New to the Epic and what a phone. Wow. Specially coming from WEBOS. I keep backswipping and upswipping!!

This morning I went into Android market and downloaded 3 apps. Shortly after that, I was warned of an Android update to install, and so I did. I see that the android market app disappeared, and I have GooglePlay. Are those the same?

2) Those 3 apps that I downloaded, do not appear on the phone (as icons or in the applications list). In the googleplay webpage, they appear as installed on my phone. How can I reinstall them?

thank you

DISREGARD. I clicked on Installed APP on the webpage, and I was able to reinstall.
    03-07-2012 02:39 PM
    Welcome to Android! I'm also an ex-WebOS user, and while there's a learning curve, I think you'll quickly find you can do everything in Android that you can in WebOS, just differently.

The first thing I would do is read Milo's WebOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android.

It has some great resources to ease the transition for you and get you rolling. Also, check out the Epic 4G Touch Getting Started: Tips, Tricks, FAQ's & Tutorials stickied at the top of the forum.

Have fun and don't be too shy to ask questions. Lots of helpful folks around here.
    Biggnaa20 and nabril1569 like this.
    03-07-2012 04:54 PM
    And yes google play is now the Android market....or the other way around

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    nabril1569 likes this.
    03-07-2012 07:49 PM
    thanks. I know that these forums are always super helpful.

do I ignore the el29 update? I keep reading about issues after applying it.
    03-07-2012 08:51 PM
    thanks. I know that these forums are always super helpful.

do I ignore the el29 update? I keep reading about issues after applying it.
    There aren't really any big issues with it. There was an outrage, believe it or not, about the scrolling wallpaper being removed, but other than that everything has worked perfectly for me. One huge plus is that Carrier IQ was removed completely.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    nabril1569 likes this.
    03-08-2012 12:26 AM
    Welcome to the Android world! I too came from webOS. You'll be fine in no time.

JayWill's advice is spot on, as is his help, if needed.

qbking has some very good youtube videos you may find helpful as you get deeper in.

Good luck!
    nabril1569 likes this.
    03-08-2012 07:46 AM
    Ok, so i continue to explore this new awesome phone. Just dont do it while you drive !!!

1) I received an email this morning cancelling a meeting (from an Outlook EAS account), and of course I read it from the notification bar, and from the actual email app. Neither message had an option to remove said event from the calendar. Is that normal? Is there an email client that has that functionality?

2) Tied to number 1, my agenda widget and calendar showed CANCELLED: Meeting etc etc. In my calendar settings I have HIDE DECLINED EVENTS selected, so I ask why I see that cancelled meeting? Naturally, I dont want to see it.

3) By virtue of having added an EAS account, my company forces a password/pin/pattern to draw to unlock the phone. Is there a patch (sorry...still a Pre mentality) or something equivalent that can remove that requirement for the pin/pattern/pwd?

4) How do you copy and paste from an email (for example) to something else? is there an equivalent of ctrl c and v?
    03-08-2012 09:07 AM
    Glad you like your GS2 so far. For driving, I love CarHome Ultra. There are other similar apps.

1, 2 - I may not be of much help here, as we use Lotus Notes, not Outlook, so I'm comparing apples to oranges, but a couple suggestions for you to explore - The Missing Sync, CompanionLink (not cheap - $40/$50 respectively), Kies (already on your phone, but not the best/smoothest), talk your work into using Google Calendar.

3- There probably is, but why do you want to disable? And if you do, you're lalmost surely violating a company policy. You may want to proceed with caution here.

4- Tap where you want to start copying - a small blue house shape will appear, tap on it to get a pop-up box to select word or select all. Select word will highlight the word and split the house icon to the start and end of the word. You can drag them either way to highlight more as needed.

Hope this helps!
    nabril1569 likes this.
    03-09-2012 08:10 AM