Hello all! I couldn't find a thread specifically related to the issues I am having with video. My son & were messing around and decided to see who has the better phone. He has iPhone 4S; Me, Sprints Epic Touch 4G.

Videos looked phenomenal on the 4S. EVERY last one of mine came out looking like someone attempted to record HD in SD. And this was without making any changes in settings. Even after making changes, there was no difference. The quality in all videos is atrocious and I don't know what to do to fix it.

Pictures taken with 4S looked natural. Pictures taken with ET4G for lack of a better description looked forced....as though more color was added then necessary. On his phone for example, if someone was wearing a navy blue shirt, it looked navy blue. On my phone the same shirt was bright blue taken from the same distance with the same settings- flash/no flash.

I have Vignette (paid version) and using that made the pictures better but did nothing for videos. I don't want to have to rely on a separate app for videos because out the box I shouldn't have to.

My past phones were Evo 4G & Motorola Photon and I had no issues with either of those when it came to pics or vids. From all the videos I've seen on Youtube regarding this phone, one would not think for a moment videos could look as bad as mine do.....in & outdoors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    03-03-2012 10:30 AM
    You may want to check your settings for picture and video quality. Most comparison tests showed the Galaxy S2 camera to be equal to or better than the iPhone 4.

If yours are really bad you may have a defective camera sensor, as this may be the first time I've seen a complaint about picture and video quality.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    03-03-2012 01:38 PM
    Thanks Jay. I've not seen any bad camera/video reviews before or after getting this phone. I've been through every setting and no matter what I do, my results are all the same.

Just finished doing a backup so looks like a Sprint trip is in order especially since I've only had it about a week.

Sent from my EPIC 4G TOUCH using Tapatalk
    03-03-2012 02:28 PM
    My wife has an iPhone and I the e4gt, I compared every aspect of these two when I bought ip4, my epic blows the iPhone away. The only thing I wish I could swap is the GPS. I do not agree with young scandelx. As far as pics go, there absolutely beautiful.
    03-04-2012 11:27 AM
    I have both... Iphone 4 and galaxy s2. Iphone 4 got 5mpx and galaxys2 got 8mpx...

But camera quality on my iphone is better than my galaxy s2
    03-04-2012 11:38 AM
    Then take your thumb off the lens of the Galaxy. Image quality is almost universally considered superior on the Galaxy compared to the iPhone (and yeah, that's saying something, as the iPhone's camera is one of the best).
    03-04-2012 03:15 PM
    Whats your resolution set to? It should be the highest. Also make sure your video mode is "long video" and not "video messaging".

My video looks great. The sound on the other hand could be a little better, but it's still ok.

I'll record a sample tomorrow.

Sent from my SGS2 via Tapatalk
    03-04-2012 07:08 PM
    I bought my wife the Iphone 4s about 2 weeks ago and I have to admit, side by side I'd give it to the 4s also. But that's completely subjective. Most reviews I've seen said my phone has equal if not better photos. I'll take the Samoled + over the retina any day, but in photos I prefer the more natural colors of the IPS.
    03-05-2012 03:27 PM
    The Epic camera is a pretty good camera for a phone. The newest iPhone is better for both video and stills. Maybe that's just my opinion, but that seems to be the case if you compare the output from the two.
    03-06-2012 09:29 AM
    Here's the video. It looks MUCH better on the AMOLED screen of the phone.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMysrdm_2tc[/YT]

and here's some sample pics I took the day I got my SGS2.

03-06-2012 02:14 PM
    My wife has an iPhone and I the e4gt, I compared every aspect of these two when I bought ip4, my epic blows the iPhone away. The only thing I wish I could swap is the GPS. I do not agree with young scandelx. As far as pics go, there absolutely beautiful.
    Thats ok knot. You can disagree as much as you like. Maybe your phone takes outstanding pics/video--mine on the other hand did not. Besides, my post wasn't an arguement to which one anyone thinks is better. The only reason I mentioned the iPhone here was because thats the phone my son uses when he & I decided to act like phone fans.....also, I got tired of hearing him saying teamiphone.

I have both... Iphone 4 and galaxy s2. Iphone 4 got 5mpx and galaxys2 got 8mpx...

I had my phone exchanged and so far pics/videos look a LOT better than they did on the previous phone. JayWill said I may have a defective camera sensor & since I couldn't find not one issue like mine throughout the web & all the forums I frequent, I was inclined to agree with him.

Whats your resolution set to? It should be the highest. Also make sure your video mode is "long video" and not "video messaging".

My video looks great. The sound on the other hand could be a little better, but it's still ok.

Thats just it. When anyone takes a brand new phone out the box, the last thing on your mind is resolution--at least it'd never been on any other phone I've had. But in answer to your question, every resolution was tried & nothing changed the horrendous quality of my pics/vids. In long video they were horrid & in video message they were worse than horrid.

I did run into a little snafu trying to get my phone replaced but that's another topic.

What I'd like to know is even after replacing, videos in video message are atrocious. The resolution cannot be changed. Long videos are now crisp & clear. Before leaving the store, I got the 5 employees with this phone to see what the quality of their video message looked like & theirs were as bad as mine. Had I not been in there about my phone they said they'd have never known.
    03-09-2012 03:08 AM
    Yeah, my Video Messanging quality is terrible as well. I think it's because it automatically compresses the video for an MMS. The Long Video is HD and too large to send, even over WiFi :rolleyes: you would think we coukd at least E-MAIL them over WiFi..

ScandaLeX likes this.
    03-10-2012 04:48 PM
    I can send long videos over wifi.... ?
    03-10-2012 10:13 PM
    Thats ok knot. You can disagree as much as you like. Maybe your phone takes outstanding pics/video--mine on the other hand did not. Besides, my post wasn't an arguement to which one anyone thinks is better. The only reason I mentioned the iPhone here was because thats the phone my son uses when he & I decided to act like phone fans.....also, I got tired of hearing him saying teamiphone.

I had my phone exchanged and so far pics/videos look a LOT better than they did on the previous phone. JayWill said I may have a defective camera sensor & since I couldn't find not one issue like mine throughout the web & all the forums I frequent, I was inclined to agree with him.

Thats just it. When anyone takes a brand new phone out the box, the last thing on your mind is resolution--at least it'd never been on any other phone I've had. But in answer to your question, every resolution was tried & nothing changed the horrendous quality of my pics/vids. In long video they were horrid & in video message they were worse than horrid.

I did run into a little snafu trying to get my phone replaced but that's another topic.

What I'd like to know is even after replacing, videos in video message are atrocious. The resolution cannot be changed. Long videos are now crisp & clear. Before leaving the store, I got the 5 employees with this phone to see what the quality of their video message looked like & theirs were as bad as mine. Had I not been in there about my phone they said they'd have never known.

Why don't you post some of your bad videos on here so we get a better idea of what your talking about?
    03-11-2012 08:21 PM
    Why don't you post some of your bad videos on here so we get a better idea of what your talking about?
    I will just as soon as I get a chance. The past few days have been nuts.

Sent from my rooted WHITE SGSIIE4GT via TapaTalk
    03-14-2012 05:02 AM
    Yeah, most long videos are to big to send via MMS, but I've been able to record in 1080 and upload to youtube or send as email to my friends. I personally feel like comparing to iphone you have to have a really keen eye to notice any huge differences. Its really unfortunate you've had a bad experience, because my phone gets used for recording on pretty much a daily basis...
    03-14-2012 08:50 AM
    Yeah, most long videos are to big to send via MMS, but I've been able to record in 1080 and upload to youtube or send as email to my friends. I personally feel like comparing to iphone you have to have a really keen eye to notice any huge differences. Its really unfortunate you've had a bad experience, because my phone gets used for recording on pretty much a daily basis...
    I haven't had a chance to upload anything to youtube as yet. My household is always busy & by the time I remember to do so, something else comes along to grab my attn.

Thanks Blitz. I did get it exchanged for a new one & videos on this one are much better. Short mail vids still look bad.

Since it was the same for every employee when they looked at theirs, I can only guess it's more widespread than we know about.

Sent from my rooted WHITE SGSIIE4GT via TapaTalk
    03-16-2012 09:54 PM
    The video isn't so bad when you change the resolution to full hd 1920x1080. I actually don't use my camcorder on a regular basis so I just now changed the resolution. Looks great to me.
    04-04-2012 01:01 PM
    I have taken allot of video in the last several months since buying my Epic 4G. Very happy, and the quality was crisps and really nice ! However, yesterday, I took a bunc of video .... one in the deep woods, and others of my dog fetching etc in a gorgeous park. When I looked at them today on my phone, I was shocked. Everyone taken yesterday looks sort of slightly shimmery and the features are slightly out of focus ! I am quite bummed and decided to ask your suggestions and was surprised to see this thread . I traded the ip4s for this epic because of the larger screen and I think that until yesterday the movies and pics on both phones are comparable. I had never gone into settings and have no idea what they all mean. I've always had it on long video. Any ideas why this would happen all of a sudden ? What should the "video quality ' be set to ?
    Thanks everyone.
    04-10-2012 02:41 AM
    Don't forget, if you record in video messaging mode, your regular length HD video resolution changes, as well. You'll have to manually reset it to 720 or 1080. Its a rainy day but I will post a comparison of 720 and video messaging mode. I keep my video settings on auto, with the video quality set to "superfine"

Here is the 720 video test
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMysrdm_2tc[/YT]

here's the messaging. (you have been warned )
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn52W1eXmxY[/YT]

Sent from my Samsung GS2 E4GT via Tapatalk 2.
    05-21-2012 12:27 PM
    Man I thank you for that advice for changing from video mail to long video. Now my videos look great but I wonder why does it look grainy when it's on video mail?

06-03-2013 04:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD