I have a gash in my screen that is like someone dug the pointy part of a cut diamond across it, you can almost catch your finger nail on it completely.

has anyone else had theirs scratched?

ONLY thing I can think of is the edge of my Microtech or my benchmade infidel went across it when I had it in that pocket, but I've tried to find an edge that matches and would be able to do that. No dice

Never dropped on anything other the carpet.

Is my Gorilla glass actually spider monkey glass?
    03-02-2012 04:00 PM
    I have not seen them scratch easily myself on any of the galaxy s 2's. Something might have just hit yours just right.
    03-02-2012 04:11 PM
    I have a scratch on my screen just like the op described. I have no idea how it got there. I baby my phone, always put my phone in my left pants pocket (designated phone pocket). The scratch used to bother me but I got used to it. I was thinking of claiming insurance but I don't think a scratch is worth 100 dollar deductible.
    03-02-2012 04:41 PM
    I don't think it is gorilla glass. I went a few Weeks without a screen protector and I did get a little scratch on mine. I can't see it now that I put Steinheil screen protecter on it. I wish the glass was a little tougher as the screen looks great with nothing on it.
    03-02-2012 09:04 PM
    So far so good carrying mine in pocket without screen protector. Even let four year old play games on it regularly. I'm sure it can be scratched easily at the right angle. Just hope I don't find out too soon, my ocd couldn't take it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    03-02-2012 09:14 PM
    Trust me it is gorilla glass. There's a difference between scratch proof and resistant

Sent from my HTC EVO View using Tapatalk.
    03-02-2012 09:20 PM
    Its not gorilla glass. Gorilla Glass is very thick and heavy, hence the weight of the Evo and other HTC phones.

The Epic is not gorilla glass.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    03-02-2012 11:13 PM
    The epic is gorilla glass. The weight of HTC phones are due mostly to their metal body construction and not the actual glass. Gorilla glass is hard to scratch or break but not impossible. Anything can be nicked if the thing is sharp enough and just at the right angle with enough force...
    03-03-2012 01:14 AM
    Its not gorilla glass. Gorilla Glass is very thick and heavy, hence the weight of the Evo and other HTC phones.
    Where did you get this info? Source?

I'm positive it is. Anything harder than glass is going to scratch it. Concrete/sand particles etc. will easily put a nice scratch in it. My friends phone with Gorilla glass (not a GS2) has about a 3/4" scratch that he didn't even know was there until I pointed it out. Then he tried to say it wasn't a scratch for about 5 minutes of trying to rub it off, he was shocked lol.

Sent from my SGS2 via Tapatalk
    03-03-2012 10:03 AM
    Here's Corning's website which lists all products with Gorilla Glass.

http://m.corninggorillaglass.com/smartphone/#_Products

Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant, not scratch proof.
    Andy357#AC likes this.
    03-03-2012 10:40 AM
    I stand corrected. Still love my screen protecter. I forget its even there most of the time.
    03-03-2012 01:00 PM
    Here's Corning's website which lists all products with Gorilla Glass.

http://m.corninggorillaglass.com/smartphone/#_Products

Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant, not scratch proof.
    This clears things up! Thanks.

Apparently its the original epic that doesn't have Gorilla Glass.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    03-04-2012 10:55 AM
    Mine has some minor scratches which is surprising. I really baby it. My Evo doesn't have any scratches but I think it's pure coincidence that this is the case. I can't see it when the device is on and its very minor that you really have to look for it
    03-04-2012 01:52 PM
    I also have the exact type of gash or deep scratch on my phone as well. I babied it all the time and kept it by itself in my front pocket. I also have no idea how I could have possibly got this scratch. I would love to know what could have scratched it that deep?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk
    03-04-2012 04:18 PM
    I don't think I or anyone was making proofed claims...
    I am just surprised that it got scratched like that as I've had many smart phones with Ape glass and hadn't had them scratched and carried them in an identical fashion. An event that would have a scratch run that deep would be something I would have noticed I would have thought. eh oh well.

nothing is really proofed of anything, just has a higher resistance. Know how I learned that as a young child?
    Combs and countless ohter things that had "-------Proof" in them, I took that as a challenge. Much to my parents shock my first pair of glasses had a bullet hole in them...

I still feel the need to test my 1000m watch, but lack the equipment to do such...
    03-05-2012 07:55 AM
    I don't think I or anyone was making proofed claims...

nothing is really proofed of anything, just has a higher resistance. Know how I learned that as a young child?
    Combs and countless ohter things that had "-------Proof" in them, I took that as a challenge. Much to my parents shock my first pair of glasses had a bullet hole in them...

I still feel the need to test my 1000m watch, but lack the equipment to do such...
    Ok, off topic (kinda), but I've been wanting to take a 12ga to my Oakeys to verify the claims that they can take a blast from a 12ga (e.g. they really are shatterPROOF). Have not been able to find any takers.

On the watch... pressure cooker. (I know - Not quite as much fun as a 1000m dive.) Guess I had too much idle time in my youth.
    03-05-2012 01:43 PM
    nah I want to do something not just simulate it

it's not OT since I am posting about it, it's my post lol

Shotgun would depend on the load, I have a 12ga I'm willing to try it :-D now is it a particular oakley frame and lens combo or just any oakley in general?

If you ever get on CandlePower Forums surefire always jokingly said their anodizing was so hard it could saw through a maglite, and sure enough a guy actually tried it, and it worked. Mil-spec hard coat is some tough stuff.
    03-05-2012 02:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD