Anyone else using FoxFi, hotspot no root (has support for us now)

E_Cross

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I really like it, been using it with my wifi only tablet from my phone, since at work I am on a client site and don't like to access anything not "normal"

I have the free version, any advantages to paying aside from support (and well if they ban the app, you can usually download it later, like with Klink that still works, I talk with the dev over email some). FoxFi didn't have support for our phone originally, I sent the dev a note and got a msg back last week that they fixed it.

I'm pretty excited, I didn't see anyone else put a post for the S2 Epic yet

kilen71

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Anyone else using FoxFi, hotspot no root (has support for us

Thanks for the info!!

I just installed this and tested it out with my Galaxy Tab 8.9

Works awesome so far!!

sko580

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

Just tried this with my Motorola Xoom and MacBook Pro and it works fine. The only concern I have is that when I use the app, not only do I get FoxFi icon on the top of the screen, I also get Sprint's Hotspot App.

I'll use it sparingly for now and see if I get billed.

E_Cross

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I have not had issue yet, but I will update.
if they were going to charge you, sprint hotspot would have to cycle on. Also according to a developer (read quote)
"I haven't yet looked at what that app does, but from the reviews, it sounds like it just turns on the built-in wifi mode that is sometimes hidden from the settings menu by carriers. If that's the case, it won't do anything about hiding IP packet TTLs; they will likely be one more than they should be because of the extra router hop from the wifi mode, so please be mindful of that. That said, Sprint doesn't seem to be doing anything about that right now, so it's probably alright."

Even if/when Spring picks up on this, there are still other methods and work arounds for achieving this. For right now I am going to use the app for about a month in it's free form, and then after a full battery of tests and making sure it is not flagged, I will spend the money for the paid one to support a good android dev, and also to ensure that even if the app is removed from the market I can get it direct in the future. I did that with Klink and Kevin (the dev) from there has always been super helpful and answered questions I've had about applications that are not even his.

E_Cross

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

Just tried this with my Motorola Xoom and MacBook Pro and it works fine. The only concern I have is that when I use the app, not only do I get FoxFi icon on the top of the screen, I also get Sprint's Hotspot App.

Email the Dev on that one, I have not seen that on any of the 12 devices I've played with it on (although not all worked, but ya still never seen that happen on a phone where it worked, on my S2 it used to pop the sprint hotspot app before one update, and then after the last 2 revisions it has worked fine without that). I think a coworkers droid (no idea what model) may have done the same.

Been playing around with it on co-workers phones and some of the Dev phones we have here, as well as some other apps. :)

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

Same thing happened on my E4GT. When I clicked on the Sprint Hotspot notification, and it took me to the hidden sprint-hotspot screen, where it did not let me enable sprint's hotspot feature saying I did not pay for it. However FoxFi hotspot worked fine. Still I am little wary of this app and need to be watchful if I get charged anything extra by sprint.

E_Cross

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

Don't worry to much taylormah every carrier that started enforcing and charging when people were bypassing oem hotspot and using third party usually will send out a warning. The best thing to do if they charge you is to do what I plan on saying to Sprint, the customer rep in store told me about the app, which he did, and said you already pay for unlimited data, use it. People that work in retailers shouldn't tell you that stuff and then hand you their biz cards...

fcjr77

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site

I have been using the app on my phone for a few weeks with my Galaxy Tab 10.1. I checked my account and it doesn't show any data usage as a hotspot so far. I should be getting my bill for last month and will see if they actually charged anything. If they do I will say that I hadn't added the hotspot on my account. Hopefully there aren't any charges because this app works great.

Sdn2995

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

I'm glad I checked the forums. I did not know about this app. Already downloaded it. It works just fine I will use it and see what my bill looks like. If there is no hotspot on it then I will get the paid version to support the dev for making an app that truly embraces what android can do.

MattN03

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

I'm glad I checked the forums. I did not know about this app. Already downloaded it. It works just fine I will use it and see what my bill looks like. If there is no hotspot on it then I will get the paid version to support the dev for making an app that truly embraces what android can do.

x2. Thanks Android Central! :)

E_Cross

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I started getting the Sprint Hotspot icon popping, but when I open it, it says I need to configure it, and everything is greyed out. I emailed the Devs and pointed that out.

I had some ideas for them, after a coworker got it and picked it apart :-D

I will let you know if we can do anything on our end, but I will have to get set up on market to put it up.

I've checked my Sprint Bill for last month and don't see anything, and checked again today.

I will keep this updated with any new info or if we decide to release something here at work for the hell of it.

fcjr77

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site

Just wanted to post a quick update as I received my bill and there was no charge for hotspot usage. Love this app.

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Just got an update for FoxFi, now also allows Bluetooth tethering.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

metroff1

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

This app is awesome!!!

I can't find any information on how to be able to purchase this app to support the developer and continue to receive updates if the app is removed from the market.

Does anyone know how to do this?

E_Cross

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

they used to have a pay version of it, strange I went to look just now and could not find it, if you want you can send an email to them and then paypal them some $

Knoidea513

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

best app ever!! this is all i ever wanted to root my phone for...now i dont have to root...awesssooome

Unibrow

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site

I actually sent the dev an email asking if I could paypal them some money but didn't get a response. I was also unable to get this to work on my wife's Nexus S 4g. Worked on my buddies Galaxy Nexus on VZ though.

E_Cross

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

just got this response back from the dev
"Please ignore the built-in hotspot icon. It doesn't really mean anything."

Reactions: kilen71

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member