Having Battery Problems?? Read this post!

jeff1974w

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I purchased a brand new, in the box, factory sealed Samsung Epic Touch 4g last week and I have had nothing but problems with the terrible battery life.

Yesterday I decided to take the battery out of the phone and take a close look at it. I read everything on the battery, and then I noticed something odd......1500mah............wait that cant be right???

So i went onto samsungs site for the phone specs. I read the phone has a 1800mah battery, thats what I thought it should have. So i went to a local sprint store. I explained everything to the saleslady, and she was nice enough to open a brand new, sealed phone for me. It had a 1500mah battery. So she opened another and it had a 1800mah battery.

Something funny is going on here!!!
It seems to make sense to me that if the phone should have a 1800mah battery and only has a 1500mah battery, that could explain the random shutdowns and quick battery drain.

Needless to say I have purchased the Mugen Slim 1950mah slim extended battery, and hopefully this will resolve the problems.

So check your battery mah........maybe this is why we're having problems!
I have reserved the next post for a update/review of the phone with the mugen battery.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Wow. Sounds like a batch of phones shipped with the wrong battery. That sounds like the battery for the Epic 4G, not the Touch. Yeah it'd probably be good idea for anyone who bought this phone within the last month or so to check their battery.

I assume you're having Sprint ship you the 1800 battery as well? If not you should.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Wait... This is crazy. I just checked my phone and it has the 1500 battery as well. I am about to call Sprint.

When did you buy your phone?

Edit - Also, can you post a picture of your 1500mAH battery? I'd be interested in seeing the details on the sticker.

Last edited:

jeff1974w

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Where did you purchase this battery and for how much? I want a more powerful battery but I don't want some big bulky thing in my phone.

i got it on ebay. its 1950mah slim battery so you dont have to replace the door. got it for $40.95 w/free shipping.

jeff1974w

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Wow. Sounds like a batch of phones shipped with the wrong battery. That sounds like the battery for the Epic 4G, not the Touch. Yeah it'd probably be good idea for anyone who bought this phone within the last month or so to check their battery.

I assume you're having Sprint ship you the 1800 battery as well? If not you should.

i did. since i dont have the insurance, they want $35 for a new battery, thats why i just bought the mugen.

jeff1974w

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
heres some pics of the battery that came with the phone
DSCN0306.jpg

DSCN0305.jpg

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
i did. since i dont have the insurance, they want $35 for a new battery, thats why i just bought the mugen.

That's unacceptable. You just bought the phone, and it came with the wrong battery. You shouldn't have to pay a penny for the one that should have shipped with the phone. If it were me, I would be all over Sprint until they swapped the battery out for the correct one. They would grow to hate me until I got what I paid for.

Where did you buy the phone out of curiosity? Is this why they're not just swapping it out? Because you bought it from another retailer?

Also, thanks for the pics but they're too blurry to read.

Reactions: Slingbox

jeff1974w

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
That's unacceptable. You just bought the phone, and it came with the wrong battery. You shouldn't have to pay a penny for the one that should have shipped with the phone. If it were me, I would be all over Sprint until they swapped the battery out for the correct one. They would grow to hate me until I got what I paid for.

Where did you buy the phone out of curiosity? Is this why they're not just swapping it out? Because you bought it from another retailer?

Also, thanks for the pics but they're too blurry to read.

ya, sorry for the pic being blurry, i took several and this was the best of the bunch.
I bought it new online from a sprint retailer. the box was factory sealed and everything.

im going to contact samsung

HeadBlade911

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
This doesn't affect me but I got pissed reading how Sprint did some crap like this with the battery. All we want to do is get what we paid for. No more, no less. I am a Sprint customer and now I got to worry about things like this when and if I upgrade my EVO 4G.

Thanks for the info, sorry to hear this.

mike104393

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Speachless,

I purchased this phone about 5 months ago. About 3 months ago, I purchased a few extra spare batteries for the phone. In the process of replacing the stock battery with the extra, I did notice that my samsung stock indicated it was a 1500mhz. Seeing this did make me pause for a second because I had thought that the phone was shipped with a 1800mhz battery. Unfortunately, I was so busy that day that the thought of checking back on the information slipped away. Now that you brought up this point with your post. I rechecked it and did notice that the battery was indeed a 1500mhz. Called sprint about this issue; Unfortunately, because I had this phone for so long. I have to pay for a replacement batter... ugh! Very nice eye by the way! I hope, if possible, this issue become big enough that I may receive a new battery without paying for a replacement.

acadialover

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
WHY would anyone have to pay for a new battery if the phone is supposed to have a stronger one and came with a lesser one ???
I have never heard of such CRAP.
maybe time for a very LOUD stink !!!

jeff1974w

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
i called samsung yesterday and they said there is no way the phone shipped with a 1500mah battery and that sprint should have caught the issue. sprint wont do anything for me since i dont have the insurance on the phone and wants me to pay the $35 for a new battery, hence the reason i bought the mugen 1950 battery for a couple of dollars more. my new battery should be here this week and hopefully resolve my problem.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site

I naturally wnet into a panic when I saw this as I got my E4GT at the beginning of this month. Mine came with the 1800 battery luckily.

wkufan92

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Update... As I stated earlier, my Epic 4G Touch came with the 1500 battery. I went to my sprint CORPORATE store this morning. They immediately gave me the 1800 battery and let me keep the 1500 battery!

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Update... As I stated earlier, my Epic 4G Touch came with the 1500 battery. I went to my sprint CORPORATE store this morning. They immediately gave me the 1800 battery and let me keep the 1500 battery!

Now that's what I'm talking about. Very nice.

It definitely appears that this issue is not very widespread, which is a very good thing, but it still boggles the mind a bit. It makes me wonder what "factory sealed" really means. Maybe the phones and batteries are shipped to the US and Sprint does the packaging and boxing, which is possibly where the error is taking place? I don't know anything about the process, but ...

they said there is no way the phone shipped with a 1500mah battery and that sprint should have caught the issue

makes me think Sprint handles the packaging.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2