Any guess on ICS update date?

CandleStick69

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
I've been waiting for a post about this, wasn't the date March 1st?
I just got my E4GT and it's great, I just wish it had ICS.

Another question.. do you need to be rooted to run the leaked builds?

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, probably still a month or 2 away. Leaks are getting pretty stable but Sprint still has to test an approve.

You don't have to be rooted, it just makes it a lot easier. You can just odin the leaks over your current set up but that will not preserve any data. If you are rooted at least you can back up your app data and use clockworkmod to create a backup just incase you want to go back to gingerbread.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
March 1st was the rumored date for the International version. ICS development for that version is ahead of ours. I'd guess around mid April for our phone for an official OTA release.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Jay, I fixed my post.

Interestingly, Calkulin stated that the FC02 leak was pretty much perfect. I still think there will be a couple of fixes beyond FC02(maybe some stuff users won't notice) then we will see a release within a few weeks of a finalized version barring any setbacks from within the Sprint testing.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Jay, I fixed my post.

Interestingly, Calkulin stated that the FC02 leak was pretty much perfect. I still think there will be a couple of fixes beyond FC02(maybe some stuff users won't notice) then we will see a release within a few weeks of a finalized version barring any setbacks from within the Sprint testing.

Man I don't know how that's possible, unless they went into full bug fix mode over those 4 days. I'm most concerned about the Bluetooth stack. I still can't get my phone to pair with my Sony car stereo, and while it pairs with my Infiniti, Bluetooth FCs when I try to play audio.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Hmm, probably still a month or 2 away. Leaks are getting pretty stable but Sprint still has to test an approve.

You don't have to be rooted, it just makes it a lot easier. You can just odin the leaks over your current set up but that will not preserve any data. If you are rooted at least you can back up your app data and use clockworkmod to create a backup just incase you want to go back to gingerbread.

There's a .tar file over at XDA that allows you to flash ICS via Odin while keeping your data.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Yep, which is once again for the International version of the SGS2. We will likely find out the date of the update for the E4GT the day it starts rolling out. Sprint rarely if ever pre-announces firmware update dates. There's little doubt though that Sprint wants to be the first US SGS2 variant to have ICS. Also, since many of the ICS builds are leaking out, the development community will probably be able to tell when an official update is likely.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site

Yep, which is once again for the International version of the SGS2. We will likely find out the date of the update for the E4GT the day it starts rolling out. Sprint rarely if ever pre-announces firmware update dates. There's little doubt though that Sprint wants to be the first US SGS2 variant to have ICS. Also, since many of the ICS builds are leaking out, the development community will probably be able to tell when an official update is likely.

Just read that article and it said that info was on their FB page in Israel which leads me to believe that it's meant for the International version. Based on my personal experience, I never believe any dates for Android OS releases. I only get excited when stories come out confirming the update has already been pushed to people' s phones.

kingsway8605

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The person who has provided most of the ICS leaks thus far for our device posted a screencap of a final end-user ics tar file, so an ota should be expected this month. FC05 was the tar version.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
The person who has provided most of the ICS leaks thus far for our device posted a screencap of a final end-user ics tar file, so an ota should be expected this month. FC05 was the tar version.

Yeah I saw that, although it sounds like we may not get our hands on it until it's released. Why can't we all just get along and sing campfire songs ya know? Meh. Anyways ...

I still find it hard to believe though. Here's my thinking:

Okay let's assume the reports are correct and FC02 is darn near perfect. It's still only been 3 days since then, and today is the final build? I just don't buy that 3 days is enough testing time for Sprint to put the final stamp of approval on a full OS update. FB27 is certainly capable as a daily driver but it definitely has issues.

If FC02 leaks and I can test it I may change my views, but I'm just having a hard time accepting that today's build will be the final version.

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I saw that, although it sounds like we may not get our hands on it until it's released. Why can't we all just get along and sing campfire songs ya know? Meh. Anyways ...

I still find it hard to believe though. Here's my thinking:

Okay let's assume the reports are correct and FC02 is darn near perfect. It's still only been 3 days since then, and today is the final build? I just don't buy that 3 days is enough testing time for Sprint to put the final stamp of approval on a full OS update. FB27 is certainly capable as a daily driver but it definitely has issues.

If FC02 leaks and I can test it I may change my views, but I'm just having a hard time accepting that today's build will be the final version.

You are thinking that because, you are right. There is NO way sprint has tested this yet. I imagine that samsung with all their infinite resources plus having gone through everything already with the international version can get us a quality build quickly. The part that takes forever is getting Sprint to approve it, they are going to run through there own testing cycle and will report any bugs to samsung to fix, then run through their cycle again. I still stand by my original guess and that is a month or 2, I'm thinking April 26th (my bday). At least when the update pushes we will be able to see which build they chose; my gut feeling says that it won't be FC05. Plus then we will be able to see which end of the update process is slow, samsung or sprint?

Btw: Congratz on becoming an advisor Jay!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay