03-22-2012 09:30 AM
45 12
tools
    sprint's crappy 4G is just fine by me. It's enough for me to watch YouTube videos in high quality and stream Netflix, and download apps when I need to so I don't have anything to complain about. I guess if you don't have sprint's 4G coverage in your area that's a different story.
    03-13-2012 05:01 AM
    Sprint just sucks in Wi!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    03-13-2012 03:03 PM
    I would rather pay a higher price just to get coverage. And it's official. My 4g coverage in areas where it was decent has now zero coverage. I'm always on the go, most people are these days, so getting coverage is a reaaalllyyy important part of LIFE!
    03-13-2012 03:16 PM
    I'm really beyond frustrated with Sprints terrible subpar data speeds in Honolulu! It's ridiculous and I never can use 4G and the 3g speeds are a joke. I barely get over 400kbs and it's pathetic. It's a shame because the phone is awesome and I love the camera so much. Don't know what to do.....

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk
    03-13-2012 11:31 PM
    I had to make the same tough choice, and leave Sprint!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    03-14-2012 07:32 AM
    Did you go with Verizon and what phone did you get?

03-14-2012 02:02 PM
    I'm thinking about it. Just got an epic touch after having the nexus s (whose reception was also subpar) so I'm not sure if it's just a samsung problem or if Sprint's network has really gotten this bad (at least in Santa Cruz, CA) but I consistently get around 250kbps on the speed test app. I very rarely see spikes up to around 450, but that's the absolute max. Then I come here and see people complaining about getting 7-800 and I feel really bad lol. To top it off, we STILL don't have wimax here and sprint is now switching to LTE, effectively making this phone useless. I've stayed for the unlimited data mostly but now I don't know.
    03-14-2012 02:03 PM
    I'm thinking about it. Just got an epic touch after having the nexus s (whose reception was also subpar) so I'm not sure if it's just a samsung problem or if Sprint's network has really gotten this bad (at least in Santa Cruz, CA) but I consistently get around 250kbps on the speed test app. I very rarely see spikes up to around 450, but that's the absolute max. Then I come here and see people complaining about getting 7-800 and I feel really bad lol. To top it off, we STILL don't have wimax here and sprint is now switching to LTE, effectively making this phone useless. I've stayed for the unlimited data mostly but now I don't know.
    When is Sprint switching to LTE? Damn, I made a mistake with signing another 2 yr contract with Sprint :/
    03-14-2012 04:11 PM
    Not leaving (yet), but watching my options, which is why I paid full price for my GS2 in October in order to have flexibility to re-up or jump in June when I'm out of contract. If anything, I may just go month to month if I can keep buying phones for five bills and not get chained down.

In Detroit, they never really got 4G up outside of the Wayne State/New Center areas and even there is was sketchy and unofficial. Last weekend I was in downtown Royal Oak and my speeds were breathtakingly fast. I drove a mile away, went into a diner and sat by the window and had 1 bar, if that. Bars have no relation to data speeds and I'm getting tired of my girlfriend staring at me while I wait a minute for a page to load before she says, "I thought that phone was supposed to be fast."

OTOH, Verizon are pure evil, so our choices are fast, expensive and evil or not too evil and a bargain, but craptastic data speeds.
    03-14-2012 08:12 PM
    When is Sprint switching to LTE? Damn, I made a mistake with signing another 2 yr contract with Sprint :/
    Starting in a couple months, I believe.
    03-15-2012 02:13 AM
    I don't think you made a mistake. It's going to be awhile before its up and running and wimax will be supported. I have to think that they will have incentives to buy an lte phone before a contract is up.
    03-15-2012 05:41 AM
    Here in Honolulu, Hawaii it really is bad.... I hope that even just the 3 g speeds will be improved I would be happy even with just that alone. Sprint is really frustrating me.

03-15-2012 12:48 PM
    Just an update for anyone that cares.... talked to sprint support and even talked to a supervisor about my issues with slow 3g and non existent 4G. They told me 4G connectivity is not guaranteed and that there is nothing wrong with the network here in Hawaii. They said that they would open a ticket and I should buy an airrave. Utter bull nonsense! Such a shame because I love this phone so much. I'm gonna price Verizon already I am tapping out!

03-19-2012 09:25 PM
    Just an update for anyone that cares.... talked to sprint support and even talked to a supervisor about my issues with slow 3g and non existent 4G. They told me 4G connectivity is not guaranteed and that there is nothing wrong with the network here in Hawaii. They said that they would open a ticket and I should buy an airrave. Utter bull nonsense! Such a shame because I love this phone so much. I'm gonna price Verizon already I am tapping out!

If you continue to complain they usually give in and give you the airrave. Or at least forum post have lead me to believe this is the case.
    03-19-2012 11:44 PM

Please keep us posted. I'm definitely interested in what you decide especially if you go back to verizon. I'm sticking with the gsII for now but maybe I'll give verizon a call to see what they can do for me. Probably not much considering after 16 years all they were willing to do was give me a new non 4g phone for free with a new 2 year contract after an update hosed my droid incredible.
    03-20-2012 05:47 AM
    I thought about it at first, had this beast since launch day. Sprints 3G speeds average between .40 and .90 not great but enough to do the job but 4G I average 9-13 Mbs down which is just fine for me. I average about 4-5 gigs p/m between pandora, utube, netflix, etc. With the 79.99 everything data plan and that xtra 300 minutes p/m i got a while back I probably will never leave this plan. When LTE gets deployed I hope sprint can find a way to rebound. I like rooting for the underdog :-) Btw, I'm in the greater DC/MD area.
    03-20-2012 08:10 AM
    Verizon was just to much for me. It was more expensive and offered less at the more expensive price. However if you can afford the price it is worth it. Verizon is the best, but with the best comes a price. I am very happy with Sprint, but if I could afford it I would probably go to Verizon honestly for the coverage alone. But with my financial situation my decision process looks like this:

cost > coverage > equipment

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G Touch
    03-21-2012 01:08 AM
    Sprint coverage in my area is amazing! I get good reception in areas where frineds on a different carrier get a bad signal.
    03-21-2012 10:04 AM
    I've said it before; Things started going downhill long before the iPhone. My previous phone, the Motorola Photon had an incredible radio and about a month after getting it I noticed the sheer decrease in signal.

Surfing the web was fun then it became a chore due to how slow the speeds were. Even now with my current phone, I need to be on wifi which is great at home but no good if out and about and wifi is not available.

Sent from my rooted WHITE SGSIIE4GT via TapaTalk
    03-21-2012 10:38 AM
    Coverage in my area is fine and I've had no complaints with what Sprint has provided. Plus, we have several phones attached to the account so it'll be an expensive move to take all lines off and move over to Verizon. I'll stay with Sprint unless something drastic occurs in the service we are provided.
    03-22-2012 09:30 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD