Any guess on ICS update date?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Btw: Congratz on becoming an advisor Jay!

Hehe thanks. Just doing what I enjoy doing.

Edit - Well I stand corrected on the leak part. Looks like FC05 will be hitting tonight.

Edit 2 - and a bit over 2 hours after I post that were probably not going to see a FC05 leak its on my phone lol. Funny how that works sometimes.

Last edited:

CandleStick69

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
hey guys thanks for the replies.
i can't wait for ics but at the same time, it's still touchwiz. :confused:

JayWill72, i would specially like to thank you because you are very helpful and informative I read your posts all over these forums
O:)

Reactions: JayWill

CtotheP

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
This will be great. ICS in April, then the LTE/NV upgrades from Sprint down the street from my in June.....lots of improvements to look forward to over the next few months!

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I do hope ICS comes to our phones soon. WIth the way the dev community is, I can see an official ICS ROM being made rather quickly.

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I do hope ICS comes to our phones soon. WIth the way the dev community is, I can see an official ICS ROM being made rather quickly.

Shoot with the way things are going(getting leaks the day after they are made), we could see a leak of the official release wayyyy before the release. There are already some good roms being made of the leaks. The only thing an official release brings us is source code and that helps with the custom kernels.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Shoot with the way things are going(getting leaks the day after they are made), we could see a leak of the official release wayyyy before the release. There are already some good roms being made of the leaks. The only thing an official release brings us is source code and that helps with the custom kernels.

This is what I'm hoping for actually. I've seen leak ROMs rather quickly but I want an official ROM where everything is gaurenteed to work as well as a rooted kernel with a recovery built in like I have now.

chrisharmful

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I just got my GSII yesterday and while talking to the guy at Best Buy Mobile about ICS, he said something about it being pushed between the 10th and the 15th. I told him I wasn't gonna hold my breath. The only "confirmed" date I've heard was for Israel.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I just got my GSII yesterday and while talking to the guy at Best Buy Mobile about ICS, he said something about it being pushed between the 10th and the 15th. I told him I wasn't gonna hold my breath. The only "confirmed" date I've heard was for Israel.

Smart move.....LOL

I take anything any rep (Best Buy or Sprint or anywhere) says with a grain of salt. I used to follow projected dates but usually came up disappointed. Now, the only time I believe anything that's said is when I see reports (and photos) of people actually getting the updates on their phones.

Last edited:

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
here is another video from our man qbking of fc05
Stock FC05 ICS leaked review on the Samsung Epic 4G Touch - YouTube

What I noticed are the lack of animations when going through homescreen and also that the infinite loop is back which will cause scrolling live wallpapers to not work. Also looks like people are still having gps issues but visual voicemail works.

Jaywill any more input from you since you're running that Rom? Do the homescreen still apply when you switch to the ics launcher?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

What I noticed are the lack of animations when going through homescreen and also that the infinite loop is back which will cause scrolling live wallpapers to not work. Also looks like people are still having gps issues but visual voicemail works.

Jaywill any more input from you since you're running that Rom? Do the homescreen still apply when you switch to the ics launcher?

Yeah, unfortunately the nice homescreen transition animations, as well as scrolling wallpaper in Touchwiz were removed as of two builds ago. I don't know why, but the TW launcher is reverting back closer, if not identical, to what you see now on the current firmware. Also, the Nexus and Microbes live wallpapers have been removed as of FC05. Very disappointing. The only sense I can make of it is they are continuing to struggle with getting it all to work together properly.

Scrolling wallpaper still works fine in the stock ICS launcher and other alternative launchers.

Regarding the build, they have definitely made progress. But it's not ready for a full release, and I continue to be hard pressed to believe we will see an OTA by the 15th, or even the end of the month. It's simply not ready. Here is an update on fixes and bugs ...

- Homescreen transition animation is gone
- Scrolling wallpaper is gone, and homescreens loop again
- Nexus and Microbes live wallpapers have been removed again
- Sprint Visual Voicemail has been fixed and no longer FCs when a notification comes in
- Sprint TV has been completely removed from the ROM. You can download it from the market, but you get an error message when trying to play a video.
- GPS is still having problems. When GPS is on, and you are in an area that cannot get a GPS signal when an app tries to use it, GPS gets stuck on even after you turn it off. This cranks the battery and causes drain. However, when GPS works, it locks and works well (for me so far anyways).
- There is a bug that causes Settings to FC when you click the battery graph
- The are now 6 bars in the signal image in the status bar, and all 6 are working (only 4 of 6 were woking on the previous build)
- WiFi is working well and auto connecting to my routers when I re-enter the network area
- I still can't get Bluetooth to pair with my Sony car stereo, where it works fine on GB ROMs.
- The battery percentage toggle works now, but it looks bad. The percentage is squished into the bottom of the battery image.
- The new FC05 modem looks really good so far. I'm getting record 3G speeds, but this could be a placebo.

I think that about covers my observations thus far. It still has a way to go. Also, I'm disappointed in the direction of Touchwiz. I was hoping to see more changes there. Hopefully the animations and scrolling wallpaper make a comeback before the final release.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I thought Sprint promised ICS for FQ 2012. March 30 is end of quarter, so shouldn't we be seeing it soon?

No, Sprint hasn't made any such promises as far as I know. They know better than to make promises when it comes to firmware updates (or anything for that matter).

CandleStick69

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site

I hope they don't take away the option to use the stock ICS launcher that would make me very happy.

Is the battery life better with ICS?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I hope they don't take away the option to use the stock ICS launcher that would make me very happy.

Is the battery life better with ICS?

I wouldn't say better from my unscientific observations, but its still very good.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, unfortunately the nice homescreen transition animations, as well as scrolling wallpaper in Touchwiz were removed as of two builds ago. I don't know why, but the TW launcher is reverting back closer, if not identical, to what you see now on the current firmware. Also, the Nexus and Microbes live wallpapers have been removed as of FC05. Very disappointing. The only sense I can make of it is they are continuing to struggle with getting it all to work together properly.

Scrolling wallpaper still works fine in the stock ICS launcher and other alternative launchers.

Regarding the build, they have definitely made progress. But it's not ready for a full release, and I continue to be hard pressed to believe we will see an OTA by the 15th, or even the end of the month. It's simply not ready. Here is an update on fixes and bugs ...

- Homescreen transition animation is gone
- Scrolling wallpaper is gone, and homescreens loop again
- Nexus and Microbes live wallpapers have been removed again
- Sprint Visual Voicemail has been fixed and no longer FCs when a notification comes in
- Sprint TV has been completely removed from the ROM. You can download it from the market, but you get an error message when trying to play a video.
- GPS is still having problems. When GPS is on, and you are in an area that cannot get a GPS signal when an app tries to use it, GPS gets stuck on even after you turn it off. This cranks the battery and causes drain. However, when GPS works, it locks and works well (for me so far anyways).
- There is a bug that causes Settings to FC when you click the battery graph
- The are now 6 bars in the signal image in the status bar, and all 6 are working (only 4 of 6 were woking on the previous build)
- WiFi is working well and auto connecting to my routers when I re-enter the network area
- I still can't get Bluetooth to pair with my Sony car stereo, where it works fine on GB ROMs.
- The battery percentage toggle works now, but it looks bad. The percentage is squished into the bottom of the battery image.
- The new FC05 modem looks really good so far. I'm getting record 3G speeds, but this could be a placebo.

I think that about covers my observations thus far. It still has a way to go. Also, I'm disappointed in the direction of Touchwiz. I was hoping to see more changes there. Hopefully the animations and scrolling wallpaper make a comeback before the final release.

Awesome sir, thanks for all your insight. Every new leak is like Christmas, hope they are going back to what touchwiz looked like in the older builds.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech