anyways, any word on fb27? I read about it on xda, but that thread went crazy fast and I haven't kept track anymore.
    02-28-2012 01:40 PM
    For some reason I thought I had 4g when I was there, hm, maybe it was just fast 3g. Anyways, any word on fb27? I read about it on xda, but that thread went crazy fast and I haven't kept track anymore.
    A FB27 RDF went up but no leak as of yet. Which is probably a good thing. We need to get more space between these builds to actually see some meaningful improvements. FB17 --> FB21 made no meaningful progress from what I could tell.
    02-28-2012 03:28 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD